Left Only Track

twanghang

Question

I made the goof of setting the input on my interface to left side only and got a take of one of the best performances of my life, so I don't want to try and recapture that magic.

When I try to pan it center, there's obviously a drop in volume because it's only half there.

Is there a way to make this track center in the stereo field post recording?

4 answers to this question

There are a few ways of centering a lopsided track.

1) The easiest is to make it a mono track by clicking the stereo/mono interleave button (A in the screenshot below), making the track channel mono.

2) You can bounce to track. Right click on the track and select "bounce to tracks".  The final dialog box will allow you to choose how the mixdown returns your track. Be sure to exclude any effects processing.

3) Duplicate track, by r/c on the track and selecting "Duplicate Track". This will give you an identical track to your recorded track. Pan this dup opposite of the original. In this case, you'll get a phase cancellation. Click the phase button (B) on one of your tracks. This inverts the track, and allows you to move the placement of your recording in the stereo spectrum.

You can also get some neat doubling and delay effects by sliding one of the tracks by a few, or several ticks.

Hope this helps. Have fun.

Screenshot_20200424-122612.png