Deleting Markers: 15 minutes

Helos Bonos

Why in the world would I have to consult the User's Manual to delete a marker? I mean how hard could something like that be really? You left click and the box pops up and maybe there's a delete button in there? Nope. Ok, You right click on the marker and there is a delete option. Nope! Hmm... Double click it maybe? Nope! Just *****ed up all my track heights. Gotta go redo all those now. Ok, I give up. Let's check the manual.

To delete a marker
1. Press and hold the left mouse button while pointing to a marker in the Time Ruler.
2. Press DELETE, and release the mouse button.

Ok so....... how long do I hold the left mouse button? 5 seconds? No. 30 seconds? Hm. No. 5 Minutes? ***** THAT!

OK, I GIVE UP. HOW DO YOU DELETE A FRIGGIN MARKER????? Is there a special class I have to take? Marker Deletion in Cakewalk 101? SMDH. 😡🤬😠

• Great Idea 1

Open the Markers View. Select your marker(s). Hit Delete, or the minus (-) icon. Done. It is very convenient to keep the MV open and floating somewhere (you do not need it streched too big), for Markers navigation. You also have the Markers module in the Control Bar, but I prefer the MV.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

Thanks Jose. Are you telling me that is the only way to delete a marker? I looked at the Marker module and wow, surprise, no delete option.

Maybe Cakewalk secretly does not want its users to delete markers? Maybe that's how they make their money? Marker royalties.

• Like 1

image.png.ff918f020a57a162e99f0c7f14335011.png

JMO: If there were a delete marker button in the Markers Module, it would be too easy to accidentally delete a marker.

image.png.d0f8fbdb308e74f8974a9c0b6982b576.png

Right context menu for modules seems to relate to the modules, not the functions within the modules.

JMO: If there were a delete marker button, it might be helpful to have an optional "Are you sure?" pop-up that is on by default, but could be turned off with a preferences settings. This would benefit both people who make mistakes and those who don't.

4 hours ago, Helos Bonos said:

Let's check the manual.

To delete a marker
1. Press and hold the left mouse button while pointing to a marker in the Time Ruler.
2. Press DELETE, and release the mouse button.

Ok so....... how long do I hold the left mouse button? 5 seconds? No. 30 seconds? Hm. No. 5 Minutes? ***** THAT!

Just tried this.  It worked instantly when I held the left mouse button and hit delete while the <||> M designation was showing.

Thanks for mentioning this method; for part of my workflow, this option would be preferable to the methods I usually loose.

Edited by User 905133
(2) to address the amount of time needed to hold the left mouse button down (1) to address the possibility of a delete marker button on the module
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Helos Bonos said:

Thanks Jose. Are you telling me that is the only way to delete a marker? I looked at the Marker module and wow, surprise, no delete option.

Maybe Cakewalk secretly does not want its users to delete markers? Maybe that's how they make their money? Marker royalties.

Actually, I tried the Press and Hold + Delete here, and it works fine. I am used to the Markers View, so I had not paid attention to that way, but as I said, it works. You need to have the cursor change to the Marker cursor. that appears when you move the Marker with the mouse, two little arrows with an "M". Keep the mouse button pressed and hit Del. 

Edit: I did not read to the bottom @User 905133 beat me to it. :)

Edited by JoseC
  • Like 2

Thanks errbody.  I guess there is something wrong with my  Cakealk since the delete option does not appear for me when I left click the marker.

And while we're on the subject of markers, as a new user, I was a bit disappointed that you can't color the markers.

3 minutes ago, Helos Bonos said:

Thanks errbody.  I guess there is something wrong with my  Cakealk since the delete option does not appear for me when I left click the marker.

And while we're on the subject of markers, as a new user, I was a bit disappointed that you can't color the markers.

Left, not right. @chuckebaby is saying the same as @User 905133 and I,  hold and press DEL.

1 hour ago, Helos Bonos said:

Thanks errbody.  I guess there is something wrong with my  Cakealk since the delete option does not appear for me when I left click the marker. [emphasis added]

No "option" appears for me either.  The marker I am over just get deleted immediately when I hold the left mouse button down and then press delete. 

Is it possible that your computer itself is set up so that the left mouse button does something different?

• Like 1

PROBLEM SOLVED.

You can call me a jack@$$ if you like. But I have NEVER seen any command that combines clicking on something while pressing a KEY. Keyword here is KEY.

I am been expecting to see a drop down of sorts with a delete button but I have just realized after looking through all these comments, it has dawned on me to press the DELETE KEY ON MY KEYBOARD. Sorry, but that was not obvious. Yeah, "press" is different than "click" but I don't focus on such trivial semantics *sarcasm*. I need to see the word KEY!!! Press the DELETE KEY on your TYPING KEYBOARD.

Thanks yall.

Edited by Helos Bonos

6 minutes ago, Kevin Perry said:

There's actually a key binding bug(?) here that can kick in: if you explicitly bind Delete to "Edit | Delete" in Global Bindings, it won't delete a marker in this fashion.

WOW!!  I just tested this!  I assigned the Delete key on my Qwerty keyboard to "Close Current Tab" and sure enough, it closed something I was working on!!!  😞 

Back when we were closer to the DOS era, I used to be able to tell a computer person who had spent time doing phone support because they would say "asterisk period asterisk" rather than "star dot star." You would learn (without being told) on your first day on the phones never to say "star dot star," nor to say "just press any key." You say "press Enter." Things would go more smoothly and calls would be resolved more quickly.

Other sample phrase from that time: "backslash, that's the one that leans to the left."

Seriously, though, Helos' experience, even in the face of being given instructions, serves to illustrate that a new user (rightly) expects the object itself to give clues as to how to perform important operations on itself. Having to memorize keystrokes just ain't fair play in 2020.

The user base has long been requesting that markers of color be represented in the Cakewalk timeline. Observing the design of the Arranger View, it seems obvious that the current product management understands the value of color-coding different sections and events in a project so I'm hoping that we'll see it soon.

• Thanks 1

I appreciate learning this as well. I've always opened the marker-view to delete, this is perfect for quickly getting rid of a marker on the fly. For deeper editing, there is the markers view. 

as far as  -  " Having to memorize keystrokes just ain't fair play in 2020. " neither is interpreting what an icon is supposed to mean with minimum and typically no text labeling. I can appreciate cake utilizing  the  ( S )elect (P)unch  (M)arker  characters here.  -

• Like 1