2020.04 Feedback

10 hours ago, mikannohako said:

@Noel Borthwick That's great to hear! I sent a message!

Also I found another issue on the same project.  When I really zoomed further and hit play, it won't stop.

The stop button gets grayed out and space key won't work either.

Do you see this in any other project? If it's specific to that one, it'd be helpful if you could upload it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

Do you see this in any other project? If it's specific to that one, it'd be helpful if you could upload it. 

@Jonathan Sasor

I tried it on newly created project file, and it wasn't reproducible in that new file.

So probably it's the problem related to that specific project file.

The original project file was actually created a long ago with older version of sonar. It might be X1, X2, or maybe X3.

I am kind re-working on that.

So it might have something to do with that.

The issue was seen on the same project file that I sent to Noel.

I'll send it to you in case.

Thanks!

On 5/11/2020 at 4:14 AM, mikannohako said:

@Noel Borthwick That's great to hear! I sent a message!

Also I found another issue on the same project.  When I really zoomed further and hit play, it won't stop.

The stop button gets grayed out and space key won't work either.

9XCHKo762o.gif

I too have had this issue on many projects (from before this latest CW version), randomly yet often enough. Going to Task Manager and closing out CW is the only way out.

I will try and reproduce next time it happens.

33 minutes ago, winkpain said:

I too have had this issue on many projects (from before this latest CW version), randomly yet often enough. Going to Task Manager and closing out CW is the only way out.

I will try and reproduce next time it happens.

Clicking CbB icon on your windows Task Bar 

might stop it even without closing the application.

I could stop it by doing that when that issue occurred.

8 minutes ago, mikannohako said:

Interesting. Simply clicking on the icon?  I will try next time...

Just now, winkpain said:

Interesting. Simply clicking on the icon?  I will try next time...

Yeah, like that.

I don't remember how exactly it worked but I believe it minimized the application as you would expect and then I could somehow retrieve the control after clicking the icon again.

I actually did that while screen recording for a gif but discarded the file as I didn't want to show my cluttered desktop.

1 minute ago, mikannohako said:

Yeah, like that.

I don't remember how exactly it worked but I believe it minimized the application as you would expect and then I could somehow retrieve the control after clicking the icon again.

I actually did that while screen recording for a gif but discarded the file as I didn't want to show my cluttered desktop.

Gotcha.

What screen recorder do you use? I'm actually trying to figure some out right now. I have Captura and LICEcap recording to GIF, but the files are still so large. I can't figure out how to reduce the size without actually just choosing a smaller area of screen to record..... (sorry for off-topic request)

5 minutes ago, winkpain said:

Gotcha.

What screen recorder do you use? I'm actually trying to figure some out right now. I have Captura and LICEcap recording to GIF, but the files are still so large. I can't figure out how to reduce the size without actually just choosing a smaller area of screen to record..... (sorry for off-topic request)

I used this one called recordit.

https://recordit.co/

It automatically uploads the file to the server and you can get the URL for the file after pressing stop button. As it uploads to the server, I have to be careful about what to record though.

(I could delete it later thought)

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, mikannohako said:

When my zoom gets ‘hung’ I use the WIN key to get enough control to Right Click the Task bar then click ‘Show Desktop’.  If I Zoomed After hitting play this works to regain control.  If I Zoom first then hit play, I have to close Cakewalk via the Task manager.

Dropdown Annoyance

It is so frustrating and irritating. Every time I click a clickable downpointing triangle drop down menu, I instinctively click the triangle again when I want to dismiss the menu, BUT THE MENU DOES'T GO AWAY!!! It's so annoying! I have to click somewhere else to get rid of the menu. I don't like that at all. I think it would be cleaner operation if you have to click on the same triangle to collapse it. Is that designed with intention???

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 9:59 PM, bitman said:

I hope someday the arranger preview will work "seamlessly" at high buffer counts.

Years ago, being weary of bumping buffers as a song progressed I set my system up to use 2048 buffers and hardware and midi direct monitoring to I could forget about the storage medium and just be free. Naturally, arranger preview exhibits huge gaps if I rearrange sections. I had been able to mouse-to-markers while the transport ran to hop around the arrangement with little more than a tick or two even with a dense, done, song at 2048 asio buffers. Wondering why if I can do that with my mouse, why can't cake make an arranger track?  I'll wait. Things will get better. I'm not moving my buffers. I like it this way. 🙂

2048 is excessively high. Most drivers won't even allow that. When you click with the mouse the same thing occurs except that it continues to play the old audio until the seek occurs. This fools your ear into thinking that it happens within a tick.  We can't do that with the arranger or we'll "leak" data from outside a section boundary. Hence silence is streamed until the seek is realized.

Running at lower buffer sizes greatly improves this.

Hi! I found a cosmetic bug. After splitting an Instrument Track, the Audio and Midi tab buttons are not removed in the inspector section, although they should be hidden. I have to click to one of them to hide them as expected.

000030.png.86970b73bf13a275512ac053f7cc0a11.png000031.png.2d4e40ac9abcd109ca745d0b20103dcd.png

And vica versa, after making an Instrument Track (by combining a Midi and an attached Audio track), the Audio and Midi tab buttons are not visible. I have to select an other track and then select again this track to force Cakewalk to display these tab buttons.

