Cubase Upgrades 40% off

cclarry

Got my attention there for a minute! Thanks for the thought though @simon ! 

Just trying to recall whether they have ever done an offer on the 0.5 upgrade?

Also just checked my account to make sure and it is still £51 inc VAT to go from 10 Pro to 10.5 Pro.
They call it an update rather than an upgrade for the 0.5 version.

Edited by ZincT
  • Like 1

Just now, synthmeister said:

What don't you like about the model?

Probably what many don't like is the paid .5 Releases...
I don't know of any other DAW that charges for that...
I, personally, don't mind...it's small enough pricewise,
and you really don't have to do .5 releases...just wait 
the 2 year cycle till the next release.  I'll only do the 
.5 release if it's on sale....

• Like 2

If they could find a way to actually put their DAW on sale more than once every ten years I might bite just out of curiosity.  If they want me to give their DAW a spin they should be thinking about a 199.00 or less offer for entry. Actually 149.00 would turn my head much faster. 

If it was my first DAW and I had a business that needed it actually producing income, even then I would feel raped at 599.00 especially considering I'll be paying update prices for life.

Upgrade pricing while omitting cross grade pricing tells me they don't really want me, and that's ok this is advertised on a site that offers one bangin' DAW for free.

..........Sorry I must be in rant mode. Where's my off switch?

8 hours ago, cclarry said:

Probably what many don't like is the paid .5 Releases...
I don't know of any other DAW that charges for that...
I, personally, don't mind...it's small enough pricewise,
and you really don't have to do .5 releases...just wait 
the 2 year cycle till the next release.  I'll only do the 
.5 release if it's on sale....

I have to use a USB port to run it on a machine.  I do that with Reason but I just log in on the other machines.  Reaper is starting to chip away at the Cubase crowd.  I don't like the GUI either.  It has that budget DAW look except budget DAWs don't look like that. A .5 update is the same price as a Reaper license.   Not a fan of single machine licenses.

6 hours ago, cclarry said:

They have a MUCH larger user base than even Pro Tools. 

interesting - I'd always assumed it was the other way around.  Cubase has always been popular in Europe since the Atari days but I always thought that Protools had a larger user base ?   A quick google gave me very little information. 

My past +0.5 updates happened in summer, when it becomes around 30EUR

If you consider what other providers ask for, say, a single guitar amp simulator, I find it reasonable.

I used to be a Cakewalk hardcore user. But the Gibson afair pushed my to Cubase for a hand of bucks take gave some use to the sonar platinum license I had paid. Still with a eye on Bandlab I am reasonably satisfied. I am just an amateur. The scarce time I have to make music I really appreciate if it can be invested in other stuff rather than IT, which happens to be my work XD

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, simon said:

interesting - I'd always assumed it was the other way around.  Cubase has always been popular in Europe since the Atari days but I always thought that Protools had a larger user base ?   A quick google gave me very little information. 

Most believe that, because Pro Tool is the supposed be the "Industry Standard"...but as you said, in Europe
Cubase has a MUCH larger install base than Pro Tools, and here in the states just about EVERY Studio
has BOTH, which gives Cubase the edge in "Pro" installations...and yes, the info is hard to find.  I did an
in depth study on this a few years back and found Cubase had the larger base.  Again, that was a few years
ago, and I'm sure, based on just "Features" that probably hasn't changed....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My understanding is that  Robin  Lobel has always owned  SpectraLayers and had a distribution deal  with Sony. I suspect that deal was acquired with the other Sony software and when it expired, Lobel moved to Steinberg because Samplitude already has a spectral editor and Cuebase/Nuendo is by far the most widely used DAW.

A recent post from mastering engineer Bob Olhsson over on the Samplitude  Forum who seems to agree with Larry :)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cclarry said:

They have a MUCH larger user base than even Pro Tools.  They know that they
have a set market.  And that means that they won't have sales very often, 
unfortunately....

Maybe in the Pro market but for hobbyists/home studios who don't make any money off their work it's not that large.  They did dip down with a generous cross grade offer.