How to add and work with Audio track added to Midi tracks?

tdehan

I have created a MIDI file with multiple instrument tracks and want to add a vocal .wav file.  I can add the .wav file successfully but cannot mix it.  I would like to mix the volume of the vocal track DOWN within the overall mix.  However, when I adjust the volume on the added vocal track it affects the overall volume of everything.    How do I do this?

Thanks!

Are you using the Volume fader in the vocal track to change the volume?

And all tracks go to the Master bus, and from there to interface main outs? 

And the vocal track does not have input  echo enabled?

I can only imagine one possible routing setup within Cakewalk that could cause this to happen, and it's so unlikely, I won't even descibe it.

But if your using onboard audio interface with input set to 'Stereo Mix' or 'What U Hear', (i.e. recording/monitoring from output of the interface), and the vocal track is echoing input, then the track volume could affect the whole mix. But you should also have bad feedback in that case so... I dunno.

I think you must have inadvertently grouped that fader with others. If it has a colored vertical bar along the left side (the group's color code), right-click and choose Remove from Group (or Clear Group if the whole grouping was inadvertent).

Edited by David Baay

2 hours ago, tdehan said:

Yes, I am using the volume fader in the vocal track to change the volume.  It appears the complete mix not just the vocal track.  Echo is not enabled on the vocal track.

A screen capture of your project with the tracks and console visible might be helpful.

17 hours ago, reginaldStjohn said:

A screen capture of your project with the tracks and console visible might be helpful.

I open File / Import and select the .wav file to import.  It places it at the bottom.  When I move the volume slider on the track it affects the overall volume not just that track.

Capture.JPG

Edited by tdehan

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2020 at 10:09 AM, Jon White said:

TDehan, you might want to 1) catch some videos on Cake/Sonar operation; 2) read instructions about the software.

Well Jon... I have done both.  So unless you have a particular video and or part of the instructions to look at you aren't being much help.  right?