INCREASE VOLUME ON MIDI NOTES IN SINGLE TRACK

Marcello

Question

Is it possible to increase the volume of a single note in Piano Roll having all in a single track?

I am using a drum machine plugin but I have everything on a MIDI track: snare, kick, ride, crash etc.

After having recorded the drums track I realized that the crash and ride are too low in volume, is it possible to increase the volume directly from Piano Roll?

If I right click on a note I have the following options I can modify, but there is no volume, only the Velocity, which should not be the volume but indeed the strenght of the hit on the drums, which is different.

Any Idea? I don't want to record again the drums modifying the volume from the plugin. Took me ages!

image.png.fee85a1cd9b15218e7108964cca3ada8.png

10 answers to this question

Volume is not a note property, velocity is.

Volume is generally CC7.

That said most drum synths have a way to adjust the volume of individual kit piece in the UI and many have a way to split out the different kit pieces to separate audio tracks adding another layer of volume control.

If I send everything in different tracks from the plugin, it loses the sound mix properties of the plugin, it passes only the rough sound to the DAW, and then I have to do the mixing again from the DAW directly for each track.

You are using a Kontakt drum kit. This probably means that you can set different audio outputs for the different classes of drums. Check in the setup of the instrument. With almost all drum kits the crash and ride will be in the overheads channel. Abbreviated to OH. But those mikes also pick up the other drums, so iy is a fine balance.

In the MIDI data the velocities are at 126, where 127 is the maximum, so you will have to make everything except the crash and ride lower velocities. That does translate to volume. That is how a drummer plays louder, he hits the drum harder.

Usually it is better to start your own thread with a new question not tag onto a 3 year old thread.

However, you can cut the clip, using the scissor tool or the 's' command. Then use clip gain, or process audio->gain to change it.

Other ways include using track automation to increase the volume using a volume envelope or if you have Melodyne you can cut the clip to contain the note you want and then analyze it with Melodyne and use Molodyne's gain tool to increase/decrease the volume. Make sure you bounce the melodyne clip after.

Please see the documentation for Splitting Clips, Applying Clip Gain, Volume Automation ect.

• Like 2