[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2020.04 Early Access 2

8 hours ago, Milton Sica said:

Gerenciador de plug-ins

Ao tentar fazer alterações em um menu MIDI Effects personalizado, quando escolho o nome do menu na caixa de listagem, há um abandono sem gravação, retornando ao projeto.

Even worse happened, when I had it saved and chose the name of a Custom Menu I had been using. Disaster: the entire menu has been replaced.
It is clear that the Effects Menu of non-MIDI plugins when saved saves everything, but the MIDI menu when saved only saves MIDI effects. Disaster summary: I will have to rebuild all of the custom menu again, as the rollback does not reverse what is personalized.

Plugin Layouts won't be affected by the update or rollback as they're user data. Those files are saved separately, and unfortunately if you saved over an existing layout, it's overwritten. You'll just want to be careful when naming your layout presets. 

38 minutes ago, Peter Stiens said:

Hi cakewalk team,

I am using BigBang (cinematic drums) from SoniVox.

Everything is fine, as long as I do not meet certain circumstances: 

The situation in detail:

• press a drum button on the sonivox GUI - ok
  • drag a note inside the pianoroll - crash
  • play the notes that can be seen in the pianoroll - ok
  • press a key on the real midi keyboard (associated with a drum) - crash
  • press a key on the pianoroll keyboard (associated with a drum) - crash

I've attached a mini dump - had to compress with 7Z. Unfortunately it is not the dump from the screenshotted situation.

If you need a matching pair (screenshot - dump), I can produce one.

I tried to reproduce this error and found this out:

If a create a complete new cakewalk project, insert a track with bigbang, everything is ok.

If I use one of my projects with some tracks, I have this faulty behaviour as described above.

If I delete all tracks from my project except bigbang, the error remains.

Now, if i save this one-track-project, close, load , then it's ok.

now i can add some other tracks (6 in this case) - no error at all.

now I save this 7 track-project, close, load and bam, an error occurs as soon as I hit a key on the keyboard for bigbang.

all this happens on my desktop and on my notebook.

both are very new machines, Intel I9 / AMD 3900, enough memory 😉

hope this helps you tracking down the error.

bigbangstereo1.png

test-crash_04212020_222907.7z 3.82 MB · 1 download

The stack for the dump file is all within the plugin, you should try sending it to Sonivox. If there's anything on our end that needs to be tweaked, they can reach out and we'd be happy to look into it, but it seems like a plugin issue. 

• Like 1

New problem that I've encountered in the 2020.04 - EA1 and still persists in EA2:

- Project saved with the Browser and Synth Rack windows docked at bottom (since they are not accessible in the Console view).

On open, the project initially displays the saved configuration, Console view, with the 2 windows docked at bottom, then a rectangle flickers in the left upper corner of the screen (over the title bar) - shortly and blank, cannot visualize it - and all the docked windows disappear, are reset to default setting (docked at right, for Track view only), then the program automatically docks to bottom a Multitrack Piano Roll window, and it opens to it.

Problems existing in previous versions:

- New plugin that randomly gets reset to the default settings, on various operations - mainly transport and set play loop related: Konsol (by Analog Obsession, VST3, 64 Bit). It adds to Softube Tape (again, VST3, 64 Bit). If you can find the common instruction that resets these two plugins - in all or just some of their instances, the behavior varies, don't know according to what - Cakewalk randomly sends that instruction when you play with the loop points or transport bar, and it's a bitch. Unless saved, they're lost for good, and even if saved, have to manually reload them for many instances, several times a session. Sometimes I don't even realize they're reset, and all my subsequent mix choices on the track are null and void, and have to be redone on reloading the right setting.  A BITCH.

- Cakewalk does not remember the following saved settings for a project, and resets them on reopen:

- Show Aim Assist Time (additional question: why not place the time display rectangle ABOVE the ruler in the Navigation Bar, on the free space of the contextual menu? This new Show/Hide option is well intended, but doesn't solve the problem: either you have no time assist (defeats the purpose) or, if you use it, you have the same problem you had before the option was implemented - it covers the navigation bar ruler. Why not change the display position, and you won't need any check option at all?)

