Intro to EZBass Video

cclarry

I wonder how well one will be able to use the MIDI generated with other bass libraries/VSTis. Amplesound's Riffer is pretty much tied to their products and I don't see a way around it. As well as note on and off, pitch bend and other standard MIDI commands key switches, midi channel and velocity control articulations, string selection, fretting position etc. are generated.  There is no standard for this so the MIDI wont sound right on another instrument. If this is the case with EZBass Toontrack's basses will need to be very good and varied as its unlikely one will be able to use other  libraries like I usually do with EZKeys.

I do look forward to seeing what this can do. Riffer has an awful lot going for it but its also difficult to move beyond the preset patterns, maybe its too complex or requires a deep knowledge of bass playing to effectively make decisions on string selection and write a convincing part?

When I first saw Melodyne many, many years ago I used the expression “jaw dropping”. I think this might be in the same category. It’ll be a game changer for many. The price is actually lower than I thought it might be, considering there is nothing like this. 

• Like 2

Many of the Amplesound Basses can do what this does.  They don't quite have a song builder
and it's not quite so intuitive because of that, but the patterns are drag and drop where you can
easily build a song on the track with the included patterns and edit as you please.
The advantage to this is a single Plugin, which will inevitably have "Bass Packs" that
you can purchase for different Basses, rather than a host that has to load the instrument 
every time you want to change bass types, and the song builder, which is common now
with SD3, and EZD2....and it will definitely be worth the asking price!

• Like 3
  • Great Idea 1

Because I'm not a leyboard player I've been relying on EZKeys for that.

Being a bass play (of some sorts) I see this as an inspirational tool that I can use to then recreate a more (or less) intricate on one of my basses. 

I'm a VST/VSTi 'ho (as many of you are aware) and so I'll get this and any expansions they heave including more MIDI (after market is 'where it's at', to quote Beck) 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

I want it, but for me one of the most fun parts of making music is creating my own ...

Does anybody know if this is like EZKeys and the  MIDI can be used by any virtual instrument you own?  It would be nice to use all my favorite bass libraries.

I agree, I love creating my own bass guitar parts - one of the most fun parts of writing and creating music, even though I’m six string guy and singer by trade.  I’m sure I’ll buy this and maybe even get some ideas for playing real bass parts myself. 

Also agree the use of the MIDI on other instruments would be great. I do this with EZ keys and Omnisphere, and EZ bass and Trillion would be natural bedfellows. Here’s hoping - wow that would be fun. 

I'm really looking forward to this one especially for the writing and editing parts and if all else fails I can use it for my favorite Amplesound bass YinYang , which I know has some similar editing features but not the instrument match

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vernon Barnes said:

As well as note on and off, pitch bend and other standard MIDI commands key switches, midi channel and velocity control articulations, string selection, fretting position etc. are generated

Do the AmpleSound basses support Guitar MIDI? Their guitars do (or at least the ones I've used), meaning that MIDI channel 1 corresponds to string 1, channel2 to string 2, etc. This means that fretting position could be maintained in another instrument, if it supported guitar MIDI as well.

5 minutes ago, antler said:

Do the AmpleSound basses support Guitar MIDI? Their guitars do (or at least the ones I've used), meaning that MIDI channel 1 corresponds to string 1, channel2 to string 2, etc. This means that fretting position could be maintained in another instrument, if it supported guitar MIDI as well.

I would imagine that the do antler...but don't know for sure, but very likely
if the Guitars do!

8 hours ago, cclarry said:

Pricing is $179 retail!

Wow.  I can't remember, but did Toontrack offer in the past a crossover/loyalty deal for their customers who owned their other products when they launched past EZproducts ?  It would be great if persons who already owned EZDrummer, EZKeys, EZMix, and ST3 would get some kind of loyalty/crossover discount. 

$179 seems expensive especially right now with coronavirus hurting the income and work of so many musicians.  

10 minutes ago, Cecelius2 said:

Wow.  I can't remember, but did Toontrack offer in the past a crossover/loyalty deal for their customers who owned their other products when they launched past EZproducts ?  It would be great if persons who already owned EZDrummer, EZKeys, EZMix, and ST3 would get some kind of loyalty/crossover discount. 

$179 seems expensive especially right now with coronavirus hurting the income and work of so many musicians.  

Not that I'm aware.  Only crossgrade offer was from EZDrummer 2 to Superior Drummer 2 and then 3...
It's actually their standard pricing of the EZ Line of Products, and I'm sure they, as we, were not anticipating
a Pandemic.

We all know that if we wait a really long time there will be deals on EZBass.  They'll throw in another bass or a MIDI pack for the price of admission.

But this is so special that I doubt a lot of people will wait.  And I wonder how long it will take for them to start spitting out Bass MIDI packs and more basses. 

An acoustic bass would be nice... to go with whatever jazz packs they put out. 

I'm getting way ahead of myself.  Looks like I've already decided to buy it.  🤔

• Like 2

1 hour ago, antler said:

Yes they do and in the Riffer function you specify which string to use for each note and any MIDI created will reflect this on multiple channels. It is also possible to switch modes to a single channel where string selection is automatic.

10 hours ago, cclarry said:

Pricing is $179 retail!

That makes me smile, I'm very happy with that, for whatever reason in my mind I have been imagining and preparing for $250 - $300, so with the price being $179, to me it's like it is already on sale. Bargain!!! (as long as it delivers)

• Like 1