Total Studio Max up to 75% off

cclarry

By the way, just to make sure I'm not doing it the unnecessarily hard way, can someone verify that this is the way it should be done?

1) Download, install, and authorize the separate VST instruments.

2) Download the associated sound packs one by one as zip files from the website for each product.  You can at least control + click to select a few at a time.  I'm downloading them to my backup drive for archiving.

3) Unzip each of those zip files somewhere.  In my case, to the desktop.

4) Run the installer for each of those unzipped archives.  Then delete the unzipped folder from the desktop.

5) Run the appropriate product to update the database.

This takes literally days.  If I'm not doing it this stupidly long way, then it's really ridiculous that they haven't written some sort of tool to assist with this in some way.  The downloading one-by-one I can live with, but there should be a way to point the programs to a directory and tell them to install everything!

Edited by Lee D
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

Then why buy it?  Tracks and Amplitude are well worth it if you don't hav them.  The ST libraries will take up a lot of space. 

Because sometimes people start in one genre, and then over time decide to try something new. I started off doing stuff loosely defined within the rock genre; I've recently been trying more orchestral stuff.

Some people stay in the same genre; and that's fine too.

TSM is a large, wide-encompassing suite. I'm just mentioning the (generous) download time limit, so people know upfront.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

I don't understand when people buy such things they never bother to archive it. 

It might not be apparent. Steam (admittedly a different industry) don't charge people when they want to download a game they bought years ago, and some games are equally as big as sound libraries diskspace-wise.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2020 at 5:20 AM, cclarry said:

No inside information....but IK usually doesn't drop prices this far until right before a new release....so just a hunch

Arc 2.5 blew out at $99 recently and voila ARC 3!

2 hours ago, Lee D said:

By the way, just to make sure I'm not doing it the unnecessarily hard way, can someone verify that this is the way it should be done?

That seems to be how it works... There have been so many products thrown out over the last few years that I logged in and found I had 7 things registered in my account, qualified for the crossgrade and had $44 Jam points. I do not recall ever buying anything, but was like, "Fine, I'll bite."

I should have read further than page 2 of this thread first, this downloading is a nightmare...

Edited by mettelus
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, mettelus said:

That seems to be how it works... There have been so many products thrown out over the last few years that I logged in and found I had 7 things registered in my account, qualified for the crossgrade and had $44 Jam points. I do not recall ever buying anything, but was like, "Fine, I'll bite."

I should have read further than page 2 of this thread first, this downloading is a nightmare...

I still think it's totally worth it but it's just the installation is a total PITA.

• Like 1

I just finished my file downloads. I generally create a folder on a separate SSD drive for each large library.  I download all of the zipped folders to that folder. I unzip the folders in the same folder I created. Later on I'll drag the zipped versions onto another drive for safe storage. I downloaded all of the programs to my downloads folder. I will open them from there and install each one. Then I designate to the program where the files are located. This worked well when I installed ST4 MAX.

When I first attempted to download I was getting an hour wait time to download a 1.2gb file. Last night I left the computer on and selected all files for download. Didn't work.  Tried again today downloading each file separately and downloads per file averaged 6-10 minutes. This seems to be about average for the server for me.

It wasn't so bad since I kept myself busy doing other things. Just had to remember  to keep initiating the downloads. If it had been the only thing I was doing I would have probably died of boredom.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lee D said:

I still think it's totally worth it but it's just the installation is a total PITA.

That's what I said way back in the thread. I wasn't kidding either!!

3 hours ago, Lee D said:

This takes literally days.  If I'm not doing it this stupidly long way, then it's really ridiculous that they haven't written some sort of tool to assist with this in some way.  The downloading one-by-one I can live with, but there should be a way to point the programs to a directory and tell them to install everything!

Yes Lee, you are doing it right. Your doing it the only way you can. Count how many clicks ya gotta do for each one of those sound sets, or parts!! This is the ... well I have said it enough! :)

But it sure is worth it. Or I wouldn't have done it! I gotta give them cred for being top notch in the sound and quality of the programs. From Amplitube to T-Racks to ST3. They are really good.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Grem said:

That's what I said way back in the thread. I wasn't kidding either!!

Yes Lee, you are doing it right. Your doing it the only way you can. Count how many clicks ya gotta do for each one of those sound sets, or parts!! This is the ... well I have said it enough! :)

But it sure is worth it. Or I wouldn't have done it! I gotta give them cred for being top notch in the sound and quality of the programs. From Amplitube to T-Racks to ST3. They are really good.

It's definitely sweet that ST4 SE comes with it and loads all the sounds because its interface is WAY better than ST3!

Edited by Lee D
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Lee D said:

ST3's interface is a bummer this day and age!

I grew to really like it. In fact I still use it on my Surface Pro. It's a smaller install than the huge sound set that comes with ST4.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grem said:

I grew to really like it. In fact I still use it on my Surface Pro. It's a smaller install than the huge sound set that comes with ST4.

Yeah but even if that's the case you could install the ST3 sound sets and just use ST4 interface for them.  So much nicer!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, antler said:

It might not be apparent. Steam (admittedly a different industry) don't charge people when they want to download a game they bought years ago, and some games are equally as big as sound libraries diskspace-wise.

I also archive Steam libraries.  Fallout 4 and Hitman 2 are over 100GB.  It's easier to install from a drive instead of downloading again.  I've bought external drives for this purpose.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, David Baay said:

but bought it with JamPoints, so no-go, I guess. Really bites to have copies of things you can't even give away.

Does that mean we can't sell off products which were bought by redeeming jam points?

2 hours ago, Kal S said:

Does that mean we can't sell off products which were bought by redeeming jam points?

2 hours ago, David Baay said:

No, I was wrong about that. Larry straightened me out. Buying with JamPoints does not invalidate license transfer.

But also be aware that if you sell something, they will take the Jam points you earned for that product from your Jam Point balance. Even if that creates a NEGATIVE balance! Yep, ask Larry. (I'm still laughing about that one!!)

Edited by Grem
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Lee D said:

It's definitely sweet that ST4 SE comes with it and loads all the sounds because its interface is WAY better than ST3!

In terms of functionality / features does ST4 have significant benefits over ST3? I find its interface a bit more confusing but that's probably just because I am not used to it. Navigating to sounds seems easier with 4 but I think 3's interface is clearer - again may be just familiarity especially as I use Miroslav 2 more than ST

Edited by JoeGBradford

Talking of functionality, is there a way to cycle through instruments/arpeggios/patterns etc by just clicking up/down/next?

I can't seem to find that anywhere. If present this feature would make auditioning sound so much faster.