- Hide velocity on MIDI clips in Note mode

- Hide Navigator in Track view

- One knob PC modules collapsed states on instrument tracks (not for audio tracks), IF SAVED IN CONSOLE VIEW (if saved in Track view, no problem).

- The Wet Only ON state on the Nasty DLA (Variety of Sound) plugin (on Send buses)

- The presets loaded on Roland Juno 106, and on Slate Digital SSD 5.5.

So I have to redo all these operations on each project open before starting work - again, a bitch.

- Deleting an automated PC module does not delete the automation envelope.

- Reassigning an automation envelope from the drop down menu does not reassign envelope but creates a new envelope for the new selection.

Windows 10 machine here.

Looking for good news, guys.

Take care and good luck!

Edited by Olaf
haste and grammar
  • Great Idea 1

Crashes for tonight: 4, so far

- 3 trying to change the ASIO latency - 2 in the pics, one closed without warning

- 1 trying to save while playing, again, closed without warning.

On my Creative Audigy 2 ZS - 24 Bit (seen by CW as 16 Bit), 48 KHz.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.02423998b1b259142b7e54d9bb062a05.jpg186274641_Untitled2.thumb.jpg.6d3264b8e9f2556b86b574da790956eb.jpg

6 hours ago, Peter Stiens said:

Hi cakewalk team,

I am using BigBang (cinematic drums) from SoniVox.

Everything is fine, as long as I do not meet certain circumstances: 

The situation in detail:

• press a drum button on the sonivox GUI - ok
  • drag a note inside the pianoroll - crash
  • play the notes that can be seen in the pianoroll - ok
  • press a key on the real midi keyboard (associated with a drum) - crash
  • press a key on the pianoroll keyboard (associated with a drum) - crash

I've attached a mini dump - had to compress with 7Z. Unfortunately it is not the dump from the screenshotted situation.

If you need a matching pair (screenshot - dump), I can produce one.

I tried to reproduce this error and found this out:

If a create a complete new cakewalk project, insert a track with bigbang, everything is ok.

If I use one of my projects with some tracks, I have this faulty behaviour as described above.

If I delete all tracks from my project except bigbang, the error remains.

Now, if i save this one-track-project, close, load , then it's ok.

now i can add some other tracks (6 in this case) - no error at all.

now I save this 7 track-project, close, load and bam, an error occurs as soon as I hit a key on the keyboard for bigbang.

all this happens on my desktop and on my notebook.

both are very new machines, Intel I9 / AMD 3900, enough memory 😉

hope this helps you tracking down the error.

bigbangstereo1.png

test-crash_04212020_222907.7z 3.82 MB · 1 download

I use that plugin too, and I haven't updated from Cakewalk 2019's last update yet. But BigBang sure has given me a lot of problems in REAPER. I had to activate “Buggy plugin compatibility mode” in REAPER to use it. However, in Cakewalk 2019 it works fine! I wonder if something new in the latest Cakewalk is triggering it like in REAPER. It's probably a plugin bug, I think. I have sent SoniVox a feedback from their site, but I haven't received any reply yet. It would probably be a more urgent issue if you also contacted them about this.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gokidsmusic said:

Concerning Big Bang Cinematic

Crash Solution - Press the "learn" button before using the plugin. (Solution about halfway down the linked thread)

The solution reads:"

"John W over 3 years ago

Just press the "Learn" button after inserting the plugin, before playing any notes. This seems to bypass the "bug" somehow."

I had the same problem you describe, this simple work around works for me. 

Good Luck

Greg O

Thanks for this! I'll try it out as well. A really weird solution though.

8 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Prochannel module copy paste is already available. Do you not see it in the context menu? Click on the preset picker to view the presets and you should see Copy Settings and Paste Settings in the menu.

Oh wow, look at that! I totally missed that, I was expecting to see it in a right-click menu, so I didn't even notice it on the left click. 😅 Excellent!

9 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Regarding scrolling painting in windows can't be done async since its all on the UI thread. However generally it shouldn't be that slow. Can you share a project that exhibits this very slow behavior so we can repro it here?

