Windows 7 vs. 10 and Sonar X3 and Cakewalk

Chris Gowland

Always update your OS before installing the software. 

I also recommend after you update the OS run windows updates a few times to PU stray updates that don't stick the first few times. 

Then update all the drivers for any hardware especially your audio interface directly from manufactures web sites. If you have a special video card do this as well, Windows generic drivers suck.  

I  update my VST's like Addictive drums and I make sure everything is activated and updated. 

Then I install basic versions of Sonar 8.5 ,  X3 and the last release of SPLAT.  That seems to cover all my stuff that came in the past. They take up very little room. 

Last thing is Bandlab Assistant and Cakewalk. 

As far as old audio interfaces go,, all of mine are getting old, some are 12 years old,  and all work real good under W10. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

Do you know for a fact that the Firepod works well with Win 10?  I doubt there are Win 10-specific drivers for the Firepod, but that doesn't mean it won't work with Win 7/8 drivers under Win 10.  So research that first  (Obviously there's no point in updating the software if your Firepod won't work with the new O.S.).

Edited by JonD
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, bdickens said:

5 years into it, I would be very surprised if there were NOT any W10 drivers yet.

Why?  Many HW manufacturers stop driver development on their discontinued products.  Presonus happens to be one of them.

https://www.presonus.com/products/fp10/downloads

Note that the last supported O.S. was Windows 7.  Again, that doesn't mean the last released driver won't work under Win 8.1 or Win 10.  It's certainly worth trying if you have a way to restore to a backed up system image if things go south.

Edited by JonD