Total Studio Max up to 75% off

cclarry

59 minutes ago, Grem said:

I thought the Mr Ed reference meant that, since Mr Ed can't really speak, he is only mouthing what someone else is saying, that was a reference to Peter just telling us what his higher ups are telling him.

But as you can see, I way over thought that one!!! : )

I was happy after reading Peters reply to my concern as to my silly little post perhaps being taken to mean something that wasn't intended . . . then I read your post 😁

I can see how you could come to that thinking, and it wouldn't take a lot of over thinking either 😐 I'm just glad I aired my concern that I had a feeling things may have been taken in an unintended direction.

• Like 2

I'm an IK fanboy.  I have so much of their stuff my user area takes 3 days to read.  I should probably turn in my badge because I forget to use most of it.  That's why I'm passing on this.   So this bitch session was brought from KVR over to here.  Ugh!

• Like 1

While I am a fan, a boy (so my wife says), and also have more audio tools than I need or use, I think we are all wise enough to know that Peter is paid to be both patient and productive and that he does it well.  But we also know IK's MO when it comes to doing business - not saying it's bad but consistent which can be both rewarding and frustrating.

I thought I was going to go for this deal even though I would only benefit of a couple of plugs but also gain an upgrade path & benefit.  I was thinking I could MAXgrade to it since I have Amplitude MAX only to find out that I am not eligible because I got it free in one of their own promotions.  Makes me wonder about those who won one in a contest as well.  We can debate motives and practices but at the end of the day it's their model and they is who they is.  Great product but very frustrating purchasing environment (IK might say ingenious :)).

• Like 2

All the methods of marketing and periodic issues with ST 4 as a program aside. I am using it now in a song and so far working well! The most recent version of ST 4 seems to be the most stable so far.So far I've only been playing with SampleTank and Miroslav Philharmonic. Both of those are deep enough to make just about any idea you have come to fruition.

My history with IK goes way back. Remember Sonic Synth 2?  It's still listed in my products area from 2012. My first purchase goes back to 2011. Back then I was using Sampletank on a laptop for live playing. After that  I started to use hardware synths for the same things and sort of drifted away from it. When I started to compose ITB it seemed KONTAKT was the way to go since it also played 3rd party libraries. Only recently have I re examined what the new ST4 can do. The program has come a long way and is a real contender in the VSTi market. I'm going to try and make an entire song using mostly only ST and see how that pans out, maybe use the multi part of the program. I'll admit I'm still a little nervous about doing it because of the issue I had with earlier versions crashing. If it works out well though I might be seeing KONTAKT less and less. Especially if the sound paks which might compare favorably to KONTAKT are reasonably priced. No I probably won't ever be ditching KONTAKT, but ST4 will be a nice card on the table.

8 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

I'm an IK fanboy.  I have so much of their stuff my user area takes 3 days to read.  I should probably turn in my badge because I forget to use most of it.  That's why I'm passing on this.   So this bitch session was brought from KVR over to here.  Ugh!

I'll have to see what the KVR boys are saying. Might be another discussion similar to the never ending ones we heard about Sonar X-3. There were some legit bugs in it and there were some legit bugs in earlier ST for some. Not to scare anyone, but I've had the occasional crash even with the new build but I can't duplicate it with regularity so I'm thinking it might be an issue with how things are playing on my computer. It's sad really but when a product is released if there are issues the product seems to gain a reputation from then on no matter how good subsequent versions are. I think this was the issue with SampleTank.  They have to write for both Mac and PC. Some of those issues weren't on both platforms. While I certainly do listen to what others are saying about the recent builds of ST, I will obviously be basing a lot of my views on my own experiences. In some cases a new idea or product is seem more as a target than an opportunity or a ** .vs ** because people love that kind of thing. Sometimes good points are made in those discussions. Other times it's a never ending loop of you know what :)....sorry man I write books.