I get that, but couldn't you theoretically paint to a bitmap DC on another thread, then paint the off-screen bitmap when it's done? That's like an extreme idea, I don't really think it should be necessary, I think there's just some serious bottleneck in the way the clips are drawn that I'm hoping can be improved. It happens when I'm working with lots of MIDI clips too, but it's not as bad, probably because MIDI clip don't have fade-in/-out. I get a massive improvement when I turn off View > Display > Display Clip Contents, but it still noticeably slows down when there are many clips on screen, and just slow enough that I get scroll messages queued up after I stop spinning my mouse wheel.

Project file is at https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ah3el4yzf6QEjdQtfM39z3ch-ncOww ("no audio data" because I had to check if sending a project without audio would still exhibit the same sluggishness. It does.) It's particularly bad when I'm working on a particularly dense section like the vocals from bar 87, with 22 take lanes because I'm not primarily a singer 😂. Probably try it out on an older machine, you might not suffer as much as me if you're running an i9 or a new Xeon Platinum. 😝

lots of clips.png

One question, is it possible to export several arranger sections in separate files at once, each file with the name of the section as the filename? Something like a "batch export". If not, what about that? It is very useful for mastering purposes, but also for voiceover recordings, dubbing, etc. If it is already possible, don't kill me.

Edited by MarianoGF

3 hours ago, MarianoGF said:

One question, is it possible to export several arranger sections in separate files at once, each file with the name of the section as the filename? Something like a "batch export". If not, what about that? It is very useful for mastering purposes, but also for voiceover recordings, dubbing, etc. If it is already possible, don't kill me.

You can export multiple arrangements at once, so the way to do this is:

1. Create multiple arrangements, each containing the section you want (so from the arrangement dropdown, select "New", then drag the section in there & repeat)
2. Select "Export As Audio" from the Arrangements dropdown.
3. On the export dialog, select the arrangements you want, sample rate, bit depth etc... and click "Export"

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Kaustub M. Joshi said:

I use that plugin too, and I haven't updated from Cakewalk 2019's last update yet. But BigBang sure has given me a lot of problems in REAPER. I had to activate “Buggy plugin compatibility mode” in REAPER to use it. However, in Cakewalk 2019 it works fine! I wonder if something new in the latest Cakewalk is triggering it like in REAPER. It's probably a plugin bug, I think. I have sent SoniVox a feedback from their site, but I haven't received any reply yet. It would probably be a more urgent issue if you also contacted them about this.

I did so, yesterday. Now waiting for a response.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

The stack for the dump file is all within the plugin, you should try sending it to Sonivox. If there's anything on our end that needs to be tweaked, they can reach out and we'd be happy to look into it, but it seems like a plugin issue. 

I contacted them yesterday. Now I am waiting for a channel to send the dump to them.

A further positive report from me....

I've been using EA2 a lot since my last post and not had any issues other than reported earlier (ALT-Mouse wheel behaviour).

My daughter is learning violin and I transcribed one of her pieces onto CbB so that she could hear how it should sound.
She has now decided that she wants to play it on flute as a "Thursday evening tribute to the NHS".

So I have a number of different versions (arrangements) with and without various other parts (2nd violin, accompaniment piano etc).
The Arranger made doing this a piece of cake. 👍

6 hours ago, msmcleod said:

You can export multiple arrangements at once, so the way to do this is:

1. Create multiple arrangements, each containing the section you want (so from the arrangement dropdown, select "New", then drag the section in there & repeat)
2. Select "Export As Audio" from the Arrangements dropdown.
3. On the export dialog, select the arrangements you want, sample rate, bit depth etc... and click "Export"

Thanks @msmcleod.
And what about exporting a batch of sections as separate files? For instance, export many songs after the mastering session. That would be fine.

I mean, the new "sections" by themselves can be used not only for arrangement purposes (whis is great), but also as simple (but useful) regions, which many Cakewalk users have been waiting for a long time.

• Thanks 1

On 4/20/2020 at 9:16 PM, Cédric Lawde said:

It may already be reported, but when I commit arrangement to project and one of my track is filtered on volume or other curve : the audio of these tracks disappears. And are not rendered of course...

