Audio Clicks when Opening and closing projects

Rfcousins

I just installed the latest update to Win 10 and replaced my firewire interface with the Tascam USB20X20 USB 3 interface. I am hearing a single audio click as each Project loads or closes. Any suggestions would be appreciated. ( Changing Buffers setting does not affect the problem)

A single click when making/breaking connections to an audio signal chain is a pretty common event. It is often heard when switching off or on some component. At the end  of the chain a speaker is suddenly getting a voltage or losing one and the pop or click can occur as the speaker responds to the switching. Opening or closing a project can have a similar effect. You could investigate whether there is some kind of voltage offset in your system, but if it is only heard and does not get recorded in anything you are interested in you probably do not need to bother with anything.

I've been getting this on windows startup with my Focusrite Scarlett interfaces ever since I installed Win 10 1909.

Microsoft have probably changed something in the driver initialisation process.

Opening/Closing Cakewalk opens & closes the audio device drivers, so depending on what interface you have, you may get a similar effect.

There is a reference to Latency Monitor. On my system at least, there is a problem between Windows 10, NVIDIA and Cakewalk. Latency Monitor shows system perfect, until you open Cakewalk. Then the NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver develops a serious execution time, which causes all these dropouts. I updated to the latest NVIDIA driver ( few days old), but it doesn't help.

Latency Monitor

I forgot to add - for whatever reason, this issue is not occurring on my desktop or my laptop, and I am current with all maintenance, so perhaps it is indeed something to do with system-specific conditions, such as video drivers - ie perhas NVIDIA.  My desktop has a high-end EVGA video card, Geforce RTX 2070 Super XC, and I cannot recall what graphics is in it, but for whatever reason, neither experiences these clicks/noises/dropouts at project open or close - perhaps that can help a little - hope so anyway, I am no expert with this.  The Geforce card in the desktop says it is NVIDIA-compatible, but I think that is as close as it gets to NVIDIA.

Bob Bone

• 6 months later...

Audio Clicks SOLVED!

I was pursuing a problem where changing "Screensets" during playback of MIDI only project would stumble playback.  I was checking my "Preferences_ Configuration File " settings and decided to try changing the "Properties" Thread Scheduling Model to see what effect if any occurred. The setting when I opened the window was "2".

I lowered the demand to a setting of "1" and my Screenset issues was resolved. 

It has been so long that I have been putting up with the Audio Click when opening and closing projects that it took about 15 minutes before I realized that it was no longer happening.  

Hope that this helps someone else who might be looking to resolve this minor but very annoying behavior.

Cakewalk is still the best for me after 30 years.