14 hours ago, Fwrend said:

The icon used for Mr. Ed made me think he was alluding to fitz being an ***** but then I was like wait, Mr. Ed's a horse - a talking horse!   Oh well, we've all been on both sides of the fence but I am impressed even as a "rep," Pete has professionally maintained patience and remained helpful through it all.

I honestly had no idea what it meant but still loved it and ran with it so that's probably worse!  I didn't think I was the butt of a joke here, though, since I tend to hang here enough to get the inside jokes and the general vibe.  Thank you for the kind words, too.  I certainly like THOSE vibes.  Who wouldn't??

13 hours ago, Grem said:

I thought the Mr Ed reference meant that, since Mr Ed can't really speak, he is only mouthing what someone else is saying, that was a reference to Peter just telling us what his higher ups are telling him.

But as you can see, I way over thought that one!!! : )

Single digit taxes? Where? Here in Louisiana it's 10% most places. Well, technically, it's 9.5%. But since there is no half cents, you get charged the full 10% anyway. 

@fitzroy I didn't agree with Peter about Taxes. I was disagreeing with your remark about Peter. Most of us here in the states don't like taxes at all and can totally understand how because of them, something becomes less of a value.

Ah wow, I've only lived in places with single digit sales tax.    

12 hours ago, ensconced said:

I was happy after reading Peters reply to my concern as to my silly little post perhaps being taken to mean something that wasn't intended . . . then I read your post 😁

I can see how you could come to that thinking, and it wouldn't take a lot of over thinking either 😐 I'm just glad I aired my concern that I had a feeling things may have been taken in an unintended direction.

I was sad to hear that you thought I took it negatively, I really did love it.  Even if I didn't fully understand it.  I also figured folks like @Fleer could run with something like that.

12 hours ago, Marc Cormier said:

I might be "Maxed" but Larry's still a lot MORE maxed.  He just couldn't call himself that until this sale!😁

No matter my affiliation or what I'm probably not supposed to laugh at - this was legitimately funny to me.  1 chortle well-earned.  But also seriously taking a note from this too.

1 hour ago, Starise said:

All the methods of marketing and periodic issues with ST 4 as a program aside. I am using it now in a song and so far working well! The most recent version of ST 4 seems to be the most stable so far.So far I've only been playing with SampleTank and Miroslav Philharmonic. Both of those are deep enough to make just about any idea you have come to fruition.

My history with IK goes way back. Remember Sonic Synth 2?  It's still listed in my products area from 2012. My first purchase goes back to 2011. Back then I was using Sampletank on a laptop for live playing. After that  I started to use hardware synths for the same things and sort of drifted away from it. When I started to compose ITB it seemed KONTAKT was the way to go since it also played 3rd party libraries. Only recently have I re examined what the new ST4 can do. The program has come a long way and is a real contender in the VSTi market. I'm going to try and make an entire song using mostly only ST and see how that pans out, maybe use the multi part of the program. I'll admit I'm still a little nervous about doing it because of the issue I had with earlier versions crashing. If it works out well though I might be seeing KONTAKT less and less. Especially if the sound paks which might compare favorably to KONTAKT are reasonably priced. No I probably won't ever be ditching KONTAKT, but ST4 will be a nice card on the table.

I'll have to see what the KVR boys are saying. Might be another discussion similar to the never ending ones we heard about Sonar X-3. There were some legit bugs in it and there were some legit bugs in earlier ST for some. Not to scare anyone, but I've had the occasional crash even with the new build but I can't duplicate it with regularity so I'm thinking it might be an issue with how things are playing on my computer. It's sad really but when a product is released if there are issues the product seems to gain a reputation from then on no matter how good subsequent versions are. I think this was the issue with SampleTank.  They have to write for both Mac and PC. Some of those issues weren't on both platforms. While I certainly do listen to what others are saying about the recent builds of ST, I will obviously be basing a lot of my views on my own experiences. In some cases a new idea or product is seem more as a target than an opportunity or a ** .vs ** because people love that kind of thing. Sometimes good points are made in those discussions. Other times it's a never ending loop of you know what :)....sorry man I write books.

