Audible click track on acoustic guitar fade out

chamlin

Ugh. On a beautiful ending to a song where the acoustic guitar and bass sound a final note/chord, there's an audible click track. Some might not notice it, but it was a nightmarish moment hearing it.  Is there software, a plugin that can fix that? Replaying the last note is not a great option. And do any of you do that kind of work? It's a bout a 5 second segment.

Izotope Rx might have algorithms for removing 'pop' type noises that could reduce it. I have the limited set of Rx tools that comes with their Music Production Suite , but haven't had a need to use any of it yet. If you can post the fade out snippet, I could see what's possible. Or someone with the full Rx might try it for you.

Edited by David Baay
  • Like 1

I did this kind of removal with an electric fence pulses where I live, came into electric guitar fading out.

Best if you can isolate a single click, or even better a couple, with silent enough guitar, and duplicate that and invert phase on it.

It need to be same level, and that part is there in the actual recording. Picking a separate series, level must be precise as adjusted.

So feeding separate track with pulses in opposite phase to a bus to sum it.

It will probably take an hour 1st time doing this, but doable. It must be exactly in time, and recognizing what is click part in signal may be tricky at first, but you learn how to spot it.

Good part about click track is that click is persistent in time, everyone, this electric fence varied enough to not pick a series.

• Like 1

Well we're of to an inauspicious start, but there's hope! My Izotope suite has a 'De-Click' tool that looks like it might do the job, but it just crashed Cakewalk on a test fade+click clip I created! If I can get around the crash, I'll try it on your track.

• Like 1

It's fairly easy - there are plenty clicks without guitar in the tail, two bars or so.

Then it seems he took off phones and you hear more ambience, leave out that part.

I duplicated track, isolated a couple of those, and reversed phase - dead silent.

Then dragged this into parts with guitar sounding.

Fed these two track into a bus to sum.

Just identify accent, so they are paired and they should cancel out.

Increase visual level so half periods are easily spotted.

But it need to be really well aligned, not just about. 

• Like 1

Got De-Click working without crashing.  It helps but leaves behind the room sound of the click. Also tried inverting the click from a near silent section at the end with the guitar gated out per Lars' approach. As he said, it worked well in that area, but a fade has been applied to the click along with the guitar so the level is wrong for nulling in earlier areas. And it's a challenge to get the sample-accurate alignment you need to null. Figured out the click is at 149 BPM, but still had nudge each copy by a few samples. Not happy enough with any of my results to share anything. If Lars can make it work, he's your guy.  ;^)

• Like 1

I had Sonar 8.5 on this computer and sample rate fixed at 48k, so didn't go further to solve it completely since a conversion was made.

Interesting that David said it was faded in file, as it make level adjustment also on clicks - I missed that.

If OP can use unprocessed recording instead it would make it easier for him.

I thought it was just natural fade of notes OP was talking about.

Also if clicks are not 100% persistent from metronome makes it more difficult, I underestimated total of this.

I think I saw that, but thought it was to do with sample rate conversion that was done in my case.

It also means you need to identify each click disregarding sound of guitar which takes longer. Some spots you easily see each halfwave of click some spots not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LarsF said:

I thought it was just natural fade of notes OP was talking about.

Yeah, it's both - natural sustain decay with a volume fade on top of that. You can see the clicks fading in this screenshot of the waveform with scale maximized:

2102635314_ClicksinGuitarFade.thumb.png.f7e265b3537f0cd25d7581f3a76d4c92.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Baay said:

Yeah, it's both - natural sustain decay with a volume fade on top of that. You can see the clicks fading in this screenshot of the waveform with scale maximized:

2102635314_ClicksinGuitarFade.thumb.png.f7e265b3537f0cd25d7581f3a76d4c92.png

First, wow, thanks for all the help on this! Just a note: There's no volume fade, the guitarist was naturally and intentionally reducing his volume as the song winds down. Yes, the bpm was 149! :)

25 minutes ago, Gswitz said:

Was it captured with headphone bleed?

Yup, once the guitar volume lowered, it was audible. The rest of the song, even the beginning which is only acoustic guitar shows no sign of it due to played guitar volume.

17 minutes ago, chamlin said:

There's no volume fade, the guitarist was naturally and intentionally reducing his volume as the song winds down.

Something made the click volume decrease as well. Possibly it was delivered to you with a fade already applied - maybe specifically intended to obscure the click.

EDIT: Nulling out the click could be made a lot easier by having a copy of the raw .WAV file with the click running out further. 

Edited by David Baay

It's kind of fascinating because I was there when it was recorded and don't see how that is possible yet my ears too hear that.

I just went on to Upwork and posted that end bit asking for proposals for fixing that with RX. Almost immediately got a sample mp3 back from a guy in Malaysia demonstrating the clicks gone. Amazing. Literally 15 minutes from posting. Grateful for everyone's help here on this as you got me there! Thanks David Baay and LarsF!

Fixed track attached!

Acoustic Guitar METRONOME issue - File is 24bit 44.1 full edited.wav

That's pretty good

Elements does not have spectral repair so the clean up is tedious and the results, in my case, are not as good.

Acoustic Guitar METRONOME issue - File is 24bit 44.1 elements fix.wav 

update: link removed

Edited by scook