Multi track recording

casio3000

Hello everyone 

This is my first post in this forum. I want to record a multi track song using cakewalk and my casio ctx300 digital keyboard. I have some issues with recording the tracks and i hope someone can help me with my questions 

1- I selected string sound on my keyboard and recorded the first midi track. However during the play back  track one keeps changing instrument when i change the sound on my keyboard and when i turn the keyboard on and off the instrument sound changes to default keyboard sound which is piano. I want to fix the instrument sound for this track to String regardless keyboard sound.

2-After recording how do i change the instruments for each track in cakewalk ? can i change the instrument on cakewalk and playback on keyboard? so if track 2 was recorded using guitar, after recording i want to change it to flute and want to hear flute sound during play back on my keyboard

3- i am using rhythm accompaniment for my music, what is the best channel arrangement for recording them? i found out that track 10 records the drum. but play back drum is different from what I have made on my keyboard 

Edited by casio3000

Welcome to the forum.
These are some very basic MIDI functions. Each MIDI track must use a different channel number when playing through your keyboard. Maximize each track to see all the MIDI assignments you can select, such as channel, bank and patch (instrument sound). Maybe go to https://bandlab.github.io/cakewalk/docs/Cakewalk Reference Guide.pdf for some detailed information.

16 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

Welcome to the forum.
These are some very basic MIDI functions. Each MIDI track must use a different channel number when playing through your keyboard. Maximize each track to see all the MIDI assignments you can select, such as channel, bank and patch (instrument sound). Maybe go to https://bandlab.github.io/cakewalk/docs/Cakewalk Reference Guide.pdf for some detailed information.

Hello ans thanks for the reply. I have organised the channels and can record the multitrack song.  I can change instrument type for channel one using my keyboard but for other channel the instrument seems to be fixed wont follow the instrument selected on my keyboard. 

I'm not familiar with the Casio, but make sure it's in some kind of 'Multitimbral' performance mode, and you are playing it by echoing MIDI from the keyboard through Cakewalk and back to the Casio's sound module with Local Control turned OFF in the Casio so that Cakewalk can re-channel the messages appropriately for whichever track has focus when you're rehearsing/recording.  Then, ideally, you should find and import an 'Instrument Definition' for it, which will allow you to select patches for each MIDI track using Bank and Patch controls in the track, rather than having to set them in the Casio, and reset them every time you use it with a different project that uses a different combination of sounds.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, David Baay said:

I'm not familiar with the Casio, but make sure it's in some kind of 'Multitimbral' performance mode, and you are playing it by echoing MIDI from the keyboard through Cakewalk and back to the Casio's sound module with Local Control turned OFF in the Casio so that Cakewalk can re-channel the messages appropriately for whichever track has focus when you're rehearsing/recording.  Then, ideally, you should find and import an 'Instrument Definition' for it, which will allow you to select patches for each MIDI track using Bank and Patch controls in the track, rather than having to set them in the Casio, and reset them every time you use it with a different project that uses a different combination of sounds.

Thanks David seems I need to control the sound through cakewalk for other channels

Edited by casio3000

FWIW, I found a link to a Casio instrument Definition file at the bottom of this page that was posted relatively recently:

https://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/16142-casio-instrument-definition-files/

To import it, go to Preferences > MIDI > Instruments, click the Define button, and then the Import button, and navigate to the .INS file. Assign it to channels of the output port that the Casio is on (maybe its own USB port), and then you will see Casio banks and patches in the relevant drop-down controls of any track that's ha souput assigned to that port.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David Baay said:

FWIW, I found a link to a Casio instrument Definition file at the bottom of this page that was posted relatively recently:

https://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/16142-casio-instrument-definition-files/

To import it, go to Preferences > MIDI > Instruments, click the Define button, and then the Import button, and navigate to the .INS file. Assign it to channels of the output port that the Casio is on (maybe its own USB port), and then you will see Casio banks and patches in the relevant drop-down controls of any track that's ha souput assigned to that port.

Many thanks 

3 hours ago, David Baay said:

Hi David Can't believe i followed what you wrote and the issue is fixed!!! now i can assign sound and instrument to each track 

Thanks a heap mate