SSD vs hard drive contents

LNovik@aol.com

Question

Hi,

After many problems with my new Dell computer, it looks like it's finally fixed. It's been freezing for months, and 2 returns to Dell had not helped. Now they've installed a new SSD, and, at last for the past 2 days, it hasn't been freezing.

As I'm setting up my computer, I know that when I again download CbBL, I'll put it on my SSD. I also know that I'll put my "Cakewalk Projects" folder on my larger hard drive. I do have a previous version of Sonar X3 Producer, and that's currently  also on my hard drive . In fact, I hope you'll be able to view below  the list of files that I now have on my Cakewalk Content folder. Perhaps some of these files are even left from CbBL.  M question: can I just leave these files on my D drive (hard drive), and simply now download CbBL onto my C: or SSD drive. I already, this AM, downloaded drivers for my midi and audio interfaces, as well as my updated version of Melodyne,--and have placed all of these on my SSD. Thanks for your attention.

LNovik

image.thumb.png.6b783a0c1be3805095d06640a4cd5140.png

7 answers to this question

WRT "Cakewalk Content" before installing anything create a directory junction on C to point to "D:\Cakewalk Content" and the X3 and CbB installers will place their content on D

To do this, open a Command Shell and type

mklink /j "C:\Cakewalk Content" "D:\Cakewalk Content"

You should install X3 before CbB. Some plug-ins bundled with X3 need registry entries which are added at install time. Both DAWs must be on the same drive because they share files and registry entries.

VST2 plug-ins may be installed on either drive but they do not take up much space so I leave them on the system drive. Large sample libraries such as Dimension Pro may be moved after install. I use directory junctions to move these folders just like "Cakewalk Content."

The VST3 spec recommends installing in certain paths on C. Most manufacturers follow the recommendation and do not allow an alternate location.

• Thanks 1

If you never got the SSO (like I didn’t) then they still may be able to find your serial #.  They can’t Create access though. I just went through that and thought I was borked.   Fortunately I was able to find the installer within an old off line backup

• Thanks 1

If you install Cakewalk to the new drive, you lose the benefit of all the plugins from Sonar. Copying the folders before installing CbB might work, but personally, I'd delete the folders on the old drive, install Sonar on he new drive and then install CbB.

When you run the new Cakewalk it will find all the Sonar plugins.

As Nigel says, I should install Sonar X3 Producer on my SSD instead--and get rid of it on my hard drive. I realize that I cannot find the original discs that came with my purchase of Sonar x3. However, I'm sure I have the serial numbers, etc.  IS there a place to download Sonar x3 if I have the serial number. I guess, alternatively, as he says: I could just copy some of the  plug- ins that are now on my hard drive to my  SSD. . But I don't mind trying his preferred suggestion if I could download and install Sonar X3. I trust that when I would then download CbB, this wouldn't interfere with the Sonar on the same SSD---Ah yes, I believe SCook is saying that they SHOULD be on the same SSD, and that will not interfere. That is about the only thing I understood in his note, not because of the content, but because I am not at the level to understand such things--or, at least,  to execute such things.

Thanks.

LNovik

Thanks. I was easily able to access all my numbers at what you cleverly called,  Your old Cakewalk account. Actually, I started to download everything BEFORE removing it from my hard drive. After I complete the process of downloading everything to my SSD, I will then remove all of it from my hard drive.  Thanks for the help.

LNovik

• Like 1

The Sonar/Cakewalk bit is not all that big, so they can stay on the SSD. When you start downloading/installing VSTis and effects, put them on the hard-drive. Some can be very big.  Most installers will allow you to choose your install folder.

What I do is I have a folder VSTPlugins on my data drive. Then I have subfolders VSTi, Audio FX, Samplers. Some people have subfolders named after the manufacturer. You can also have sub-subfolders according to category. Whatever makes life easier for you.

The spec for VST3 says they must be in the folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3, but as far as I know, at the moment, that doesn't seem to be necessary. Who knows in the future. You can always use

mklink /j "C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3" "D:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3"

in a PowerShell to make Windows use the hard-drive for those VSTs. Will work fine.

Enjoy.