ASIO4ALL driver intermittently malfunctioning (until I reapply driver settings)

Dave G

I'm using the latest ASIO4ALL driver in Cakewalk by BandLab, and it's been working fine until today. No relevant settings have been changed to cause any issues.

When I start up Cakewalk, I get no audio from my tracks. So, I go into Edit -> Preferences, then Audio Devices. While this Forum post is open, my Output Driver reads "ASIO4ALL v2 Not Connected 1". Otherwise, when exclusive, it will read "Connected", but as stated, no audio at all. But when I click [OK] or [Apply]...the audio works again. But the problem is, I have to do this [OK]/[Apply] process in the Preferences -> Audio Devices menu every time I start up Cakewalk now. Then I get to hear audio (until next startup).

I tried reinstalling the ASIO4ALL driver, but this doesn't resolve the issue.

This is absolutely goofy behavior and extremely frustrating. Please advise? Thanks in advance.

Edited by Dave G

EDIT:

As of this morning, I noticed that when I load Cakewalk, when initially I thought the audio wasn't playing at all, it actually takes a few seconds for the ASIO4ALL driver to kick in. So the audio will be heard if I wait a few seconds.

Either way, starting yesterday, the driver is acting erratically for no reason whatsoever. Any ideas?

Thanks again.

1 hour ago, gustabo said:

Use a native driver for your soundcard, not ASIO4ALL

Assuming there is a native (ASIO) driver.  The reason most people use ASIO4ALL is they're using an onboard sound card with no native ASIO drivers -- or at best, poorly written ones.

If that's the case here, OP should look into getting a proper audio interface.  New ones can be had for as low as $50 (and lower if you buy used, on Ebay, for example).