000032.png.c1eace0af957fbdf539a104bac2ff178.png

000033.png.d0a60914e0b9937563909846b58a67a1.png

Mislocalization to Japanese

[Global menu]
File > Import > BandLab Project...

[Preferences] MIDI - Playback and Recording
Always Echo Current MIDI Track

[Preferences] Customization - Keyboard Shortcuts
Input Echo
Unfreeze Track

And...  most of assigned Keys are not displayed with BOLD font even if it is bound as default.

FYI: If you need correct Japanese phrases, I can provide them.

Hello!

I'm just hobbyist in music and try different free DAWs. What I say. Cakewalk by BandLab is cool! Especially sound engine fast enough on my old system.

But why there is no MIDI routing without "third leg" in the?

MIDI modifiers plugins cannot be routed by simple way. That feature is in REAPER, Tracktion Waveform and others, but not in Cakewalk. Why? I want to use not only Cakewalk's arpeggiator, but, for example, BlueArp too. Of course, I can do it by not usual way. And what about to do it without excessive things?

Any plans to implement this feature in future?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tomoko Mikami said:

Another behavior change?
When I split a clip, it automatically includes the last control change event with the same value, which is very annoying.
No option to bring it back to the old behavior?

Go to Preferences->Customization->Editing and un-check "Split MIDI Notes".

• Like 1

I put these comments elsewhere but it looks like they belong here.

LOVE the Arranger Track! A few nitpicks:

* Sections definitely need to obey dragging of clips in Track View. Moving around clips and then requiring moving the clips to line up makes it hard to use.

* As others have mentioned, arranger track needs to be visible in PRV, Staff View, etc.

* "Compact mode" would be nice to show more sections in the arranger pane on the left side by having each tile take up less vertical space

* When I hover over a section in the section pane, they highlight, but that's not useful. I would love it if you hovered over a section in the section pane, that everywhere that pane is used in the currently displayed arrangement is highlighted. SUPER useful

* I find myself constantly selecting stuff in Track View or PRV, and then wanting to tell Cakewalk "Make this selection a new Arranger Track section". Then I realize it's not done that way and I have to drag in the Arranger track itself. Not a big deal, but I forget every time.

* this is a v2 thing, but I'd love to be able to have overlapping sections. Should those last 2 bars be part of this section or not? I'd like to try both ways, and so I need to split it into two sections.

* I'd like to click within a tile in the arrangement pane and have playback start there. (For example, clicking in the very middle of a tile would start playback halfway through the section, etc.) It's ok that I can only click on the play in the tile to play the entire section, but as a lot of arrangement experimentation involves transitions, I want to hear just the last two bars or one section to hear if it flows into the next section. Using the play buttons in the arrangement, I can only playback entire sections.

* when committing an arrangement, I appreciate the warning, but I would like it to give me the option to save the arrangement as a different project name, so that I can export multiple arrangements as separate Cakewalk files.

Here are things I love about Arranger:

* Random colorization of tiles. THANK YOU! I wish that mechanism was available everywhere in Cakewalk!

* General intuitiveness. Unlike many Cakewalk features, I picked up how to use the Arranger Track almost immediately without looking at help files. That was a delightful experience.

* Clever font squishing in small sections - I noticed and appreciated that attention to detail!

• Thanks 1

On 4/27/2020 at 1:29 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

@Sean Aitken I'm not sure what bug you are referring to. SONAR did not support mono in / stereo out plugins and neither does CbB yet. This is not a regression by any means. You can easily try adding any Waves mono in -> stereo out plugin to SONAR or CbB and it will only work in mono, because input and output interleave is always symmetric today. Waves is also aware of this.

As Jon mentioned, it so happens that we have been doing some extensive work with an overhaul of the interleave and bypass management and have addressed many longstanding issues. However I have yet to look at the mono - stereo processing case.   While I definitely agree that its desirable for this to work there are a bunch of dependencies that complicate it. I'll know when I look into it further.

Well this is interesting. I just installed the latest 2020.05 update, and things have changed for the better! I can now switch a mono track to have stereo interleave and use Waves stereo plugins.. and it works perfectly! I tried a delay and reverb. Both worked as I would expect.

I also checked and it seems the dry signal is panned center coming into the plugin, which it is, and I'm happy (I was afraid that it might enter a stereo plugin on the left side only :P. The Mono-Stereo plugins still don't work, but honestly I don't care.

Maybe I'm hallucinating, but this is exciting!

On another note, I recently have been using Cubase Pro. I just double-checked and it suffers from not allowing mono-> stereo on a mono track too! In order for any mono->stereo effects to work (or stereo effect with mono recording), the track MUST be of type "stereo" when it's created. it doesn't give me the option to click the mode and change it like the interleave option in Cakewalk.

Nice work! I feel so emotionally torn with Cubase and Sonar...er.. Cakewalk right now.. :)

(wait... maybe the interleave button was simply missing before this update?... hmmmm.. am I losing my mind?....)

Cheers!
- Sean

Edited by Sean Aitken