Cover song - Roger Taylor's "Killing Time"

Blades

This is another cover where I did all of the parts.  The song is "Killing Time" by Roger Taylor from Queen.

There is a full write-up on my blog about why I did this song, but what an appropriate title for a time such as this one.  I hope you will take a listen to it - I (sadly) didn't use Cakewalk on this, but I am getting closer to coming back now that the arranger track and so many other goodies have found their way in.  I still hope that you will take a listen!

https://www.blades.technology/music/songs/killing-time

Thanks Douglas.  I am REALLY trying to come back over to Cakewalk but I keep finding myself working on things over "there".  Seriously, I have been a long time advocate for the Cakewalk software.  With my comfort here, the free-ness (even though I had "lifetime updates"), and the numerous improvements, I am really not sure why I haven't started that "next song" over here.  And THIS forum, like the old Cakewalk forum, is SO much more feedback oriented than the Presonus ones, where I am unlikely to ever get a comment even if I DID use their software to make it.

Maybe this next one will be!

Again, thanks for the comment here.  I really do appreciate it.  This song was definitely a lot of work, but got completed relatively quickly.

@David Sprouse Thanks for the vocal compliment! :) For the synths - I listened over and over and over.  Most of the middle section is Sample Tank (the version 2 samples in the version 3 VST "player".  A few of those actually came from the Sonic Synth 2 Library played in the same VST (custom shop? - ala bring your own libraries).  the analog brass in that section was from the Prophet V emulation in the Arturia Analog Lab 3. There are a few crash and cymbal hits that were from the Sample Tank as well and the cymbal rolls/swells are from the Pearl Mimic Pro, played in on the e-kit.  The other synths through the song, like the synth bass and that orchestra hit were from the Analog Lab 3 as well, the Orch Hit from the CMI and the bass from the Prophet V.

As for Queen doing this: no, this was from Roger Taylor's second solo album called "Strange Frontier".  You can hear the original of this song here - well, youtube won't let me embed the link here - so go to youtube and search for Roger Taylor Killing Time and it will come up.  The album is available on Amazon streaming with subscription or as mp3 download and also on Google Play.  I'm sure it is available on just about any of the platforms.

A little rumor is that the big vocal ahh section at the end of the orchestral section is supposedly Freddie Mercury.  Not sure, but wouldn't be surprised.  He's not listed in the album credits though.

@Starise Again - thanks for the vocal compliment! :) I don't know how to get more exposure.  I post in a bunch of places but don't really get a lot of hits.  Maybe because it's a cover - in the case of "here", I actually have more comments typically even though I didn't use Cakewalk to record it!  (my next tune is in the works and I AM using Cakewalk for that one as a change of pace, some nostalgia, and to see how I like it now after a while away. 

Regarding the Console 1.  I REALLY like it.  On this song, looking at the mix, the only effects I have are the Console 1 on all of the Inserts, POD Farm on the Guitars and Bass, and some reverb, delay, and phaser on some spots and a limiter on the master to prevent overs - and I might have been able to accomplish that with Console 1 as well.  That's it.  There is nothing else on the whole thing.  It makes the mixing process easier and faster, but more importantly more fun and less frustrating for me and I think the end result is that it sounds better overall than when I was trying to use a bunch of plugins to accomplish the same. On this mix I used some British Class A emulation and some of the default SSL 4000e emulation.

If you know of someone who might enjoy this, please feel free to send them over to my blog to read about the process there and listen there as well.  And of course, I like comments and reactions, which I so rarely get on the blog!

Although a Queen fan I never heard any of their solo stuff including this song.   You did a really awesome job and after hearing the Roger Taylor version, I like your backing track better.   I think it has a better overall sound and flow than the original (IMHO).   Vocals are really good and a seriously good mix.

Regards

@markno999 Wow!  Thanks a lot for your comment.  It makes me really happy to hear people compliment something that I have worked so much on and given my all.  

I enjoy doing cover songs, especially obscure ones that are unlikely known.  I only wish that I could get this in front of Roger Taylor - not because I want something from him: just so he could hear it and give some feedback on it - even it wasn't as gracious as yours :)