Korg have finally updated their GUIs!

trager

10 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Simply download your installers from your Korg account. Much easier. 

I reacted "Great Idea" but where is that Fleer? Korg seems to be a confusing mess of different URLs for the same thing!

I only own M1 and Wavestation and my Korg shop account shows the orders I made for them but I cannot see any download links.  Also in order to get a demo of the other things (but not Odyssey for some reason) I have to install KSP.  Or is there another way to get the demo? 

Edited by ZincT
  • Like 1

Yeah. I have version 1 installer of M1 on user.net site and version 2 installer on ID site. The ID site is smart enough to give me the right installer, but not smart enough for the installer to recognize the pre-existing version 1 installation and license. A mess.

Edited by LAGinz

1 hour ago, ZincT said:

I reacted "Great Idea" but where is that Fleer? Korg seems to be a confusing mess of different URLs for the same thing!

I only own M1 and Wavestation and my Korg shop account shows the orders I made for them but I cannot see any download links.  Also in order to get a demo of the other things (but not Odyssey for some reason) I have to install KSP.  Or is there another way to get the demo? 

Is this what you're looking for?

https://id.korg.com/users/registered-products

Edit: I think you do need KSP for the demos though.

Edited by trager
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have successfully updated the 4 synths I have.  First impressions are  M1 has not changed a great deal apart for the sizable GIU, Wave Station has some browswe improvements. Mono Poly and particularly Poly Six have significant improvements to preset browsing and added effects. I am pretty happy with the update and its reminded me how good they sound, I had not used them in a while but that will change .

29 minutes ago, Vernon Barnes said:

its reminded me how good they sound

It was about 1990 when the Wavestation came out. I was living in Los Angeles, not far from Guitar Center. I used to go there and play it for hours, drooling. I think at the time it was over two grand, and if you wanted all the Roms, a few thousand more. Now you can own it with all the sounds for a few bucks. How times have changed. 

• Like 1

I have the Korg packs, including the recent Triton update.  I do really like the sounds.   The previous UIs for each while really old and clunky did work and got me to where I needed to go.

I'm really enthused about upgrading to the new GUI.

I don't know if I have the heart to do the free upgrade though.  I remember the install process as being super convoluted, painful and a real gauntlet to get through.  I'll probably do it, but I have to muster up the will power.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

8 hours ago, lawajava said:

I don't know if I have the heart to do the free upgrade though.  I remember the install process as being super convoluted, painful and a real gauntlet to get through.  I'll probably do it, but I have to muster up the will power.

For me installation of the upgrades was really easy, download a smallish file, unzip and run the appropriate installer. Job done, no reauthorization. The only thing that had me scratching my head was finding the utility menus to change the GUI size each synth is different so referring to documentation was required !

FYI, for some reason Korg hasn't offered the new GUIs that come with their iPad apps, all they seem to have done is make them resizeable with minor changes, like adding a bit of color.

For example, here is what Wavestation is like on the iPad

Here's what the new GUI in the Korg Collection looks like

wavestation_4.png.6a0ee510a939075ff805a5d49dc316f2.png

wavestation_2_2.png.4147a9c0994076ad4cfb911df05c1720.png

4 minutes ago

It's not just about the visuals, there is tremendously more power in editing the patches on the iPad version.

It's true on the M1 too. I haven't tried the others. Triton isn't on the iPad yet.

The iPad GUI of the Wavestation is available in Milpitas, one of the over 40 instruments available as part of Gadget 2 for Mac ($299, within the Gadget DAW and as plugins) and as plugins only for PC ($199). There isn't a Triton Gadget yet, but all the other Korg Collection instruments have gadget versions--so it's very likely that it will be included, maybe even as part of a free update. However, the Gadgets are limited editions of the full instruments.  They include Lexington (Arp Odyssey), Darwin (M1), Pompei (Poly6), Memphis (MS-20), Montpellier (Mono/Poly).

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

FYI, for some reason Korg hasn't offered the new GUIs that come with their iPad apps, all they seem to have done is make them resizeable with minor changes, like adding a bit of color.

For example, here is what Wavestation is like on the iPad
[snip}

Here's what the new GUI in the Korg Collection looks like

[snip}

It's not just about the visuals, there is tremendously more power in editing the patches on the iPad version.

[snip}

It's true on the M1 too. I haven't tried the others. Triton isn't on the iPad yet.

The iPad GUI of the Wavestation is available in Milpitas, one of the over 40 instruments available as part of Gadget 2 for Mac ($299, within the Gadget DAW and as plugins) and as plugins only for PC ($199). There isn't a Triton Gadget yet, but all the other Korg Collection instruments have gadget versions--so it's very likely that it will be included, maybe even as part of a free update. However, the Gadgets are limited editions of the full instruments.  They include Lexington (Arp Odyssey), Darwin (M1), Pompei (Poly6), Memphis (MS-20), Montpellier (Mono/Poly).

{n.b. graphics/youtube snipped for brevity}

Good spot Reid. I've just had a look at the M1 and Wavestation updates on my iPad.  Wavestation in particular looks and functions better than the PC version (and costs less). I am glad that the PC versions have finally had updates but I do hope that they aren't going to leave it at that. 🤔

I am holding off buying the PC version of Triton while it is so expensive but in any case it might be worth waiting for the iPad version if Korg apply the same development ethos to it. Just so long as it has the same patches as the PC version (and is cheaper).

• Like 1

bump as updates available for ms-20, Polysix, Monopoly

and watch that temp folder disappear into your recycle bin ! - you might want to 'restore' it before doing the download as I suspect the update will fail if not :)

• Thanks 1

This is my copy of Wavestation - and you know I've never updated the software 😎😎   - best $50 I've ever spent I think - someone i knew was   "downsizing" their studio   and going totally software  and basically begged me to take it!!!!

Nigel

image.thumb.png.196d12dd459e688ca5a271201c527f36.png

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

On 4/17/2020 at 12:32 PM, LAGinz said:

Yeah. I have version 1 installer of M1 on user.net site and version 2 installer on ID site. The ID site is smart enough to give me the right installer, but not smart enough for the installer to recognize the pre-existing version 1 installation and license. A mess.

And running still a third source....Korg Software Pass ...seems to have fixed the licensing problem with the update. YMMV

fwiw, i had some hiccups moving from the old korg user thing to the new korg id (i'd done it before but my "free" cross grade had been stuck in "pending" for around 2 years...) and korg support sorted me out within a day

/good luck!

• 1 month later...

I've got the the legacy collection plus I bought the Arp Odyssey when it came out (for $50 or so, I believe). So I've got everything but the Triton. Digging the new UIs, both for their scalability (once you find where they hid that on each synth!), and the Arturia-esque patch browsers.

And I believe I can install them on multiple computers using the same "but they can only be running at one place at a time" limitation that everyone uses. Pretty sure the old versions were tied to a single computer, but don't quote me.

My only complaint is they want $149 for me to upgrade to KC V2, which only gets me the Triton. Not spending $150 for a VST recreation of a single 20 year old synth, pleasant though it might be. Even $99 would be a bit steep, to my mind.