IK Multimedia - ARC 3

Sander Verstraten

16 minutes ago, balinas said:

The update price from ARC 2.5 is $99. IKM then gives you a $50 coupon, making the price $49. Not sure if one could then use jam points along with the additional $50 off IKM is giving. 

Doesn't look like it to me.

31 minutes ago, mibby said:

Does this have a "system wide" function? Or is it strictly for use JUST in a DAW?

There is no built-in system wide function.  There are free and commercial products that will work with ARC 3 and we should have some FAQ information posted about this soon.

29 minutes ago, mibby said:

Also, I don't see ARC 2.5 for sale anymore...

That is correct.  ARC 3 is the current version that replaces the previous versions so they are no longer for sale.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Soundwise said:

If I already have ARC2.5, is the new mic a lot better or should I keep the mic and just upgrade the software?

I wondered the same thing. My mic has the orange ring around the bottom.  ARC 2.5 let me specifically identify the mic before corrections.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Soundwise said:

If I already have ARC2.5, is the new mic a lot better or should I keep the mic and just upgrade the software?

Wondering about the mic also as I have the one with the orange ring on the bottom too.

3 hours ago, balinas said:

The update price from ARC 2.5 is $99. IKM then gives you a $50 coupon, making the price $49. Not sure if one could then use jam points along with the additional $50 off IKM is giving. 

Upgrade from 2.5 to 3 for $49 is a really decent upgrade price for loyal previous owners!! Thanks @Peter - IK Multimedia! You must have finally gotten through to them!! 🎉🎉🎉😀

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Soundwise said:

ARC 2.5 introduced the MEMS microphone, if that is what you have it would be the same microphone.

18 hours ago, Starise said:

I wondered the same thing. My mic has the orange ring around the bottom.  ARC 2.5 let me specifically identify the mic before corrections.

Your mic will work.  However we do have more information on why the MEMS microphone is the best choice:

With normal “recording” microphones the accuracy of the frequency response down to the dB or fraction of dB is not that crucial, but for measurement microphones it’s a fundamental aspect.

There were two models of the original ARC condenser microphone, one with an orange ring at its base, one without; the first model is from 2007 and it’s the one without the orange ring.

Condenser microphones tend to vary their response with environmental conditions and with age.

In 2009 that mic was replaced with the second model (with the orange ring) to improve the stability with time and temperature.

So, if you own one of the original ring-less microphones that was sold between 2007 and 2009, while you can for sure use and see the results, there are chances that its reliability is not great at today (11+ years later), making the precision of the ARC 3 correction less accurate.

The second model was more stable, but even that one is surpassed in terms of precision and stability with environment and age by the ARC 3 MEMS microphone.

So, if you’re after a great level of accuracy from your monitoring system, make sure to use the ARC 3 MEMS microphone for the room analysis phase.

17 hours ago, Grem said:

Wondering about the mic also as I have the one with the orange ring on the bottom too.

Upgrade from 2.5 to 3 for $49 is a really decent upgrade price for loyal previous owners!! Thanks @Peter - IK Multimedia! You must have finally gotten through to them!! 🎉🎉🎉😀

Please see above about the microphones.  Thanks for the compliment, I did have some influence - not gonna lie :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

Thanks for the compliment, I did have some influence - not gonna lie :)

It is much appreciated Peter. And it's says something about the company too. They are listening. And that makes a whole lot of difference.

Thanks for the detailed info on the differences in the mics that came with different versions of ARC. I have the one with the orange ring on the bottom so I will probably go with the software update. I need correction, but not real critical.

2 hours ago, Grem said:

It is much appreciated Peter. And it's says something about the company too. They are listening. And that makes a whole lot of difference.

Thanks for the detailed info on the differences in the mics that came with different versions of ARC. I have the one with the orange ring on the bottom so I will probably go with the software update. I need correction, but not real critical.

Sure thing, glad to help and that it is making a difference.  With regard to the mics, you'll be fine.  MEMS mics are more consistent and don't age like traditional mics but the previous mics will get you to where you need to be from the sound of it.

• Like 1

Hmm. Tempting. I just got 2.5 this last year and really like it. I recently just outfitted my small studio with with massive amounts of diy absorption panels ( a mix of Rockwool and Owens Corning 703) so ready to put my studio back together and recallibrate. Trying to figure out the benefit of 3.0 over 2.5

So far the upgrades I can see are

1. A new  natural vs linear phase mode

2. The ability to use calibration files from 3rd party measurement mics.  I have both the new ARC mic and a Dayton audio mic.

3. The ability to set upper and lower limits to the correction.

4. Adjustment to the smoothing of the correction filters.  I like the idea behind this feature.

5. New metering suite for checking mixes. 

Am I missing anything? 

I have to say I am surprised at no system wide correction yet.  I would've thought this  feature would be number one on the upgrade priority list.  Not a deal breaker for me though but could be for others.

10 minutes ago, Grem said:

Not understanding this. When I correct the response in the room with ARC, wouldn't that be system wide? 

Well it's only available as an insert in your DAW. In contrast to SonarWorks, that also adds a virtual out on OS level, so you can listen Spotify etc. with room correction.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sander Verstraten said:

Well it's only available as an insert in your DAW. In contrast to SonarWorks, that also adds a virtual out on OS level, so you can listen Spotify etc. with room correction.

Now I understand. A standalone version. Yeah that would be nice!! IIRC, this was one of the beefs people had with ARC for a while now. Maybe 3.5?

• Like 1