InMusic Aquires BFD

GroverKen

I’ve just received an email stating that BFD has been acquired by InMusic.

“We’re excited to announce that BFD has been acquired by inMusic, a global leader in music production hardware, software and consumer electronics.

Together with inMusic, the core BFD development team will continue to develop our flagship products. They’re looking forward to this next phase and the opportunities to make BFD even better. 

Whether you’re a new customer or have been with us since BFD1, we’re deeply grateful for your support and encouragement. It’s been 17 years since we released the first BFD engine, which has been recognised globally as a revolutionary acoustic drum instrument. We’re very excited to see what the future holds with BFD joining the inMusic family.”

Anyone with thoughts?

Edited by GroverKen

Email:

We’re excited to announce that BFD has been acquired by inMusic, a global leader in music production hardware, software and consumer electronics.

Together with inMusic, the core BFD development team will continue to develop our flagship products. They’re looking forward to this next phase and the opportunities to make BFD even better. 

Whether you’re a new customer or have been with us since BFD1, we’re deeply grateful for your support and encouragement. It’s been 17 years since we released the first BFD engine, which has been recognised globally as a revolutionary acoustic drum instrument. We’re very excited to see what the future holds with BFD joining the inMusic family.

How does this change affect you?

There will be no immediate changes to how you access your BFD products, receive updates, support, or purchase new content. You will continue to access registered products and downloads through your FXpansion user account and receive the same product support via our Support Hub. In addition, FXpansion will continue to be a reseller of BFD products via FXpansion.com.

Our teams are working on a longer term account migration process, and we will be in touch once this is in place. In the meantime, we’re looking forward to providing updates and new content via FXpansion.com

If you have any questions, please get in touch with us through the Support Hub, Forum or via our social media channels.

Regards,

The FXpansion Team

Maybe we'll see some significant updates, BFD has been languishing.

inMusic info;
https://www.inmusicbrands.com/

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 2

It feels like BFD has been abandoned for a while now and Superior Drummer 3 has leap-frogged it in in terms of workflow. I broke down and got SD3 this week because of it, which is a shame because I own a TON of kits for BFD. 

Maybe the new owners will give us a BFD4 that rivals SD3 in features...

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

inMusic owns AIR and SONiVOX so at least they have some experience with audio software...
But how good or bad this will turn out, time will tell.

AIR has got to be one of the most mismanaged and poorly maintained brands out there, though.

• Like 2

Based on how InMusic has handled AIR and SONiVOX, BFD3 may soon be available for $2.95 at Plugin Boutique.  😀 Or maybe given away as gift of the month.😁

I wouldn't hold your breath about new expansions. 

It's possible that all of this is because ROLI has not turned out to be successful. So they are selling off assets like JUCE and this.  Do they still have the FXpansion synths?

Note that the ROLI software has recently turned up available for non-ROLI hardware users.

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Still prefer BFD samples to SD3.  Shame if this means the end of further development but we'll see.  I was initially encouraged by the recent beta release but unless it was to support some larger coding initiative it basically told me that there is little new in terms of redesign coming.

• Like 1

"A hi-tech musical instrument company backed by Sony and singer Pharrell Williams is on life support from its US lender as it attempts to secure new investment.

London start-up Roli, whose rubber keyboards are used by the Canadian singer Grimes and Stevie Wonder, has stopped paying interest on more than $20m (£15m) of loans from Silicon Valley investment company TriplePoint.

The start-up, which has raised more than $100m in debt and equity funding, took out an extra $4.1m loan from TriplePoint, seeking to tide itself over in the hope of securing extra funding.

Roli made a £23m loss in 2017, the last available figures, and has been seeking new funding in an effort to move towards profitability..."

Edited by musical
typo
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, Marc Cormier said:

Still prefer BFD samples to SD3.  Shame if this means the end of further development but we'll see.  I was initially encouraged by the recent beta release but unless it was to support some larger coding initiative it basically told me that there is little new in terms of redesign coming.

I prefer BFD from a kit perspective but SD3 from a usability perspective.

If they put a way to import BFD3 kits and grooves into SD3 I'd be 100% SD3 and never look back.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, simon said:

not good news for anybody - especially the staff I think.   

Not the time to be trying to raise new funding, during the worst pandemic for over a century and with oil prices turning negative. Markets spooked and can't even hold meetings.

Looks like a fire sale to me. InMusic has a track record of buying products and then milking them to death.

• Like 1

This hit my inbox a few days ago. "Drumdrops Launches New Website" with "...we will be adding loads of new packs". 

Drumdrops made kits that worked in BFD3, so perhaps it's worth hitting up Jack O'Donnell  for an investment to convert BFD kits to SD3?

If , as mentioned, their operating mode is to milk a dead cow, there should be more potential interest in the well recorded kits than an unsupported  product. 

22 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Wow how many of those keyboards would they have to sell to make up $23M?

14 minutes ago, RSMcGuitar said:

Only about six 🤣

LOL. Yeah fun to play with for sure but never enough to justify the asking price given that they do not replace the need for having a proper keyboard too.

• Like 1