I'm glad you're re-examining SampleTank 4 a bit.  *start cloaking from my management*  With the latest update, SamleTank 4 CS sound library, and the Editor, I feel that even we started getting the most out of the power of our own software.  That's not a dig, it is a deep bit of software really and they had time to really take lots of notes so it isn't like they've "finally learned" our own software but still... the stride has been hit much better at this time *end cloaking*

About that impressive tenure using IK products, *start cloaking again* Imagine working for them for 10+ years! *end cloaking*.  But seriously, that's cool, I believe my first use of IK products was AmpliTube 2.  It was around the time my colleagues from Berklee who were working in the industry in some major studios were still telling others "don't fear the amp sim" and things like "everybody uses them" etc.

I can't comment on the KVR thread, I commented some matter-of-fact, well, facts about what is in Total Studio 2 MAX and the flagship MAX products and how that information can be found on our site (and how it is almost identical to how a large well-known bundle does it) and I don't think I was a jerk about it so I'm not sure if anybody ended up getting offended by that.  I ended up coming here and Gearslutz after that (and started here this morning) so now I'm not looking forward to revisiting there but KVR is KVR, I understand how it's different there than here, GS, and some other forums.  Another reason it is best to save that visit for last for me :)  There are indeed some gold to be mined among the rest of the mess in most threads there though, I agree with that point.

17 minutes ago, JoeGBradford said:

I've had a crash with ST4 in CbB when auditioning sounds. I'll see how it goes.....

Keep me/us posted and we'll go from there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Starise said:

Basically it was retailers had to change their prices from $149 to $179.  It was a mistake. We've seen this before.

Thanks Pete for your comments. All companies have drama I suppose. I have never worked anywhere this wasn't the case. IK makes a great line of products and in spite of those periodic short term setbacks has managed to keep going. One of the oldest in this line of product and still one of the best.

Kitekrazy,  I went over to KVR. I couldn't find anything that reminded me of some past threads I have read there. Everything was pretty cordial for KVR. They had the kid gloves on. I believe they have banned most of the 13 year olds who forgot to take their Ritalin. 😁

I just finished downloading everything this morning and I think I started Saturday?
I have a Mac but don't currently use it for music because I'm spread thin enough as it is with my PC DAWs and happy enough with the results so don't feel the need to  add yet another DAW on a separate platform.
But that may change at some point - so I downloaded all the Mac content as well as the PC content.  If IKM didn't have a timeout on the downloads I wouldn't have downloaded any of the Mac content nor about 1/2 of the PC content. 

I'm not grumpy about it but I do wonder about the true cost of the current policy is to IKM and how much their bandwidth usage would decrease if people didn't have to do 'insurance' downloads vs of what was actually needed.

Edited by TheSteven

On 4/16/2020 at 11:50 AM, kitekrazy said:

I guess with jam points for me it would be $99.   Basically I'd be  getting Modo Bass and eating up drive space with Syntronik.  This is a killer deal but not for me.

I have Syntronik - and it is superb, with its rich analog synth sounds complimenting my other sound libraries  (I have 2+ TB of sample libraries, plus about 1/2 TB of analog synth sounds).

(from the IK specs page for Syntronik)

Sounds included in Syntronik

17 Instrument Collections representing 38 classic synthesizers and string machines

Over 50 GB of samples

Over 2,000 instruments presets

It's not that big, really...60 GB space required 

Bob Bone

Edited by Robert Bone
added disk space required

4 hours ago, Starise said:

Thanks Pete for your comments. All companies have drama I suppose. I have never worked anywhere this wasn't the case. IK makes a great line of products and in spite of those periodic short term setbacks has managed to keep going. One of the oldest in this line of product and still one of the best.

