Carbon Electra 1.5 Crashing CW

Fabio Rubato

Hi, I haven't used CE for a while but I opened up an old project with the view to update the mix and CE kept crashing it. Loading in Safe Mode and disabling it, subsequently opened the project. I then tested it in a new project with nothing else loaded and it crashed it. I then tried loading it in Reaper and it loaded it there without any problems.

So it would appear, that this is an issue between this program and Cakewalk. This is Plugin Boutique's developed soft synth, so I thought I see if anyone else had this issue currently, before I reach out to them. CE has worked okay in the past in Sonar, but I'm not sure I've tried it since changing over to CW. 

Thanks

I just tested to insert Carbon Electra 1.5 into a new empty project in CbB 2020.04 EA1 and played around adding some MIDI (no problem), saving it, closing down CbB, reopening CbB, and loading that same project (no problem). So the bottom line is that I can’t see any such problems with CE running in CbB, running Windows 10 Pro (1909). Maybe you should try to reinstall Carbon Electra 1.5?

It might be something else. fwiw, I had a related experience with a vst3 from Eventide. Loaded it into a working project and it hung up hard when I tried to change some settings after inserting it into an FX bin. 

It opens fine in a new CxB project. 

It opens fine in other DAWs. 

Tried reinstalling, etc. Same problem, every time. 

Yeah, got me beat. I did reinstall it before I posted and tested loading it on a new track/project without any frills and strangely, it just crashed CbB - latest version.  This not only crashes the original project but as mentioned, a new one as well...yet opens fine in Reaper. Oh well, I'll just use another synth in CbB or shift the whole project to Reaper. Thanks for the feedback. 

32-bit plugins are frequently crash-prone and otherwise funky, running in a 64-bit environment.

Back when 64-bit computers were just starting to be switched to, there were just insane numbers of people crashing right and left, because many 32-bit plugins - specially the freeware ones, just crapped out - made worse by all the money people had invested in their armada of 32-bit plugins.,

J-Bridge (commercial bridging software about $20), helped a lot of people out, as it sometimes was able to keep some 32-bit plugins running, that just did not work using the free Bit-Bridge software that came with Sonar, but it was still a nightmare, for at least a year, if not longer, until folks got farther and farther away from using 32-bit plugins.  There was always the option of installing and using a 32-bit Sonar when making projects where 32-bit plugins would have to be present, and I did that for a while, until I built up a large enough catalog of 64-bit plugins and could finally fully transition to that environment.

Most folks ended up switching over to as many 64-bit plugins as possible, certainly for new projects, and reported crashes came way down in numbers.  Most commercial plugins offered free 64-bit versions, which helped a bunch.

Anyways (sorry for the blast from the past), if any of those old projects of yours still had a 32-bit version of CE in them, that could well explain crashes.  Not sure why a new project, with a 64-bit CE, would crash, but maybe the reinstall managed to clean up some leftover 'stuff' in Registry entries, or something along those lines.

VERY cool you are back in business.

I am curious - do you happen to have any of the error messages from any of the crashes?  I am just wondering what it might have been complaining about - I was a computer programmer, so that kind of stuff makes me intrigued.  :)

Thanks, 

Bob Bone