Tempo changes in Midi ignored by SOnar

robinibbo

Question

It seems my Sonar ignores the tempo changes when playing back a midi file?  If I load the midi file it plays at whatever tempo is set in the transport regardless of tempo changes in the file. I've tried it in Mulabs DAW and it works fine and you can watch the tempo changes as they occur. Problem without tempo is that the midi loses its musicality, frustrating.

Anyone help, sure its an easy fix?  tried looking at preferences but nothing there that I can see.

Midi file attached to experiment with.

Thanks in anticipation of help!

Corelli Concerto.mid

• Like 1

3 answers to this question

In Sonar, importing a midi file doesn't import tempo and key signatures and the like. The project has all that information. 😀

You must use File -> Open. This imports all the tempo, time signature info, etc. with the midi data

Then you can either save as a project or, if you already have a project where you need it, you need to copy special all the midi data and paste special all into your project.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Nigel Mackay said:

In Sonar, importing a midi file doesn't import tempo and key signatures and the like. The project has all that information. 😀

You must use File -> Open. This imports all the tempo, time signature info, etc. with the midi data

Then you can either save as a project or, if you already have a project where you need it, you need to copy special all the midi data and paste special all into your project.

Thank you Nigel, I knew it would be simple but I wasted half a day of lockdown discovering my settings and discovering midi editing!

Footnote: As a learning opportunity (I almost never play midi files), I downloaded this and clicked on it from my web browser. This opened the file in Cakewalk. After pointing all the tracks to TTS-1 and starting the transport, I saw that the tempo changes worked (confirmed by following along in the tempo view).   

I have liked Corelli since High School; so, thanks for the question, the answer, and for the Concerto.