Audio issue/bug

Phil The Fleshdemon

A problem that has been unfixed. Sometimes pressing play will suddenly create a loud beep continuously until you click the midi/audio reset and then click an input echo button. During recording it sometimes does the loud beep but when you stop it will actually stop, most of the time. Sometimes just clicking an input echo button on any channel will work, other times you must reset audio/midi. No idea what causes this but its the only DAW I've used that does this.

This issue isn't a new thing, it's cropped up several times over the years:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/X1-Bug-Stop-andor-Pause-cause-continuous-audio-quotbuzzquot-m2197350.aspx
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Strange-loud-buzz-m3537847.aspx
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Audio-quotbuzz-sawquot-effect-m974755.aspx
http://forum.cakewalk.com/buzzing-noise-m3668256.aspx
http://forum.cakewalk.com/AAARRGH-Is-nothing-ever-easy-Loud-buzzing-in-Sonar-m1621675.aspx

There are more reports, but they all say more or less the same thing.

I believe there was a workaround for some people, which was to set the "Play Effects Tails After Stopping" option. However, this option no longer exists in CbB.

For me it's a minor irritation, but it would be good to know what's causing it / how to fix it.

• 3 months later...

Just to clarify, does this happen on projects that you started in Cakewalk, ie have only ever been in Cakewalk or does it happen on projects that may have been created in Sonar and then transferred to Cakewalk.

For me I can have it happen on a brand new project, or older projects. It's pretty random.

It doesn't happen often enough for me to be more than slight annoyance. It maybe happens once or twice a month, and switching the audio engine off/on fixes it immediately.

The last time it happened to me was on 5th May, while I was recording the demo for this post: 

If you look closely at when it's recording, no waveform is drawn during recording. This is when the random "buzz" happened. 

Which device are you folks seeing this with?
Do you get a continuous  buzz or a buzz which then stops on its own. The buzz is likely a symptom that the driver doesn't actually start asking for audio buffers and is internally just cycling its last two buffers leading to the buzz (motorboating)

Is it in ASIO mode only or can you repro it in other driver modes?

26 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Which device are you folks seeing this with?
Do you get a continuous  buzz or a buzz which then stops on its own. The buzz is likely a symptom that the driver doesn't actually start asking for audio buffers and is internally just cycling its last two buffers leading to the buzz (motorboating)

Is it in ASIO mode only or can you repro it in other driver modes?

I'm seeing it on both a 1st gen Scarlett 18i20 & 1st gen Scarlett 6i6 (on two separate machines), both in ASIO mode. It is very infrequent, so much so that it don't consider it much of an issue... especially since stopping/starting the audio engine cures it immediately.

I'm pretty sure you're correct in saying it is a driver issue though.

I think I may be able to reproduce it just by stopping / starting lots of times, so I'll switch over to WASAPI for a while on my 6i6 setup and see if I can reproduce it.

Another option would be to try using the ASIOLink driver, acting as a wrapper for the Focusrite one. I didn't notice any difference in latency when using this, and only a very slight increase in CPU. Maybe it handles calls subtly differently, which might be all it needs.

[Edit] - I just noticed my earlier post in Feb, where it was happening more frequently. I sometimes have my Focusrite set to being the Windows sound device, especially if I'm following a tutorial... maybe this might make a difference. I've not being doing this as much lately, which is maybe why it's not happening as much? The next time it happens, I'll make a note of whether Windows is using the Focusrite or the motherboard sound device.

Edited by msmcleod
  • Thanks 1

Ok, I've been hammering my space bar for the past 20 minutes. 

Here's what I've found...

Focusrite ASIO:  I can reproduce the buzz maybe 1 times out of 100 start/stops. It makes no difference if Windows is using the device as the default or whether Windows is set to using the motherboard device.

WASAPI: Cannot reproduce, however WASAPI isn't an option for me. Latency is terrible. 12ms was the minimum that would cope, whereas ASIO was 1.5ms. Also, not all the inputs/outputs show up.

ASIOLink Pro, using Focusrite ASIO as its primary device (with Cakewalk set to use ASIOLink Pro): Cannot reproduce.

So I'm pretty sure it's the Focusrite ASIO driver. Maybe the ASIOLink Pro device is either different enough in its implementation to hide the issue, or gives enough of a timing difference to hide it.

Here's the weird thing though... on previous occasions, I had to stop/restart the audio engine. This time around, just stopping/starting the transport solved it.

As I've been routinely restarting the audio engine whenever it happens (which in normal operation is not often), I'm not sure when this change happened - but it certainly makes it less serious IMO.

Thanks for the details. It confirms my theory that this is an ASIO issue. I've only seen this happen on a Zoom device that has a pretty bad ASIO driver. I've never seen it with the FocusRite 6i6 2nd Gen I have FWIW.
I suspect there is something with the series of calls we make when play is pressed exposing this issue with some drivers.  Pressing play essentially stops and restarts the driver. Its likely one out of every N times the driver is getting into a funky state and stopping and restarting (or resetting the engine) solves it. 

• Thanks 1

I have a Focusrite 2i4 (1st generation) and as of late, I can't play (let alone record) any project without the audio dropping out (a continuous beep). I have to continuously stop and play the transport to get it to work, but it's a definite problem and can't get anything done. If I get lucky, it'll actually play any given time I stop and play....most of the time it's the audio dropping out. I was thinking it's my 1st gen 2i4 that doesn't have driver support anymore and possibly of getting a new audio interface.....unless there's a solution to this??

I have this issue sporadically with my 1st Gen Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. The audio engine reset button usually doesn't help, nor does the stop button. Toggling the global input echo on and off usually helps. Sometimes I get to go motorboating with the buzzing, sometimes there's no sound at all (maybe there's just silence in the buffers that it keeps juggling about).

2 hours ago, msmcleod said:

@Mesh - you could try using ASIOLink Pro, setting it's ASIO device to your 2i4.

This cured the problem for me on my 6i6, and didn't add any additional latency.

Details of the download are in this post: 

Very glad to hear that Mark!!

I did see that ODeus ASIO link and before installing this, I wanted to double check and see if there's an available solution within Cakewalk. Not being able to use the DAW due to minor latency/continuous audio dropouts puts a definite stop on everything.  

Truly appreciate all the tips. links, help....my wife should be happy if I won't need to buy a new interface (although I'm ok with it). :)

• Haha 1