Speakers and interface popping.

Garage Rodeo

Question

Ive had this issue for a while, and it seems to keep getting worse.  Say if I click over to Cakewalk tab now, it will click.  If I press play then stop on a project, there is a loud click.  Sometimes, adding an FX or turning it off etc.  Sometimes, Ill click on preference tab, close it, and there is a loud click.  It is especially annoying in headphones because the sound is like torture. 

1. I had a focusrite 2i2, and recently replaced it with a Native Intruments KA6. That didnt fix the problem either. 

2. Ive had cakewalk on the same desktop PC for about 4 or 5 years. Ive also tried different buffer settings, ran latencymon (but not savvy enough to translate report),

3. Switched to a powered USB hub, no change

4. For last year or so, Ive had constant issues dropping out. Usually "bounce to clip" would close the program. Sometimes adding a plugin, duplicating a track, etc.

I think Ive tried every trick I can find on the old forums for this. Thank you.

Issue 2: Cant pan anything, probably unrelated.  Take a mono track, bounce to mono, even export to mono, bring it back in, wont pan.

I have attached some screenshots of test reports. Thank you. 

latency mon 2.png

latency mon 3.png

latency mon.png

why so slow.png

7 answers to this question

I dont believe so, since Ive installed the Native instruments drivers twice, and attempted to erase focusrite drivers.  Ive had issues all year where Sonar would constantly shut down. I figured maybe a faster interface would fix it, but no dice.  All these issues happen with either interface.

Also, its good to see people from the old forum transferring to this one, I know some of you guys are computer geniuses.  I think its a deep PC issue, but Ive been down the rabbit hole too many times on it, and am about to just replace the computer.  But its 8Gb, and only 4 years old, should be enough. 

How annoying this must be. Somewhere on the Focusrite web site there was a reference to your first issue but I cannot find it now or else they have removed it. But I do remember the solution they suggested. We use Focusrite 6i6s and a Solo, so have a bit of knowledge of them.

Focusrite said that certain pops arise because of faulty USB controllers on the motherboard. They also said that these units, particularly if they are what they call first generation units, need to be run on USB2. They can run on a USB3 socket direct from the motherboard because I have a 6i6 running from one here. It could also run from a powered USB 3 hub because I just tested it. To test your USB controllers you can download a free piece of software here https://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtreeview_e.html  

Edited by sealesb
not finished the reply

Sorry that posted before I was finished. Because you have tried 2 different audio interfaces from different manufacturers you may have USB issue. That USB testing software will show if anything is wrong with the USB controllers on the motherboard. They will have an exclamation against them. Bear in mind though that if you are using Win 10 you will always get an exclamation mark against Port 15 for some reason known only to Microsoft.

Install the Focusrite drivers, when prompt, plug in the device to a USB 2 port (if first gen).

Always use this same port, don't use a USB hub, they will work for an extension but once you plug another device into the hub its simply too much information to be processed through one USB port. Especially when trouble shooting, remove a hub if one is being used.