All MeldaProduction plugins updated to 14.05 and MSuperLooper released

cclarry

On 4/22/2020 at 4:33 AM, Starship Krupa said:

OMG, thank you! On my system, it just had the AASplayer .dll, but that is craziness. It does lend credence to my hypothesis that their installer just looks for the string "vstplugins" and slaps copies of the .dll's in the folder. Or who knows, maybe it has a database? All known plug-in locations.

I think I'm going to start a spreadsheet or some other way to start tracking this, because it's not good to have multiple copies of plug-ins scattered all over the place. You need to make sure that your DAW is scanning the correct one in the correct order, and the VST thing is weird enough without confusing matters. I have my system's policy down to: 64-bit VST3's only when they are available, then 64-bit VST2's when the VST3 is not. That's just for tidiness's sake, not out of any preference for the silly VST3 format. Everything else is search and delete. Duplicate VST2's when I already have the VST3 installed included.

So far I have run into zero issues with just deleting the spurious VST2 .dll's, 32-bit versions, AAX versions, RTAS(!) versions that these installers dump on my precious SSD. I'm shopping for a 500G SSD right now, but I still don't care for shovelware in any form, from any source. I'll take their install shell, that's all in the game, but I'd really rather it didn't make me hunt down and delete all the "trial" copies of their entire catalog (cough T-Racks cough).

You're most welcome :D Starship, yeah the AAS installer is one of the most paranoid I think. Another fun is when you're cleaning up your hard drive from 32bit, AAX and all the other unwanted plugins to save another few more bytes on your precious SSD because, you know, you can only have as much space. So when you delete for example anything from NI or XLN, their download manager will mark those products as corrupted and when you hit 'repair' it, it will literally populate your disk with all that garbage again... and that's it!

I think the most bizzare installer was a drum plugin from StudioLinked. First I have carefully selected the correct path for 64-bit vst plugin and told the installer to put the 32bit version in my system temp folder by precisely inputting the full path. Next it placed it's 32-bit plugin in my 64-bit Vstplugin folder and the 64bit plugin in an arbitrary folder that he created somewhere in 'Program Files'... Whoah! No way it could be found without scanning the whole system disk :D

Edited by chris.r
  • Haha 1

On 4/19/2020 at 7:51 PM, Chandler said:

For those that are wondering how to get started with MSuperlooper, I made a quick video explaining the basic functions and modes. I hope this helps.

You should consider doing one on setting up a midi foot controller. The documentation doesn't seem to match the implementation. I got it working thru trial and error.

Also, there are selections for controller under MIDI for Note on/off, Note index, Note index(on), but I don't see anyway to select a given note - 0, 1, 2, 3, and so on. Is there a way to use note on/off to control the vst? Am I missing something?

• Like 1

On 4/22/2020 at 10:24 PM, Starship Krupa said:

Oh, no, I am really digging SampleTank 4 CS. Lots of useful free content, and it doesn't crash hosts like 3 did. Stick a cheapo nVidia card in that thing?

Actually, a few days ago I started to think about getting a graphics card that can support a higher level of OpenGL as well as additional monitors.  I have started to look on line! I would like to get more out of the Melda plug-ins, esp. if I can do things like map my foot controller to the SuperLooper  (great suggestion) and other plug-ins.

Edited by User 905133
to add a comment about using a foot controller

7 hours ago, rsinger said:

You should consider doing one on setting up a midi foot controller. The documentation doesn't seem to match the implementation. I got it working thru trial and error.

Also, there are selections for controller under MIDI for Note on/off, Note index, Note index(on), but I don't see anyway to select a given note - 0, 1, 2, 3, and so on. Is there a way to use note on/off to control the vst? Am I missing something?

I already have, I'll release it later today. It isn't too difficult, but some things might be hard to figure out at first. The biggest problem I had was using my FCB1010. That thing is really annoying to program. Once I got the hardware worked out, hooking up to the software was much easier.  Anyway, the video will cover how to hookup a midi controller for use with the record, next, previous, etc buttons. I'll post it here when its released. Here is another video I made with a more musical example. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Chandler said:

I already have, I'll release it later today. It isn't too difficult, but some things might be hard to figure out at first. The biggest problem I had was using my FCB1010. That thing is really annoying to program. Once I got the hardware worked out, hooking up to the software was much easier.  Anyway, the video will cover how to hookup a midi controller for use with the record, next, previous, etc buttons. I'll post it here when its released. Here is another video I made with a more musical example. 

What's the advantage of MSuperLooper versus just loop recording in my DAW?

18 minutes ago, Lee D said:

What's the advantage of MSuperLooper versus just loop recording in my DAW?

For me it's a quick way to sketch out ideas. My workflow is different than what Chandler demonstrates. I have a guitar synth/modeller and have patches setup in that. Once I record a loop I keep it playing and will audition some sounds - normally I'm not tweaking the sounds, but I may. I'll play with different rhythmic/tonal/harmonic variations for the next part until I have something I like and then record that. I have a midi pedal board so I'm not mousing around with the recording, although I am with the synth - I usually select patches from the browser. Rinse and repeat.  CbB doesn't do sound on sound recording with audio. You can do different loop lengths and don't have to stop to convert a recording to a groove clip and stretch to the length required. It's a different work flow.

For me it's playing around and working out ideas. If I happen to get something I like I'll export and then record it later.

• Great Idea 1

15 hours ago, Chandler said:

I have two - a Roland FC-300 that I use to control a guitar synth/modeller and a Yamaha MFC10  that I use to control Ableton Live. The Yamaha is setup using note on/off. I was going to program another bank with controller data, but I'll wait until I see your video.