Plugin Alliance Essentials Bundle

cclarry

26 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Many do have subs but it isn't their only model.  I doubt the playing field will ever change. 

Not sure about a switch to subs (as I just don't agree with the notion)

But I think we can all generally agree the field has changed regarding the cost of plugins and the percieved value in them.

At one point WAVES was built on a model that cost an absurd amount of money per plugin.  Now, top shelf plugins are $10-30 year round across the specturm.  

Companies that charge $150+ for an effect (outside of something like Melodyne), no clue how they even stay in business.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Walton said:

Not sure about a switch to subs (as I just don't agree with the notion)

But I think we can all generally agree the field has changed regarding the cost of plugins and the percieved value in them.

At one point WAVES was built on a model that cost an absurd amount of money per plugin.  Now, top shelf plugins are $10-30 year round across the specturm.  

Companies that charge $150+ for an effect (outside of something like Melodyne), no clue how they even stay in business.  

They have fanboys.  I remember at one time Melodyne was not even attainable for the hobbyist. Now they have a free version packaged with DAWs. The economically smart DAW user can get the best use out of it. 

1 hour ago, kitekrazy said:

They have fanboys.  I remember at one time Melodyne was not even attainable for the hobbyist. Now they have a free version packaged with DAWs. The economically smart DAW user can get the best use out of it. 

Most aftermarket plugins at one time were not really attainable for the hobbyist.  $200 for a compressor emulation, etc.    It was crazy.  

Melodyne  I have to kind of respect doing that, both unique and a tool that does a lot of potential damage in non-pro hands.  😂

I got Studio after a couple upgrades since the "free" version , which I don't consider free as Cakewalk Producer was not exactly cheap.    But even with the discount has been a waste of money.  The polyphonic audio to midi was a let down, and I've had major issues with the tempo mapping ARA integration with Sonar.  I basically don't pitch shift vocals, so the features I wanted it for didn't live up to expection.    On the vocal side, there are not many options that really do what Melodyne does at a pro level.

Compressors, EQs, etc that is where I don't understand the idea of a $150+ plugin when other cheap options exist.    The average person can't even blind test between two of them with the accuracy you would expect for the premium price.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

Most aftermarket plugins at one time were not really attainable for the hobbyist.  $200 for a compressor emulation, etc.    It was crazy.  

Melodyne  I have to kind of respect doing that, both unique and a tool that does a lot of potential damage in non-pro hands.  😂

I got Studio after a couple upgrades since the "free" version , which I don't consider free as Cakewalk Producer was not exactly cheap.    But even with the discount has been a waste of money.  The polyphonic audio to midi was a let down, and I've had major issues with the tempo mapping ARA integration with Sonar.  I basically don't pitch shift vocals, so the features I wanted it for didn't live up to expection.    On the vocal side, there are not many options that really do what Melodyne does at a pro level.

Compressors, EQs, etc that is where I don't understand the idea of a $150+ plugin when other cheap options exist.    The average person can't even blind test between two of them with the accuracy you would expect for the premium price.  

I've bought 3rd party templates for FL and Live.  Most of them use the stock plugins like the EQs. Some that buy the pricey plugins don't use anything else.   The average person listens to music headphones. High fidelity is no longer a thing.