CWb update screwed up my Roland VS700c drivers

Mark Withers

Question

One day last week my Cakewalk DAW informed me that I had to reactivate. i took the opportunity to do the update, at which point every time I tried to arm a track for recording the whole system would freeze up. I finally decided to do a fresh install of EVERYTHING and start over.

After getting a fresh Win10 install and a new download of CWb and doing all the tried and true patches to hack the Win8  drivers to Wind10, I could get everything to work except my VS700C. This is the same as before except now CWb can't find the VS700 in the "Preferences-Control Surfaces" drop down.

My question then is:

Has anyone else using the Roland V-Studio suite of equipment experienced this problem?

At this point I'm faced with having to roll back to Win7 until I can do a "fork-lift" upgrade, which I'd obviously prefer not to be doing.

(Thanks Roland Corp for not supporting an otherwise great piece of equipment)

• Sad 1

19 answers to this question

My heart goes out to you - I haven't BUT loss of the VS-700C would cause me to weep bitter tears of rage and frustration while plotting my terrible retribution.  So it is best for all concerned that I stay on Win 7.

CbB is clearly not testing functionality against VS-700C unless they are doing the driver hack also and I sorta doubt they bothered. 

Are you using it with the VS-700R or as a standalone controller?

I have not installed the early access version but I will while there is an uninstaller available and report back if my kit still works...

Edited by StudioNSFW
  • Like 1

THAT is very good to know! How about a CbB supported, signed driver for Win10?  

BTW - I can confirm, at least on Win 7, the EA upgrade worked and VS-700C and VS-700R are all present and accounted for.  

Now running 2020.04 build 151

Edited by StudioNSFW

15 minutes ago, StudioNSFW said:

How about a CbB supported, signed driver for Win10?

Can't be done without Roland.

Even then, it would be unusual for a company to spend resources to develop free software and support another companies discontinued product.

2 hours ago, scook said:

AFAIK, @jon sasor [cakewalk] uses a VS-700 system as his principle interface on a Win10 machine.

@scook -  this is correct - Jon uses the VS-700 as his main interface, and he uses it at least 8 hours a day.

@Mark Withers - I'm sure there are instructions somewhere on this forum to set up the VS-700 on Windows 10. IIRC it involves editing one of the setup files, and disabling driver enforcement for the installation - after that it's plain sailing.  I'm sure if you reach out to Jon he'll be more than happy to walk you through the process.

2 hours ago, scook said:

Can't be done without Roland.

Even then, it would be unusual for a company to spend resources to develop free software and support another companies discontinued product.

It is also highly unusual for a company to acquire a premium DAW suite and release it as "Free" software in the first place.  In fact, I've never heard of such a thing.

Cakewalk itself is "Discontinued by the manufacturer"

The hack is  known and could be packaged as an installer easily. Just edit the file, the submit the resulting package to Microsoft for the signaturing process, which can point right back to the SSL cert that Bandlab already has. Add the download for the VS-700 installer(s) to the downloads section same as Theme editor etc.  Maybe do the same for the VS-100, although that driver is currently still available from Roland.

Would be a great goodwill gesture by Bandlab for a specific subset of the community that are pretty serious about the platform and the craft. 

(If you've ever eaten at a Sonic, you've used a third party but signed driver for the sound to/from the car kiosks to the order desk...what I described was literally all that was needed to run a specific sound card on a manufacturer unsupportted OS, in that case Server 2016). Driver signaturing is a *very* good thing from a security standpoint.

If nothing else, it's more data points to collect and sell to console and controller manufacturers and their respective marketing departments...

Edited by StudioNSFW

So the computer and VS-700 thinks the drivers are OK. All the DIP switches on the back of the console  need to be down- double check that first.  Connection is a USB from PeeCee to Rack unit, and the special cable from Rack Unit to console. 

Turn everything off - computer, rack and console.  Go grab a drink of water.  Now go back to the console, turn it on first.  Count 10 Mississippis, turn on Rack unit.  Count another 10 Mississippis, now boot the PC. I had trouble with mine if I don't boot everything in the correct order.

Good luck....but I don't think its the driver.  Driver problems make the Console light blink on the rack unit.

The computer sees the devices and I can play/record audio/midi. The problem is that the software can't find the control surface. For now I decided to downgrade to Win7. I suppose I'll do a dual boot partition later (when I have time) and fool with it again..

(Sucks)

Thanks for all the help.

Midi set right? Should have Console, I/O and Fantom enabled in and out. Don't enable ARX if you don't have a card installed. V-Link and DV7 are not needed if you dont use them...

or is it the problem that  they dont even show up in the Midi menu to be  enabled?

Edited by StudioNSFW

3 hours ago, Mark Withers said:

The latter is true.  It doesn't show up in the control surface setup list . It does show up in the  midi though.

I'm just catching up to this thread now. If you've seen the 2020.04 Early Access threads you could tell things have been busy in the Bakery of late getting ready for the formal drop.

@Mark Withers what you need should be right here: https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013201/V-Studio-700-Control-Surface-Plug-in-version-1-2-update#

If you're running a VS-700 you should likely have a single sign on account to grab that link, but otherwise let me know and I can get you a link otherwise.

• Like 1

I have the same problem. The VS-700 (rack and console) had both been working beautifully with the Cakewalk by Bandlab until the last Cakewalk update (it had been a few months since I last used it). After the install, the controller worked and could be seen, but it was telling me that the VS-700R's midi was being used by another program. I had tried using Sonar Producer 3 since it was still on my machine, that didn't work and when I started CWB back up it said there was a missing .dll for the console. Now it's gone. I've reinstalled the hacked drivers 3 times, used ccleaner to clean the registry, added a VS-700.dll file and the cmd to have the system recognize it, but while CWB sees the VS-100 in the controller choices, the VS-700C controller is not there. In MIDI devices the Console (VS-700) is there, but missing from the control surfaces choices. I even reinstalled the VS-700 IO controller software, but it doesn't see it. Is there a way to get CWB to do a scan for control .dll's or point to it so it will pick it back up? 

The post above this one points to a firmware upgrade that is 1.2 for the controller, but it's actually up to 1.31...

Edited by K McIver