IK Multimedia - ARC 3

Sander Verstraten

I installed ARC 3 this morning and ran the measurement software to set up multiple monitors. Initial (very initial) tests vs Sonarworks System 4 have me feeling the correction for ARC 3 sounds very similar to ARC 2.5. I was hoping it would tighten up the low-midrange smear I get in the control room. It doesn't do as good a job as Sonarworks. Much clearer definition in the low end. Bass sounds more articulate. My mixes have translated well with System 4 for several years now and I am more confident with my mix decisions since deciding to use it instead of ARC 2.5. I'll run some test mixes with both and see how they translate.

The other thing is if you use T-Racks for mastering it won't load the new ARC 3. Only ARC 2.5. I think they need to address that.

I think we're all overthinking it.  Objectively, traditional microphones are more affected by environmental factors (including age).  However, we do include the profiles for those microphones because they can still provide excellent results.  We just have more confidence in a MEMS microphone being exactly as it left the warehouse/factory and also will not deviate between different units of the same microphone (never a reason to create a "matched pair" for MEMS microphones like you find for traditional recording mics, for example) thus the profile is going to be more consistent among the MEMS microphones.  But we do have accurate profiles for the previous two microphones which is why their effectiveness isn't negated, but there are real and objective physical truths to be considered and we make our recommendation for best results based on this information.

Supporting third party measurement microphones (including the Sonarworks mic) is a big step in ARC too, and we can get excellent results there because we either had the profiles available or they have profiles available to use.  It is similar to something like Mic Room - if you know the source, the results will be better.  If the source is more consistent then different units even of the same source microphone will inevitably have variations, however slight and differing in impact based on environmental factors outside of the software's control,  if they are traditional microphones.

27 minutes ago, Tommy Byrnes said:

I installed ARC 3 this morning and ran the measurement software to set up multiple monitors. Initial (very initial) tests vs Sonarworks System 4 have me feeling the correction for ARC 3 sounds very similar to ARC 2.5. I was hoping it would tighten up the low-midrange smear I get in the control room. It doesn't do as good a job as Sonarworks. Much clearer definition in the low end. Bass sounds more articulate. My mixes have translated well with System 4 for several years now and I am more confident with my mix decisions since deciding to use it instead of ARC 2.5. I'll run some test mixes with both and see how they translate.

The other thing is if you use T-Racks for mastering it won't load the new ARC 3. Only ARC 2.5. I think they need to address that.

You might want to check which phase settings you are using and make sure the measurements were good.  ARC System 3 should provide better results in almost all cases.

We'll be adding the ARC System 3 integration in a future update of T-RackS.

• Like 1

Peter, I toggled between both phase settings and I was very precise with measuring as well. I have not worked with ARC 3 for more than an hour or so under mixing conditions so I'll definitely give it more of a test over the next couple of days. That was my initial findings. One thing I will say is taking measurements in ARC 3, while easier than it was previously is still nowhere as easy as System 4. 

11 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

What is the best microphone to use with ARC 3?

To get the best possible results in terms of accuracy you should use the ARC 3 MEMS Microphone.

With this mic ARC 3 ensures a precision within +/- 0.5dB, which is a quite remarkable level of accuracy!

It’s the best investment you can do for your studio, it’s a reasonably priced microphone, and it offers a great stability with time and temperature, so it will always deliver the same reliable results over years.

I don't disagree. I should've worded things differently.  My point is that if someone is strapped for cash and can only afford the software at the moment then I think the benefits of the software will be enough coupled with the old mic to make a difference but a next level of improvement would definitely be the new mems mic.

8 hours ago, Starise said:

If I buy a product based on accuracy it either is or it isn't. We can mince words any way you want to but to me the results are suspect

I don't think it's as simple as "it's either accurate or it's not". Getting the most out your home studio is really the sum of all its parts. Every improvement is a small one that adds up. Think of it like mixing a song. You make subtle moves that add up to  a radio ready result. I recently spent $400 on DIY Acoustic panels even though I already had room eq (ARC) because the reality is that all of these little improvements add up.  ARC by itself can still be useful but it really should be the last piece after room treatment. I got it on sale for $50 so it was worth getting at that price, even before my room treatment. Having said that, Marketing is Marketing and IK is no different. They are going to claim that their product is "unsurpassed" and the one tool to rule them all, but we all know better, or we should.

Edited by Patrick Derbidge

I got a response from Support about me not getting the $50 coupon. And this response was after I specifically told them it's not showing up on the Checkout page:

Anyone else get a response from IK on this issue?

Edit:

Here is the deal: I just registered my ARC 2.5 product recently (when I built my new PC and got a new audio interface). That recent registration allowed me to get ARC 3.0 for free!! They just put it in my account!! I am a happy camper. I will alter my post above to reflect this. 

Edited by Grem

12 minutes ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

What is your ticket number @Grem ?

Peter I was hoping to come back here an edit my post before You saw it! The support guys took care of me. 

Here is the deal: I just registered my ARC 2.5 product recently (when I built my new PC and got a new audio interface). That recent registration allowed me to get ARC 3.0 for free!! They just put it in my account!! I am a happy camper. I will alter my post above to reflect this. 

Thanks again Peter.

Edited by Grem

20 hours ago, Grem said:

Peter I was hoping to come back here an edit my post before You saw it! The support guys took care of me. 

Thanks again Peter.

Great to hear!  Sorry I was this guy:

b0b43efe1f3e407bbb1494e3054eda76.jpg

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...