Red Rocks

bjornpdx

Red Rocks

Inspired by the red rock canyons in Utah. Very ambient.

Flute is OTS Mesa Winds
bunch of Omnisphere sounds
Trilian

I wrote this a few years ago. Thought I would try remixing it now that I have more experience with mixing and now that I have Ozone to help with mastering. So this is a first pass at a remix.   Thanks for listening.

• Like 3

Bjorn , Very nice . I actually play Native American flute, they are so touchy you have to be real calm and relaxed just to play them . It's pretty hard for a synth to reproduce the "air" overtones but you can reinforce  it with whispering air blows into a mic following the notes. Great job , very calming.    mark

• Like 1

The sound stage on this is quite lovely!

5 hours ago, Douglas Kirby said:

quite a palette of sounds

Indeed.
There was a time when I made annual runs thru this country. Laid over in what was then "the little town" of Moab.
One night a spectacular thunderstorm blew thru, amazing (but must admit a tad frightening) experience.

Maybe a two parter (think the Wooks' recent works) that morphs into a more dramatic second section?

👍s and more...

t

• Like 1

I too have multiple trips of soul searching in this area. Ya gotta go! Let's just say, usually "social distancing" is not a problem there.

Very cool track, Bjorn. Certainly evokes the feeling. Mix-wise, I think the whole piece could be longer, actually. I like the drums that come in, and if you are going to have drums then turn them up? . . . and at the very beginning you might insert a half a second of silence, it starts rather abruptly upon hitting play.

Meet you at that one motel with the cabin-y looking sprawl at the base of the Vermillion Cliffs.  :)

cheers,

-Tom

Edited by emeraldsoul
  • Like 1

Hey Bjorn . . . so beautiful, strange how a desolate place can be so inspiring . . . perhaps it's the absolute silence, and stalling of time, which you've really captured in this piece. I like that the drums are mixed back with some subtle bass traveling along with it, keeping the ambiance upfront. Myself, I would have used some hand drums for something like this, but the way you mixed this really works for me anyways.

• Like 1

Doug
Thanks for listening and commenting. Yeah that OTS flute is great. All kinds of articulation possibilities.

Mark
I have an actual Native American flute as well. Never could get the hang of it though.

freddy
As always thanks for listening and commenting.

tom
I've taken a couple of trips to the Grand Canyon (north rim) specifically for thunderstorms. Had a scary one way too close but I got it on video.

Makke
thanks for listening and commenting.

Tom
This is actually a shortened version of a very drone-y maybe too long track. I messed up and cut the beginning a little too soon.

noynekker
Appreciate the comments!

Paul
Thank you for listening and commenting.

• Like 1

Bjorn, I like this a lot. Especially the flutes. Makes me almost want to go buy Omnisphere. I say almost because I probably can't afford it right now.

Very relaxing track that has a western feel with a modern twist. Congrats on nice work here!