2020.04 Feedback

Hey! So, after using it for awhile now. I have to say it has some minor issues to be worked out (the selection of clips specifically dragging the ends seems to be tripping people up). One suggestion I had on a livestream where I was showcasing it that I thought would be an awesome addition is the ability to "trigger" the different arrangement parts with an external controller or in the matrix view!

All in all, I really love the feature and see it giving Abelton Live a run for its money! Keep up the good work!

On 5/5/2020 at 10:18 AM, winkpain said:

It seems that the "Heal tool" and "mute previous takes" suggestions you mention here, which were new to me, only work on audio clips.  Neither technique work (for me) when recording MIDI. Is this as intended?

Healing requires clips to be perfectly abutting, and MIDI will often have gaps between events. Comping workflow is optimized for audio. MIDI is more easily 'comped' using a conventional copy/cut/paste approach.

Mute Previous Takes works with MIDI, but requires having Auto Punch enabled as shown the video.

56 minutes ago, David Baay said:

Healing requires clips to be perfectly abutting, and MIDI will often have gaps between events. Comping workflow is optimized for audio. MIDI is more easily 'comped' using a conventional copy/cut/paste approach.

Mute Previous Takes works with MIDI, but requires having Auto Punch enabled as shown the video.

Got it.

It's specifically the Mute Previous Takes with AutoPunch, Sound on Sound, and loop recording that (now I understand the comment in the manual) doesn't work when recording MIDI. I see that it is intended - not that I understand why, but no bother.

The Comping mode and "healing" undesired split clips with Bound to Clip is the way to go there with this setup.

Thanks!

32 minutes ago, winkpain said:

It's specifically the Mute Previous Takes with AutoPunch, Sound on Sound, and loop recording that (now I understand the comment in the manual) doesn't work when recording MIDI.

Ah, yes, 'Previous Take' in this context means 'previous recording'.  You have to restart the transport in between takes.

• Thanks 1

In last few releases, the "Auto Track Zoom" state is not saved with the project. Every time I re-open a project, I have to re-enable 'auto-track-zoom' !

And thank you for this wonderful release with all the great new features. Absolutely loving it.

Edited by Deepak Chandel

On 4/27/2020 at 1:29 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

@Sean Aitken I'm not sure what bug you are referring to. SONAR did not support mono in / stereo out plugins and neither does CbB yet. This is not a regression by any means. You can easily try adding any Waves mono in -> stereo out plugin to SONAR or CbB and it will only work in mono, because input and output interleave is always symmetric today. Waves is also aware of this.

As Jon mentioned, it so happens that we have been doing some extensive work with an overhaul of the interleave and bypass management and have addressed many longstanding issues. However I have yet to look at the mono - stereo processing case.   While I definitely agree that its desirable for this to work there are a bunch of dependencies that complicate it. I'll know when I look into it further.

Noel! I've seen your name for many, many years. You speak with authority, and glad to get your opinion. I cracked open a project (with a bunch of missing old Waves plugins, incidentally) to see what happened in SONAR Producer. I know I'm not losing my mind!

Regarding this statement: "SONAR did not support mono in / stereo out plugins and neither does CbB yet. "

This is what I found:

• Waves plugins still had mono output even with SONAR Platinum. Wow... this surprised me. (I did recently invest in new Waves plugins when I built my newer computer... coincidence?)
  • The Sonitus delay had no problem converting the mono track to have stereo out. See attachment. It shows the inbound mono signal in the FX chain, and on the other side is a stereo signal. The meter shows a difference in the channels, and it sounds correct!

Maybe I've been lucky in the past with using non-Waves plugins for chorusing or other effects, but this really does make me even more confused. I also noticed the interleave button isn't present in Sonar Platinum. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something?

Thanks!
- Sean

Annotation 2020-05-10 012641.png

On 4/25/2020 at 1:12 PM, Johnny Penk said:

Thank you for the update, but there is a big issue with saving my current setup.

I did workspace and I run it in custom, but what’s strange is when I switch it to custom, set all my windows and how I like it then save it, close out then reopen, it goes back to workspace and all the views goes back to default. Let me explain further. Open Bandlab, undock the console, drag it to my right monitor, in the left monitor I have track view. The previous versions there was no issue and it remembered the next time I brought up a project. Simply click on my project and console view would be on my right monitor and track view on the left monitor. This version doesn’t save this and defaults to one window on the left monitor. Then I need to undock the console again, drag it to the right monitor and so on. The save function is not working when it comes to how I have my setup for my projects. 
Is there something I’m missing of how I can get it to save my current setup? 
Is there a way to rollback to the previous version? 
Thank you 

Hi, I too have this issue.  I run two screens with the Left one showing a Track View and the Right one displaying the Console View, etc.  If I save a project and then open it at a later time/date the view defaults to just my main screen and I have to undock the console view and reposition it every time.   Most annoying and time wasting.  Regards and TIA for any solutions.

19 minutes ago, bitman said:

Here is a thought.

While the arrangement is playing, highlight or otherwise indicate, which block on the left side stack is currently playing.

You should see a progress bar on the arrangement section that is playing in the inspector.

8 hours ago, conwayt said:

Hi, I too have this issue.  I run two screens with the Left one showing a Track View and the Right one displaying the Console View, etc.  If I save a project and then open it at a later time/date the view defaults to just my main screen and I have to undock the console view and reposition it every time.   Most annoying and time wasting.  Regards and TIA for any solutions.

If you're using a workspace, and the workspace is set to include the console view position then this is the reason you're needing to reposition it.

You have 3 choices here:

1. When you set the new console position, re-save your workspace. This will then become the new default position for this workspace, and will affect all projects.

2. Remove Window Layout from the workspace, and re-save it. Now each project will dictate the window layout.

3. Don't use workspaces.

• Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

55 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

If you're using a workspace, and the workspace is set to include the console view position then this is the reason you're needing to reposition it.

TY for your suggestions.  Recently I haven't been using my Workspace that places a full screen Console on my second monitor, but from when I did IIRC, the Console was in exactly the same place (monitor 2) with the same status (full screen) for any projects I used it on.  I don't ever remember having to reposition it for any projects, but that could have been a result of the projects I was using at the time.  So, now I am wondering and when I use it again, I will look at the issue and suggestions here.  Maybe I had the problem described and never noticed it. 

Anyhow, thanks for raising the issue and for the suggestions.    

Edited by User 905133
to fix number agreement (issue and suggestions)

I hope someday the arranger preview will work "seamlessly" at high buffer counts.

Years ago, being weary of bumping buffers as a song progressed I set my system up to use 2048 buffers and hardware and midi direct monitoring to I could forget about the storage medium and just be free. Naturally, arranger preview exhibits huge gaps if I rearrange sections. I had been able to mouse-to-markers while the transport ran to hop around the arrangement with little more than a tick or two even with a dense, done, song at 2048 asio buffers. Wondering why if I can do that with my mouse, why can't cake make an arranger track?  I'll wait. Things will get better. I'm not moving my buffers. I like it this way. 🙂

Edited by bitman

14 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@mikannohakoWe have fixed this for the next update. Can you share your project so we can verify that it's the same issue?

@Noel Borthwick That's great to hear! I sent a message!

Also I found another issue on the same project.  When I really zoomed further and hit play, it won't stop.

The stop button gets grayed out and space key won't work either.

9XCHKo762o.gif