Guitar Center Distribution Center Back Open

Mandolin Picker

A follow-up to an earlier posting on the Guitar Center Distribution Warehouse being forced to shut down due to COVID-19

Earlier this month, Guitar Center was forced to shut down its Kansas City warehouse after the city’s health department stated that the retailer was in violation of the mayor’s “stay-at-home” order. Looks like the city officials have had a change of heart and allowed the facility to reopen.

New measures
Guitar Center was able to resume operations after company representatives were able to convince the mayor’s office that it would employ stricter measures during the ‘stay-at-home’ order, in compliance with the city’s Health Department’s guidelines. These changes will include closing the lobby to walk-in customers, ending in-person sales, following CDC guidelines for sanitation and employee protection, and reorganizing schedules so as to minimize the number of employees in the building at any given time.

More at https://www.gearnews.com/guitar-center-reopens-its-kansas-facility/

• Like 1

As the recent spate of closures of meat packing plants has demonstrated there need to be clear and effective guidelines requiring changes to the workplace in many industries. Although most of us are cognizant of the risk of customers becoming infected by a clerk or service worker or by another shopper in a store, the risk of worker to worker transmission in the course of business as usual where customers have no direct contact is serious. The workplace represents a location where employees are often expected to gather in potentially dangerous numbers and proximity. Standard workplace regulations were never intended to deal with an epidemic, few organizations have anyone with the expertise to design effective countermeasures, and regulatory agencies do not have  anything like the personnel needed to assure that workplaces are in compliance even with the broad general advice given to the public. It makes little sense to ban people from gathering at restaurants if you force them to get together along a closely packed assembly line. So absent a clear demonstration of effective worker to worker isolation it is absolutely appropriate to avoid having people work together in business activity that is not essential to society. I am eagerly waiting for my order, but I would not want anyone to suffer illness just to get it to me sooner.

Edited by slartabartfast

I think the city was right to come down on them. Guitar Center needs to protect its workforce and the hell with profit for the next several months.My BIL works for a university and they have a crew of bus drivers to shuttle students around the multi-campus site. All of the bus drivers got Covid and two in  ICU. This thing is no joke on how easy it is to spread.

• Like 1