cakewalk only recognizes my keyboard as a midi controllor and not as audio or vice versa

Zeus Cruz

Hi Guys,

I am currently new to using cakewalk as my DAW previously i use Ableton Lite which is limited to only 8 tracks so i switched to cakewalk which gives me the ability to record more tracks. Unfortunately as I am starting to record my keyboard(which is also my midi controllor) only recognizes it as a midi controller for my virtual instrument. When I insert an Audio Track and use my sounds from my keyboard it doesn't play any sound. My Solution was to unplug my audio cable from my keyboard now my keyboard(from internal speakers) doesn't play any sound, so I turned off my keyboard when I turned back my keyboard on it plays sound on my keyboards internal speaker, so i plugged the audio cable back but cakewalk crashes. So I restarted cakewalk then now it recognizes my keyboard as an audio input. Bet when I insert a Virtual Instrument and use my keyboard as a midi controller it is now stuck as an audio instrument.

Sorry for the bad english, I hope you understand my question. I appreciate the Help

Best Regards 

Your keyboard should act as both a MIDI controller and (assuming it has internal sounds) an audio input device. The MIDI data is transmitted to your computer via USB or the MIDI (DIN) connector on an audio interface. Actual audio (sound) from your keyboard is transmitted to your computer via a regular audio cable (or pair of cables if it's stereo) from the audio outputs of the keyboard to the audio inputs of your audio interface. You should be able to have both types of connections hooked up and working at the same time.

Maybe you have forgotten to turn on input echo on the track you are trying to record?

(PS: I have tried to remove these diagrams, but I can't figure out how, so I guess I'll just leave them. Maybe you'll find it useful. 🙃

image.png

image.png

Edited by Larry Jones

Yes it's very helpful with these questions to give some info on your set up otherwise we can only assume. 

But here is some basics that might help

MIDI does not transmit audio. So a 5 pin midi cable is for midi only. 

Modern keyboards might have both midi DIN and USB connectivity for MIDI connectivity.

USB can transmit midi or audio but I'm unaware that both could ever happen together. Possibly this is your issue. 

You normally use the DIN jacks for midi and the keyboards audio outputs for audio.  The audio outputs could be either 1//4" RCA or the headphone jack. 

Then the USB jack, if it has one, could be set to transmit audio or midi.