New Fun MIDI Surprise! (Yes, I'm being sarcastic)

Helos Bonos

So I'm editing a MIDI clip. I wanted to copy a note in front of itself to have these two notes in a row so I clicked the note to highlight it and pressed Ctrl D to duplicate it expecting the note to duplicate on the same clip, right? NOPE! It copied the note, and put that note on its very own tiny little clip so now if I want to move the clip around, I realized I'll have to bounce everything to one clip. Never had this issue on other DAWs. I was very confused at first wondering how those random notes showed up UNDER my midi clip but I then realized what happened so now I'll have to manually ctrl drag the notes I want to copy. Not a big deal in this scenario but it might be cumbersome in a different scenario if I wanted to duplicate many notes. I guess I'll have to Ctrl D them and boucne right after. Sorry but none of this seems intuitive or a streamlined workflow.

I can't get this to work using Duplicate, but did using Copy > Paste.

First, open Edit > Paste Special and change the What To Paste option from "Paste as New Clips" to "Paste into Existing Clips".   Next, open Preferences and from the Editing section check "Use Paste Special Options on Paste" at the bottom.   If you then copy and paste notes within the PRV they should remain in the active clip.

• Like 2

I’ve never tried the duplicate move. I’ll just ctrl-drag a note where I want it in PRV as you point out, or lasso everything and ctrl-drag the group where I want them in the clip. What am I missing not using the Ctrl-D move?

14 hours ago, Billy86 said:

What am I missing not using the Ctrl-D move?

Sometimes it's just easier to smash Ctrl D a bunch of times instead of lassoing stuff and trying to drop it a precise area. Ctrl D is supposed to duplicate the item right after the copied item rather than to a further location.