UPDATE: Nektar Impact LX49+ or M-Audio Oxygen 49

ZincT

I changed the title of this post as I have changed my mind about getting a separate pad/knobs/faders controller box.

Here's a direct link to the latest post at the end of this thread if you have any opinions on Nektar vs M-Audio, thanks...

As per the title I am looking for a something to complement my existing keyboard controller (iRig Keys Pro).

I want to be able to trigger loops and also alter MIDI cc's from the sliders.

Something like Maschine but a lot cheaper!

The AKAI Professional APC Mini looks perfect for my needs but, as with many of these, they seem to be marketed for use with Ableton Live.

I assume that they can be used fine within any other DAW e.g. CbB? I particularly want to use it with PluginGuru Unify within CbB.

Does anyone have one or can anyone else suggest any alternatives? 

Thanks in advance.

Incidentally, I did look at software options such as Xotopad but I quite like the idea of physical buttons and sliders instead.

Edited by ZincT

I considered getting the Korg nanokey Studio:

https://www.musicstore.com/en_US/USD/Korg-nanoKEY-Studio/art-SYN0005232-000?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv_nv6_376AIVxu7tCh1fjQAxEAYYASABEgKxKfD_BwE&ProgramUUID=HADAqJarPzAAAAFlea9yjI.G&campaign=GShopping%2FUK

No sliders, but 8 x rotaries  and  8 x pads.

The keyboard is useful for for key switches in Kontakt instruments.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

I considered getting the Korg nanokey Studio:

https://www.musicstore.com/en_US/USD/Korg-nanoKEY-Studio/art-SYN0005232-000?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv_nv6_376AIVxu7tCh1fjQAxEAYYASABEgKxKfD_BwE&ProgramUUID=HADAqJarPzAAAAFlea9yjI.G&campaign=GShopping%2FUK

No sliders, but 8 x rotaries  and  8 x pads.

The keyboard is useful for for key switches in Kontakt instruments.

I think the touch pad can be used like a slider.

• Thanks 1

That Korg NanoKey Studio has a couple of extra things going for it... 

- as well as connecting to a PC via USB it can connect to an iPad via bluetooth and is very well integrated with Gadget 

- it comes with M1 LE and a voucher to get the Korg Legacy bundle at a better price (I already have the full versions of M1 and Wavestation but would like the others). Actually comes with a whole load of software but I already have most of it.

- it has a Kaoss controller pad

These things certainly make it more appealing to me. 

@msmcleodAm I right in saying that there is an easy way to configure it in CbB? Thanks

Edited by ZincT

14 hours ago, ZincT said:

@msmcleodAm I right in saying that there is an easy way to configure it in CbB? Thanks

I guess "Easy" is subjective... and it depends on what you're trying to do.

Te nanoKey just sends standard CC / Note messages, so everything else is done by via ACT and/or ACT/Learn.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

I guess "Easy" is subjective... and it depends on what you're trying to do.

Te nanoKey just sends standard CC / Note messages, so everything else is done by via ACT and/or ACT/Learn.

Thanks, that's what I was hoping for. So once connected via USB, as long as the basic ACT surface is set up in Preferences - MIDI - Control Surfaces I should be good to go?

Edited by ZincT

I used one of these for years:
image.png.63a0499cefa0d323b7a61e0ce33d3434.png

It had a crazy amount of sysex profiles on the back for controlling the parameters of various MIDI hardware synths... just dial in the profile on the 2 digit display and you've got control of 16 of the parameters. But most of the time I used it for channel/bus fader control.

Unfortunately one of the sliders gave up on me (failed carbon track), so it rarely gets used nowadays.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, msmcleod said:

I used one of these for years:
image.png.63a0499cefa0d323b7a61e0ce33d3434.png

It had a crazy amount of sysex profiles on the back for controlling the parameters of various MIDI hardware synths... just dial in the profile on the 2 digit display and you've got control of 16 of the parameters. But most of the time I used it for channel/bus fader control.

Unfortunately one of the sliders gave up on me (failed carbon track), so it rarely gets used nowadays.

I remember seeing the Philip Rees ads in music magazines. I like how it looks no-nonsense and solidly built and PLENTY of sliders!

7 hours ago, Starise said:

I sometimes use one of these- QuNeo It has flat sliders and the pads have different zones. Lights on it are an added gimmick? The lights actually help to see how you are adjusting it. No software comes with it though and it isn't plug-and play. 

