Automatically overwrite/mute clips in same track underneath newest clip?

K B.

Question

Hi there,

let's assume I record a very long track with just one take. E.g. a 10 minute song. I realised that after 5:05 min, I made a small mistake. Instead of record everthing, I just want to fix that mistake.

Back in the days where I used another DAW, I could simply move the cursor to 5:00 min, start recording and stop recording at 5:10 min. Now, I simply shrink the new clip to just fit into the slot of the small mistake. When playing the track, it automatically mutes the clip underneath just at the shrinked position. So, I shrinked the new clip beginning at 5:00 min and ending at 5:10 min to just the small spot.

Can I somehow achieve that with Cakewalk? There are different recording options but none fits to my problem. If I use overdub the clip underneath the new one is still played, If i use combined the old clip gets muted but at the position where the record started and not at the post edited start and ending.

Only way I found out myself is, use overdub recording, shrink the new clip and manually mute / cut out the overlapping parts after post edit / shrinking of the new clip.

Thank you very much!

Edited by K B.

3 answers to this question

That's called punching. Yes, it's supported and smooth like buttah

MAke sure your recording preferences are set to overwrite

Select and set your in and out points

click the handy "Set Punch  points to selection" in the control bar widget. THis will enable the punch as well.

Go to town and fix whatever.  The offending section will be removed when you hit record, but record enable will toggle on when you hit the IN patch point. I'll usually "Roll in" a few measures before the punch point. 

The most important thing is to turn it back off when you are done, lest you recreate  my favorite "WTF??!!" moment...

Edited by StudioNSFW
  • Like 1

Thanks, that helps a lot!

It is a little bit different but I think that happens when you change your DAW.

Difference is: I need to predefine the punch in and punch out.

My old DAW simply dynamically mutes the old clip at every position where is a newer clip without the need to overwrite the old clip. In this case, my old DAW was a little bit more flexible. Of course you can achieve that with cutting and mute the underlying clip by yourself but that's a lot more work.

EDIT:  This also means, in my old DAW it was impossible to have two clips on the same track and both being played.

Edited by K B.
Add some info