This bothers me too.

image.png.6e87fbfcfcfad310e8b590df60df5bf7.png

To reproduce:

1. Lets have an audio clip in Track 1.

2. Set track's filter to Volume

3. Create a section above that clip.

4. CTRL+Drag&Drop the section (or Duplicate the section). The envelope is copied but not the audio clip. 

Note: I think this is not Arranger specific problem. The same behaviour happens when you select and CTRL+Drag&Drop a few audio clips from several tracks. Clips from those tracks with Filter set to any envelope are not copied (only the envelope nodes are).

Edited by fonolit

2 hours ago, fonolit said:

This bothers me too.

image.png.6e87fbfcfcfad310e8b590df60df5bf7.png

To reproduce:

1. Lets have an audio clip in Track 1.

2. Set track's filter to Volume

3. Create a section above that clip.

4. CTRL+Drag&Drop the section (or Duplicate the section). The envelope is copied but not the audio clip. 

Note: I think this is not Arranger specific problem. The same behaviour happens when you select and CTRL+Drag&Drop a few audio clips from several tracks. Clips from those tracks with Filter set to any envelope are not copied (only the envelope nodes are).

If clips select envelopes with clips is enabled, the normal drag/drop behavior should copy the clips and envelopes together correctly.

Duplicate also works if the Edit Filter is set to Clips or you expand automation lanes. Both the clips and automation envelopes will be duplicated. In any case it should ultimately be duplicating the clips as well in that context, so it's a logged issue on our end. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Ashley Miller said:

Oh wow, look at that! I totally missed that, I was expecting to see it in a right-click menu, so I didn't even notice it on the left click. 😅 Excellent!

I get that, but couldn't you theoretically paint to a bitmap DC on another thread, then paint the off-screen bitmap when it's done? That's like an extreme idea, I don't really think it should be necessary, I think there's just some serious bottleneck in the way the clips are drawn that I'm hoping can be improved. It happens when I'm working with lots of MIDI clips too, but it's not as bad, probably because MIDI clip don't have fade-in/-out. I get a massive improvement when I turn off View > Display > Display Clip Contents, but it still noticeably slows down when there are many clips on screen, and just slow enough that I get scroll messages queued up after I stop spinning my mouse wheel.

Project file is at https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ah3el4yzf6QEjdQtfM39z3ch-ncOww ("no audio data" because I had to check if sending a project without audio would still exhibit the same sluggishness. It does.) It's particularly bad when I'm working on a particularly dense section like the vocals from bar 87, with 22 take lanes because I'm not primarily a singer 😂. Probably try it out on an older machine, you might not suffer as much as me if you're running an i9 or a new Xeon Platinum. 😝

lots of clips.png

I have this problem as well, in all versions of Cakewalk, on a 4K monitor. It is like drawing lots of clips or data on the screen slows everything down. Cakewalk's official response was that it is not optimized for 4K yet.

19 hours ago, Olaf said:

Show Aim Assist Time (additional question: why not place the time display rectangle ABOVE the ruler in the Navigation Bar, on the free space of the contextual menu? This new Show/Hide option is well intended, but doesn't solve the problem: either you have no time assist (defeats the purpose) or, if you use it, you have the same problem you had before the option was implemented - it covers the navigation bar ruler. Why not change the display position, and you won't need any check option at all?)

Bloody good idea!

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Olaf said:

Show Aim Assist Time (additional question: why not place the time display rectangle ABOVE the ruler in the Navigation Bar, on the free space of the contextual menu?

I guess because if you are using more than one ruler format at once, the ruler (and therefore the aim assist information) will be wider than the space available above the ruler. Your idea is not bad, but just would work fine if you use only one ruler format.

Edited by MarianoGF
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, MarianoGF said:

I guess because if you are using more than one ruler format at once, the ruler (and therefore the aim assist information) will be wider than the space available above the ruler. Your idea is not bad, but just would work fine if you use only one ruler format.

I guess you're right, I only use two at once - measures, and time - so that would make two rows of information, which fits just fine. But I'm sure a workaround can be found. For instance, even it spills in the empty space of the context menu bar, above, that wouldn't probably hinder, since there's nothing there - and even if it were, positioning the mouse directly on that bar hides the aim assist time anyway, so you can hit anything without a problem.