Is there a way to make a MIDI channel go into two instrument tracks?

21 minutes ago, Karim Elias Dib said:

As in, have one midi channel with two (or more) outputs that go into different instruments and synths. Is this possible? A feature I haven´t found? Or is there just no way to do this and I should just copy and paste the MIDI clip on two channels.

MIDI tracks can only have one output. You'd want to copy and paste the data onto another track for them to play the same parts. 

8 hours ago, Karim Elias Dib said:

As in, have one midi channel with two (or more) outputs that go into different instruments and synths. Is this possible? A feature I haven´t found? Or is there just no way to do this and I should just copy and paste the MIDI clip on two channels.

8 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

MIDI tracks can only have one output. You'd want to copy and paste the data onto another track for them to play the same parts. 

This.... ^^

However, consider copying them as linked clips. This way, any changes you make to your MIDI data in one track will automatically be reflected in the copy.

• Like 2

If one instrument has midi out, and forward input to that output - you can cascade a bunch of those.

midi clip to 1st, second take output from that as input and so forth.

My favorite, daw independent, is bluecat audio Patchwork - where I load any number of instruments, and vst midi plugins between them etc. Filter midi, transpose and whatnot. But in Cakewalk only run VST2 version, since a bug for VST3 not showing all outputs.

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_PatchWork/

A simple example using Kontakt:

Load an instance of Kontakt  selecting “Enable Midi Output”.

Then first go to Kontakt --> Options --> Engine. There find "Send MIDI to outside world" and select "Incoming CC's" and "Incoming notes".

Assuming the Kontakt instance is “Kontakt 1”, load an instrument vst of your choice, and in the midi channel input select “Kontakt 1” and a midi channel of your choice, and turn “Input Echo” on.

For each additional instrument vst, repeat the above. Any notes or cc’s played on Kontakt will be forwarded to each addition instrument.

One in, effectively many out, not a cascade...

Matthew Sorrels post gives the time tested method many of us have used. Unlike a copy/duplicate/paste that method will allow you to play and hear multiple tracks in real time while recording. That may not necessarily be a best practice, but it is a requirement for some players. Colin Nichols post restates a longtime wish that many of us have expressed for years to have a way to do this routing internally in SONAR/Cakewalk. The virtual MIDI cable kludge is much less difficult than most people would think, can be done in most instances with free software, and is so effective that it may have reduced the incentive to do the difficult work of making this a Cakewalk feature.