Size of cakewalk setup

Rudransh

Question

16 answers to this question

Required installers

• BandLab Assistant 55 MB
  • Core CbB installer 566 MB

Optional installers (these are estimates based on previous installers although they should be close to the CbB versions)

• Melodyne 177 MB (Based on regular M4 installer)
  • DrumReplacer 252 MB (Based on version bundled with SONAR)
  • Studio Instruments 621 MB (Based on version bundled with SONAR)
  • Theme Editor 19 MB (Based on version bundled with SONAR)

The documentation in PDF format is 42 MB.

Updates to the program are much smaller. For example the current early release is 21 MB. Updates happen around every 2 months.

• Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Alahi Karbar said:

Are you kidding man?!!! I don'thave much time or internet!!! 😫😫😫

Time to upgrade your internet. 

If you think 566 MB is large, wait until you see the size of some third party libraries.....   (UVI world Suite 2 clocks in at 28.5 gig, Sampletank 4 Max clocks in at 260GB.  Some libraries are even larger)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/21/2020 at 5:36 AM, Rudransh said:

I want to know that what is the size of cakewalk setup because i have limited time and internet.

All you need is 1GB for the core installation. Save up a few cents and get you that 1GB of data. Dont be discourage by it bro. If you really want this - hustle bra. You can do this. 

• Like 1

add-ons use my  8GB internet data and always  stuck 4/5 and downloading restart again, lots of time I install and uninstall assistant  but I couldn't complete  installation.  when I reach at 4/5 my data cross 2GB and stop. 

14 minutes ago, rasik said:

add-ons use my  8GB internet data and always  stuck 4/5 and downloading restart again, lots of time I install and uninstall assistant  but I couldn't complete  installation.  when I reach at 4/5 my data cross 2GB and stop. 

How long is it stuck on 4/5 for? Try next time with the new Web Installer.

The Bandlab Assistant is problematic. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

My basic installation has already used more than 4.5 GB data as it keeps failing and restarts. I just purchased 12 GB to monitor the further usage and I just received the message of 800 MB having been used!
The offline installer mentioned above does not exist anymore.
I live in remote hills and thus have limited connectivity. I am just testing this download on a friend's laptop in a city to see that if I would be able to install it back home. Until now, I am pretty pessimistic. :-(

Ra.

36 minutes ago, Rahul Sharma said:

My basic installation has already used more than 4.5 GB data as it keeps failing and restarts. I just purchased 12 GB to monitor the further usage and I just received the message of 800 MB having been used!
 Until now, I am pretty pessimistic. :-(

Ra.

Admins, ban me, if it warrants, upon this outburst: SCREW THIS CakeWalk web-installer!
@ 2-3 MBPS, this new 12 Gb pack finished in less than 1 hour, taking the total to 16GB+ and still downloading!

If it tells the user beforehand that this much data shall be used for the basic download, one could make arrangements. There is no offline installer available, at least not on the page mentioned in @65_Skook's response above.

On 1/21/2021 at 2:13 AM, Promidi said:
On 4/21/2020 at 10:13 AM, scook said:

Required installers

• BandLab Assistant 55 MB
  • Core CbB installer 566 MB

If you think 566 MB is large, wait until you see the size of some third party libraries.....   (UVI world Suite 2 clocks in at 28.5 gig, Sampletank 4 Max clocks in at 260GB.  Some libraries are even larger)

No libraries touched, yet. Just the basic setup. Such a bad experience through the CakeWalk installer. Giving up on this!

No where it was mentioned that this shall take a 16+ GB download. At least BandLab people could mention it on the download page!

Frustrated,

Ra.

6 minutes ago, Rahul Sharma said:

Admins, ban me, if it warrants, upon this outburst: SCREW THIS CakeWalk web-installer!
@ 2-3 MBPS, this new 12 Gb pack finished in less than 1 hour, taking the total to 16GB+ and still downloading!

If it tells the user beforehand that this much data shall be used for the basic download, one could make arrangements. There is no offline installer available, at least not on the page mentioned in @65_Skook's response above.

No libraries touched, yet. Just the basic setup. Such a bad experience through the CakeWalk installer. Giving up on this!

No where it was mentioned that this shall take a 16+ GB download. At least BandLab people could mention it on the download page!

Frustrated,

Ra.

Stop that download. 

Something is very wrong. 

The Cakewalk installer is nowhere near that large. 

Contact support. 

Then create a new thread. 

Someone will help you. 

• Like 1

Additionally (and definitely DO start a new thread), the Bandlab Assistant is not required now that the Cakewalk Installer is available for the initial install, and then after that all of the updates are handled in-app. But @Base 57 is right - there's something very wrong here, none of those things are anywhere near that big.

• Like 1

I used to live in a remote area with only limited expensive bandwidth so I can sympathize. I simply worked my way around it by lugging my DAW to my brothers house in town every once in a while and updating stuff.  Or I would take a USB drive there.  It was a prime motivator for moving to town which I did a few years ago. Life is all about bandwidth and cellular data plans now.  You can't even park your car in the city without a cell phone. It's just how civilization has evolved. The majority carry on, pay the price, and take no notice of these things. I am always amazed at how many people my age ( real old) are walking around the grocery store texting or looking stuff up on cell phones. The cell phone has totally replaced outdated entertainment like TV's now. It's where your music will be played too. 

But yes there are still many people in remote location who have little if any options for this wonderful connectivity most take for granted now.  Canada is a huge country and we are not exactly hard done by, but only a very small percentage of it is covered by cellular service. Only towns and cities have hardwired or fiber optic internet the rest rely on a very underbuilt satellite system where you need to be very carful about downloading anything. And that pathetic service will cost you 3 or 4 times more than what you get in a populated area. 

Cakewalk is free and they are under no obligation to make life perfect for every possible life situation. All they ask for their free software is that we remain connected to them. So Cakewalk is not very off line compatible and they have no reason to change this.  What's in it for them? Nothing. A few more users. You need to get you mind around this and not complain. 

Simple solution- Go to the Music store and buy a DAW in a Box with a DVD. I think Cubase still is available this way. Many DAWs once installed never need to go on line again. Pro tools even has a free version and I don't think it requires to be on line after you authorize it. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Thanks 1