ASUS (not Gigabyte)

synkrotron

5 minutes ago, Jim Hurley said:

HWInfo64

Just got back to my room after having had breakfast and done a few chores.

Yes, I found that HWInfo and I've been running it. Not sure what I'm looking at, except some of the numbers, of course.

I get some sort of a warning about an embedded controller and I had to click on continue to get the sensor readouts.

So, after 100 minutes, with CPU at 100%, highest single CPU core temperature = 65 deg C.

No thermal throttling.

Power limit was exceeded.

7 minutes ago, Jim Hurley said:

Is your room getting warmer?

Haha! Yeah, noticeably :D

I have a digital thermometer in my little studio.

This morning it was sitting at around 23.5 deg C.

Right now, with not having any windows or doors open, it has reached 25.8 deg C.

And although the air coming out of the case vents isn't particularly high, or even warm, it is definitely a touch warmer than before.

There are two versions of Prime95 you can try. Version 29.4 uses AVX instructions. If you run 8K FFTs the code will fit entirely in the CPU cache and you will be very toasty as they are very CPU intensive running multiple floating points per CPU clock.

Another is Prime95 version 26.6.It does not use any AVX instructions.

If your BIOS is set with an AVX offset you will see drastic differences in the CPU speeds between these two runs.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, @Jim Hurley :)

I need to get on with other stuff now, like installing more stuff, but I will definitely come back at this at some point.

You are right about the CPU speed. Can't remember the figures exactly but they were less than 5k. I have yet to get into tweaking stuff. Once I have my all my software up and running I'll see what I have to do and might ask nearer at the time here.

cheers, and thanks again,

andy

On 3/3/2019 at 10:16 AM, Jim Hurley said:

You might enjoy reading this thread later if you have Reaktor:

That's a mighty long read @Jim Hurley :)

Not read over all of it, mainly scanned. But you can tell that you put so much effort into Reaktor and your workstation.

I didn't realise the Reaktor will only use one core of your CPU. Is it random as to which core it uses or are you able to control that somehow. If you mention that in your write up I obviously missed that in my scan... Sorry.

At the moment I am loving my i9 based desktop as it is. I don't think I have the knowledge or the time, even, to start playing with overclocking and stuff. I'm reasonably happy with what I have at the moment and temps are nice and low. Ambient temps here at the moment are still around 10~15 deg C, give or take, but when that goes up to the mid to late twenties in the summer it would be interesting to see how it copes. I am guessing it will be fine.

I did a very simple test of my own the other day. I use a flame fractal animation package called Chaotica and one you have set up the animation parameters you just let it run. On the laptop, a typical HD render of around 14400 images (eight minutes of video) it could take anything between 50 to 80 hours of rendering time and by that I mean 14400 PNG files are created.

So I set up both workstations to render the same animation and left it for over an hour.

Laptop = 632 images

Desktop = 1602 images

So that, to me, represents a considerable difference in processing power between an Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor (2.70GHz) with an 8MB cache and an Intel® Core™ i9 Eight Core Processor i9-9900K (3.6GHz) with a 16MB Cache

And although Chaotica is a so called graphics package it only uses the CPU and never the GPU, which has been a small bone of contention with some peeps.

cheers

andy

7 hours ago, synkrotron said:

I didn't realise the Reaktor will only use one core of your CPU. Is it random as to which core it uses or are you able to control that somehow. If you mention that in your write up I obviously missed that in my scan... Sorry.

There are some video demonstrations in there about controlling the threads using processor affinity.

I become very aware of these issues around 2010 when I was hitting the limits using Live. I found Live had so many memory limitations and scheduling issues that I stopped using it and switched to Sonar.

The basic problem is that if you use nearly 100% of the resources of one logical core you will definitely want to avoid using that other logical core.

As for how an OS or DAW decides which CPU to assign to a new thread - I know nothing. Way back, Live just seemed to assign cores sequentially which is probably the worst thing possible. I don't know if they still do that. Sonar seems to assign things in a more balanced way, particularly when processor load increases.

I've also seen the load balancing improve in the OS going from 7 to 8 to 10.

Also, Windows latency improved as the Windows services became smaller and more granular, even as the number increased (probably due to refined permissions on services).

• Like 1

Okay, here are a couple of photographs I took last night:-

newdesktop1.jpg

newdesktop2.jpg

Let me know if pictures linked here do not show up. I think I am having "issues" with my web provider. Sometimes hitting F5 a couple of times will force them to show.

Soon we will be able to get reimbursed by showing small video ads on our motherboard's and gear's viewscreens.

• Haha 1

I didn't realise the Reaktor will only use one core of your CPU

AFAIK, this is the case with all software modular synths. At least, it used to be. Cherry Audio just release a version of Voltage Modular that offers some multi-threaded capability. I believe VCV Rack will see some too in v1 but the plug-in version is some time away.

For those that only use one core, I wonder if you can force them to use different cores...  I remember seeing a video (Linus Tech Tips maybe?) that was showing how little having extra cores helps until you tweak things...  That would be cool to spread things out!