Kitekrazy,  I went over to KVR. I couldn't find anything that reminded me of some past threads I have read there. Everything was pretty cordial for KVR. They had the kid gloves on. I believe they have banned most of the 13 year olds who forgot to take their Ritalin. 😁

True and I really was joking.  I wouldn't be here 10+ years if I wasn't enjoying myself.  Of course that segues nicely into KVR as I'll admit that's probably the only thing that's nearly broken me over those 10+ years.  There has been some nastiness for sure, with a marked improvement lately even if it still can seem a bit heated compared to somewhere like here.     I did have the advantage of an existing rapport with many users there pre-IK as I believe I had 4,000+ posts before my IK tenure started.  Another tangent is that I stipulated to both KVR and IK that I must be able to use a separate and clearly-branded IK username as would any IK rep in the future.  Glad to stick to that, though I really could have made that 4K post count SO much higher otherwise.  Either way, "sock puppets" were a huge problem back then (and some argue still are, but I think it is far better now) so I didn't want to get associated with anything like that and wanted to remain above board.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

True and I really was joking.  I wouldn't be here 10+ years if I wasn't enjoying myself.  Of course that segues nicely into KVR as I'll admit that's probably the only thing that's nearly broken me over those 10+ years.  There has been some nastiness for sure, with a marked improvement lately even if it still can seem a bit heated compared to somewhere like here.     I did have the advantage of an existing rapport with many users there pre-IK as I believe I had 4,000+ posts before my IK tenure started.  Another tangent is that I stipulated to both KVR and IK that I must be able to use a separate and clearly-branded IK username as would any IK rep in the future.  Glad to stick to that, though I really could have made that 4K post count SO much higher otherwise.  Either way, "sock puppets" were a huge problem back then (and some argue still are, but I think it is far better now) so I didn't want to get associated with anything like that and wanted to remain above board.

Reminds me of a forum I will not name here. It wasn't KVR but it's a fairly popular forum and I know the owner who has really built it up over the years into a great place.

In this forum a few of us wondered what would happen if we had a free forum where there were no stipulations as to religion or politics. Even called it the "anything goes" forum. It lasted maybe two months. Sometimes it was fun, sometimes it was like a roller coaster ride ending 1000 feet up in the grand canyon. For one thing, it taught me that people have some very odd views and tend to name call and use stereotypes about any view different from their own. One or two "take chargers" there were trying to set up who was ****** and who wasn't. Yeah........after a bit they just went away because I don't think they could handle the real world. I'll never forget some of the subjects we got onto were giants and is the queen a reptilian and does she eat mice?  LOL!   I happen to believe we in fact had some tall people way back when because I think we have found the bones. Man was I ever taken to task for that one. The whole thing was eventually closed down because a few there were reporting that it had them so shook up they couldn't function. 

Music production though, It's kind of difficult for me to argue about Mac .vs PC or AMD .vs Intel ....to me that's small stuff. I like to investigate it though. I had  LOT of posts on the old Cakewalk forum. Many thousands. It seems the only one who was able to take their post count to the new forum was BAPU. Not sure how much he payed them for that :)

Man go over to some of the religious forums if you want to have some nastiness!  I'm not going to name any, you can google search some if you want. 

After my brother committed suicide I went looking for some comfort and not what I found at all on those forums.  The fighting about who is right and who is wrong still has me shaking my head. Anyway I know we are not suppose to talk religion here so carry on.  I'm glad this place has a good sense of humor about most of the posts.

• Sad 2

20 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

Man go over to some of the religious forums if you want to have some nastiness!  I'm not going to name any, you can google search some if you want. 

After my brother committed suicide I went looking for some comfort and not what I found at all on those forums.  The fighting about who is right and who is wrong still has me shaking my head. Anyway I know we are not suppose to talk religion here so carry on.  I'm glad this place has a good sense of humor about most of the posts.

Wow, Sorry to hear that bro.  There are really bitter people who had a bad experience with some people in "religion". I don't blame them for being bitter. There are all types out there and I think some of those places attract the kinds of people who think their purpose in the word is to tell everyone how right they are and how wrong everyone else is in a very condescending way. Been there seen some of it. No thanks.

8 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Sorry to read about your brother, but you’re right, this place is different in a pretty, pretty good way. 

Yep for sure!

• Like 1