Constant Audio Dropouts and HUGE Latency

Helos Bonos

Error Code 1 Audio processing took longer than the buffers allotted time slice.
Increase the Buffer Size value in Edit > Preferences > Audio - Driver Settings.

When I tap the space bar to play I have to wait about 2 seconds for it to go.

My buffer is at 1024 with 65ms of round trip latency. Obviously, you can't record audio like that.

Four MIDI tracks and I froze them. And not a ton of plugins.

My project is 48k/24bit.

MY computer specs in my signature.

Memory/CPU: Appx 60%/30%

I've had this same problem in my previous project as well. What is going on here? I have had WAY more stuff going on in other DAWS like Reaper and Waveform but not this bad.

Hello! It's definitely an issue that stems from the interface. I think the drivers are the latest version ?. Try to reinstall them. Then set the buffer size to 128 ... maximum to 256. With your interface and in the project you described it should go to 64. There is no setting in Cakewalk that introduces latency ... other than those related to interface. Try and let us know what we can do ... I have 3 firewire interfaces ... M-AUDIO PROJECTMIX, ALESIS IO26 and TC ELECTRONIC KONNEKT 24 and none gives latency.  And try something else! As far as I know MOTU also has a USB connection not only firewire ... try it with USB! Success!

Well - let's not rule out the particular plugins present in the project.  Certain plugins are designed to be used in the mixing/mastering phase of a project, and not to be used during recording/tracking.  These would generally include convolution reverb and linear-phase type of effects, which do need a large ASIO Buffer Size to properly do their processing.

SO - can you please detail exactly what effects plugins you have loaded into your project?

Thanks, 

Bob Bone

Thanks all. A lot of interesting stuff here.

Mark, I have recently made the switch to Windows 10 (kicking and screaming) and I think this problem likely started since then so you might be on to something here. Aw shucks. I'm looking at my Device Manager before I install the link you sent and it appears I already have this installed. Unless it's an old version? Should I still install it? image.png.94eb564e3288e9a182e334f628849d07.png

siordan, This unit has USB2 out in the back. You think that will be faster than FireWire? 896mk3-large-rear.jpg

Bob, I have one instance of Alterboy, 3 x TH3, one AUX track with Soundspot Nebula, and one with Arturia Rev Plate 140. Wow, I didn't realize how light I was on plugins! I am using the Prochannel on many track though. Only 30ish tracks total. Something for sure isn't right here.

image.png

Go into Preferences, and under Audio/Configuration File, check to see what the ThreadSchedulingModel is set to. Should be 2 or 1 on your system. If it's set to 3 for some reason, that can cause these very symptoms.

@Mark Morgon-Shaw, thanks for the link to the info about Microsoft messing with the Firewire drivers. I use a Firewire interface with Windows 10. I don't wish to stop doing so any time soon as long as Microsoft doesn't break its functionality.

So far, PreSonus and Dell have held up their ends of the bargain, it's up to Microsoft not to foul up and make a very nice piece of audio equipment "obsolete."

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, siordanescu said:

As far as I can  see ... you have to have the 1394 legacy version driver. Look here again ...clearly write what needs to be done. Firewire with your diver doesn't work for me either. only with the Legacy.

https://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/Firewire-1.htm

I concur on giving this a try, after reading through it.

Bob Bone

On 4/23/2020 at 6:19 AM, Helos Bonos said:

This unit has USB2 out in the back. You think that will be faster than FireWire?

No Firewire is faster but USB2  may well be fast enough depending what bit rate/sample depth etc you are using.

I would certainly swap it over to USB and try it to eliminate whether or not it's a flaky FW driver

Most audio interfaces are USB or Thunderbolt nowadays.

So I did finally get the legacy driver installed but my issues remain.  Latency (even when buffer size is at 64), audio dropouts, horrible random glitch noises on my audio clips that seem to be embedded in the clip (I move the clip around on the timeline and turn effects on and off).

image.png.f47219760fe813b8e7c9a808aa0ca0ab.png

image.png

40 minutes ago, Helos Bonos said:

So I did finally get the legacy driver installed but my issues remain.  Latency (even when buffer size is at 64), audio dropouts, horrible random glitch noises on my audio clips that seem to be embedded in the clip (I move the clip around on the timeline and turn effects on and off).

image.png.f47219760fe813b8e7c9a808aa0ca0ab.png

image.png

What are the Cakewalk-reported latency values >   Preferences > Audio > Driver Settings?

Also, if glitches were recorded, in any clips, even fixing the issues for future recording will not fix what was already captured.

What happens when you launch a brand new project, and record, using no effects, and an ASIO Buffer Size of either 64 or 128 samples?

Bob Bone