Looks kind of futuristic and very slim. If I was paying that much though I would probably get a Maschine Jam.

11 minutes ago, ZincT said:

I have now been slightly sidetracked by one of these which I can get cheaply. 

It would keep everything neat and simple in one package (keyboard, controllers, sliders etc) and also replace my 3 octave keyboard with a 4 octave one which also has aftertouch.

http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/usb-midi/keyboard-controllers/graphite49/ 

image.png.5454e24f7e9147d9ec07b632d14528c6.png

Try one of these out before you buy one of these. I've got one, and although the key action feels great and is packed with features, the key velocity is VERY hit and miss. 

Maybe I just got a bad one... but best to check.

8 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

Try one of these out before you buy one of these. I've got one, and although the key action feels great and is packed with features, the key velocity is VERY hit and miss. 

Maybe I just got a bad one... but best to check.

Good to know, thanks.  Maybe that's why it's being offered for a low price.

Also found this article which mentions the Graphite 49 and Cakewalk configuration of mackie compatible controllers.

https://www.harmonycentral.com/articles/uncategorized/how-to-use-mackie-compatible-controllers-with-daws-r376/ 

Edited by ZincT

@msmcleod I just noticed there's a v2.50 firmware for the Graphite 49 on Samson's webpage. I would imagine that you have already updated but wondered if that might help with the key velocity issue? Were you able to improve the situation at all by adjusting the velocity curves?

http://www.samsontech.com/support/samson/resourcesandmanuals/usb-midi/keyboard-controllers/p/graphite49/  

The Editor Software for Windows also looks like it could be useful. I ran it just to have a peek although obviously without the keyboard it doesn't do anything.

Graphite 49 Editor.jpg

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, ZincT said:

@msmcleod I just noticed there's a v2.50 firmware for the Graphite 49 on Samson's webpage. I would imagine that you have already updated but wondered if that might help with the key velocity issue? Were you able to improve the situation at all by adjusting the velocity curves?

http://www.samsontech.com/support/samson/resourcesandmanuals/usb-midi/keyboard-controllers/p/graphite49/  

The Editor Software for Windows also looks like it could be useful. I ran it just to have a peek although obviously without the keyboard it doesn't do anything.

Graphite 49 Editor.jpg

I haven't actually - I'll give it a try this weekend. Thanks !

• Like 2

On 4/24/2020 at 9:50 AM, msmcleod said:

I haven't actually - I'll give it a try this weekend. Thanks !

Did you have any luck with your Graphite 49? Unfortunately, by the time I decided to go for it, it was sold. 

Anyway, after looking into it a bit more the Nektar Impact LX49+ looks like a good alternative but they seem to be out of stock everywhere (maybe due to the virus?).
Have you had any experience with one of these at all?

Thanks

• Like 1

On 4/27/2020 at 8:57 AM, ZincT said:

Anyway, after looking into it a bit more the Nektar Impact LX49+ looks like a good alternative  but they seem to be out of stock everywhere (maybe due to the virus?).

I have had that one on my watch list for a while, for if I ever need another controller. My current one is all knobs, no faders.

Sweetwater says more "on the way" here. $169.99 USD. Free shipping in US. You can sign up for notification when in stock. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ImpactLX49P--nektar-impact-lx49-keyboard-controller

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, abacab said:

I have had that one on my watch list for a while, for if I ever need another controller. My current one is all knobs, no faders.

Sweetwater says more "on the way" here. $169.99 USD. Free shipping in US. You can sign up for notification when in stock. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ImpactLX49P--nektar-impact-lx49-keyboard-controller

Cheers abacab! Similar situation in the UK. My local place (Gear4Music) says stock expected 12-15th May but I have just found that Thomann have them in stock with free delivery so I might order from them although a couple of UK shops are cheaper (£106.99 at Absolute Music and Inta-Audio) but no stock.

On 4/27/2020 at 8:57 AM, ZincT said:

Anyway, after looking into it a bit more the Nektar Impact LX49+ looks like a good alternative  

I think so too. This seems to one of the few keyboard controllers that is not oriented to Ableton Live integration, and in fact includes Bitwig 8-Track in the bundle.

It claims integration with other DAWs, including Cubase, Studio One, Sonar, Reaper, and others. But that is where I would put more weight on actual user reviews as to how well it works with any specific DAW, such as Sonar/Cakewalk.