How to export both vocal recording and midi accompaniment?

Joshua Porter

I've been googling for hours, and I've yet to find a comprehensive guide/post about how to accomplish this. Either DAW technobabble, or situations that are irrelevant to my own.

I am a vocal performance student, and in lieu of actual voice lessons due to COVID-19, I am recording my music and sending it to my professors. I have a midi accompaniment track recorded by my regular accompanist, but when I use it in Cakewalk (drag the midi file into the track panel), I can't export both the audio recording and the accompaniment. Trying to export results in .mp3 files that have the output from my microphone, but no accompaniment. Just my voice... which is not what is required of me. 

How can I do this in a way that includes both the midi sound and the audio? I'm using Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth for the midi, fyi. Thanks in advance!

If you have the vocal on one track and the midi, routed to your GS Wavetable Synth, and they both play when you hit play in Cakewalk, which I am assuming you are using, then you should be able to export them both.  Each track should be routed, or output to, a main bus on the right side of the console view. If you go to the file menu and choose export you will see a dialog with lots of options at the bottom. Select "Entire Mix", or "What you hear". You could also select busess and then just select the main bus to output.

Your export should be a "mix" of your vocal and midi audio.

Another thing to try, besides looking in the Reference Manual, is to replace your GS Wavetable Synth with one that comes with cakewalk, like TTS, and see if that makes a difference.

If you're using  Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth for your sound, this is treated by Cakewalk as an external MIDI device (in exactly the same way as an external hardware sound module).

You have two choices:

• First record the output of the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth on to an audio track, then do your export; or
  • Do as @Kalle Rantaaho suggests and use TTS-1 as your synth instead of the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth.