Upgrade to W10 Issue, Tweaks and Questions

razor7music

Hello

I've posted this on an old post of mine that may have exceeded it's shelf life, so apologies for the dup.

I did an upgrade last night. I followed the recommended steps, and all went well from what I can tell so far.

There is one show stopper issue that I never had before with playback. It stops playing for a few ms, and then just starts again on its own. (EDIT) It seems to be just my last project. I played a previous project without issues. Sound Forge and Wavelab both playback files without issues too. I did notice that the Windows 10 upgrade had turned on some integrated sound modules, so I *disabled those.  (EDIT) Now the most recent project will only start for a few ms and then it stops--never plays anything "Dropout".

There was a post I wrote down about post upgrade tweaks where they said to turn off performance throttling, but I can't find that setting and a search returns power throttling.

Any help is much appreciated!

EDIT: Here's some additional information.

The first time I played back a project, it did the stutter stop once during the track. The next two times I played it back, there were no issues. (EDIT) Now the playback head moves forward a couple beats and stops each time I hit play. Again, just on this project.

I also noticed on my Windows Sounds interface, where my Layla 3G used to list each of the 8 i/os in stereo pairs, now there is one entry for i/os 1-8. Just an observation.  (EDIT) *Since disabling the integrated sound modules, I now see the stereo pairs like prior to the W10 upgrade.

Also, sadly, I got a BSOD this morning. It was at the point when I entered my Windows unlock password. After a reboot, no issue.

Edited by razor7music

I'm going to try to play the project while bypassing all effects.

Does anyone know if there is a log capture for dropouts so I can see what's causing it?

Thanks!

-EDIT- It's in the FX somewhere. I bypass all FX and the tracks play. Is there anyway to find out which FX is causing CW to drop out other than disabling one at a time? Again, this was all good in W7 and this is the only project that's doing this.

Thanks!!

Edited by razor7music

Personally what I would do is update all of your drivers (Use manufacturer's web sites rather than letting Windows 10)  Audio Interface, network and Video - all of them.  

Then make sure you have installed all Windows 10 patches. 

Then update your Vdist runtimes (this is not done with Windows updates)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Promidi said:

Personally what I would do is update all of your drivers (Use manufacturer's web sites rather than letting Windows 10)  Audio Interface, network and Video - all of them.  

Then make sure you have installed all Windows 10 patches. 

Then update your Vdist runtimes (this is not done with Windows updates)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

Hello--

Thanks so much. Let me look this info over and I'll post back what I found out.

Does anyone know if CW has a dropout log that I can retrieve? Since the W10 upgrade I have an FX or two that won't allow my project to play. I'd like to single out the FX in a more precise way than just bypassing one at a time--not just for this issue but it's something I'd like to know for the future as well.

Thanks,

Stephen

No, Cakewalk has no tools to track down a specific plugin's contribution to a dropout. But it's likely that no single FX is causing the problem; it's the total load exceeding the CPU's ability to keep the audio buffer filled at the current buffer size. There should be a dropout code that you can check here:

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=NewFeatures.22.html

Depending on what you find, you might also want to double-check DPC latency which may have been affected by new drivers being used.

https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, David Baay said:

No, Cakewalk has no tools to track down a specific plugin's contribution to a dropout. But it's likely that no single FX is causing the problem; it's the total load exceeding the CPU's ability to keep the audio buffer filled at the current buffer size. There should be a dropout code that you can check here:

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=NewFeatures.22.html

Depending on what you find, you might also want to double-check DPC latency which may have been affected by new drivers being used.

Thank you David. I very much appreciate it.

DAW is now unstable per se. I got another BSOD, but after a .NET Windows update and a reboot, I am no longer getting dropouts from the CW project.  I'll check the documentation you provided. I had my toast screen set to go off after 2 seconds, so I increased that until I get this figured out.

I also have lifetime support from ADK on my rig, so I reached out the them as well.

Can you please detail exactly what effects you have loaded into one of these projects, where you are experiencing the dropouts?

Also: 

What is your Sample Rate for the project?

What is your project's Driver Mode?

What is your ASIO Buffer Size set to, for your interface?  You can see it in Preferences, screen shot it below:

2139542306_ASIOBufferSizeinPreferences.thumb.PNG.15dab2487709fe34d53de34faec2406b.PNG

• Like 1

I'm not getting the toast notices when I get dropouts. I can't seem to find where the setting is to toggle those on and off.

Anyone?

Thanks,

On 4/20/2020 at 11:52 AM, David Baay said:

I'm not getting the dropout notices (toast notices). Is there a setting somewhere to turn those on? I can't find it.

Thanks!

Stephen

1 hour ago, razor7music said:

Thanks for the troubleshooting steps @Robert Bone

I may have to break it down there as you suggest, but the project was flawless prior to Windows 10 and it's the only project with issues with W10! I'm still trying to track down where any CW notices of why it's dropping out is/are.

I am not sure of the Toast mechanism, and will do some digging - can you please detail the plugins loaded into this specific project?  Thanks

Bob Bone

• Thanks 1

Someone mentioned this above and it's important to run windows updates a few times as well as update all your drivers for hardware. It even might be that W10 is still running updates while your trying to work. 

Is there W10 drivers for your audio interface? 

• Thanks 1

I just looked and this is probably why your having issues

Echo web site under drivers--

DUE TO OUR PRO AUDIO PRODUCTS BEING DISCONTINUED, WE DO NOT CURRENTLY SUPPORT WINDOWS 10, AND HAVE NO PLANS TO UPDATE OUR DRIVERS. IF YOU ARE USING WINDOWS 10, USE THE LATEST DRIVER VERSION LISTED FOR YOUR HARDWARE, BUT RESULTS MAY VARY.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, John Vere said:

I just looked and this is probably why your having issues

Echo web site under drivers--

DUE TO OUR PRO AUDIO PRODUCTS BEING DISCONTINUED, WE DO NOT CURRENTLY SUPPORT WINDOWS 10, AND HAVE NO PLANS TO UPDATE OUR DRIVERS. IF YOU ARE USING WINDOWS 10, USE THE LATEST DRIVER VERSION LISTED FOR YOUR HARDWARE, BUT RESULTS MAY VARY.

Thanks, John.

This was actually reason #1 why I waited so long to upgrade to W10. It wasn't until I heard from multiple users on this forum that have the exact same audio interface that said it was working flawlessly in W10 that I decided to take the plunge. "Mileage may vary" warning noted. I did have it in the plan B box to buy a new interface if I had to. Just used to the old Layla 3G and the whole PCIe interface thing.  

Jury is still out since it's only one project.

19 hours ago, Robert Bone said:

That's the ticket! Thanks, Bob. All the notification settings were on and I see them exept the toast notice for dropouts. It was the config setting:

in Preferences > Audio - Configuration File > [RestartEngineAfterDropout] flag.
Set to False to revert to the prior behavior of displaying a dropout toast notification.

I've got that set to False, but now it won't drop out--so we wait, but now I've set the trap.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, John Vere said:

Someone mentioned this above and it's important to run windows updates a few times as well as update all your drivers for hardware. It even might be that W10 is still running updates while your trying to work. 

Is there W10 drivers for your audio interface? 

Hey John--

I fired off some Windows updates while playing back the problem project and it didn't skip a beat. Figures. I'll keep trying.

Thanks!