Feel Like A Billionaire

Douglas Kirby

DeeringAmps - Thanks for your comments and for listening - glad you liked it - cheers.

Makke - Thank you very much for listening.

bjornpdx - I figured billionaire fit better for the 2020s - a millionaire just doesn't impress anybody anymore😀 Thanks for listening.

freddy j - Thanks for your comments - I appreciate it.

David Sprouse - Sorry about that - it must have been the website - the link should work fine now.

Bajan Blue - Thanks for your comments and for listening.  More verb on the lead vocal - interesting - there is a bit of verb on it. I think I agree with you regarding the bass.

I love the very up front genuine vibe this has. Like some dudes in a garage who just tracked it while they were playing but knew what they were doing. I know better than to think this was an easy mix. Maybe it really wasn't difficult, but I suspect that you took some time to make it come across this way and give it this feel. 

Thanks for sharing Douglas!

Yeah, your songwriting style is killer. May I be the first to compliment you on the tuning of those very well-played guitars!!! Spot on methinks.

The mix could open up a bit, I'd agree with the "boxy" comment, and if you bring the bass up I don't know that it will help. The lead guitar has a shartload of compression and flatness to it, and it sounds cool but it's about as 2-D as you can get a lead guitar to be. I love the rhythm guitar, that's such great tone with a killer riff.

I think your mix might brighten and open if you focus on the drums. The snare, a little less compression there maybe? I think that snare wants to breathe. And if you listen to the kick all by itself, does it swamp out the low end,  could it be controlled, maybe less sustain on the kick, any revb on the kick should get decreased? The toms feel like they punch 2-D in the fills, so less drum compression overall might be the trick.

FWIW I listened four times. Great tune.

Better finish it quick or else "trillionaire" will be the new standard.

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1

5 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

Yeah, your songwriting style is killer. May I be the first to compliment you on the tuning of those very well-played guitars!!! Spot on methinks.

The mix could open up a bit, I'd agree with the "boxy" comment, and if you bring the bass up I don't know that it will help. The lead guitar has a shartload of compression and flatness to it, and it sounds cool but it's about as 2-D as you can get a lead guitar to be. I love the rhythm guitar, that's such great tone with a killer riff.

I think your mix might brighten and open if you focus on the drums. The snare, a little less compression there maybe? I think that snare wants to breathe. And if you listen to the kick all by itself, does it swamp out the low end,  could it be controlled, maybe less sustain on the kick, any revb on the kick should get decreased? The toms feel like they punch 2-D in the fills, so less drum compression overall might be the trick.

FWIW I listened four times. Great tune.

Better finish it quick or else "trillionaire" will be the new standard.

cheers,

-Tom

Hey Tom - I appreciate your crits and I'm glad you liked it.  I think I agree with you regarding the drums - so I'm going to revisit the mix there. And yeah, trillionaire may be the new standard sooner than we think - though not me of course😄

• Like 1