MIDI/soft synth playback

Tim

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to Cakewalk (used to use Logic a few years ago)  and I'm having trouble getting some imported MIDI files to play through a soft synth.
I've followed the guidance on this page, but I don't seem to be getting anywhere.

I've imported the MIDI files, which have created 4 tracks for themselves. I've then created a soft synth/instrument track for the SI-String Section instrument. Cakewalk automatically routes the outputs of the MIDI tracks to this instrument, but when I press play, no sound. Curiously, if I open up SI-String Section, even clicking on the keyboard on the VST interface doesn't make a sound, whereas it works fine if I insert another one that doesn't have any MIDI routed through it.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here but I can't for the life of me figure it out.  Please help! Screenshot of track I/Os attached.

Annotation 2020-04-14 095306.png

Just to add to this, I found a very helpful guide further down the forum that suggested opening the MIDI files into Cakewalk rather than importing them. That opened up a new Cakewalk project and played them through TTS no problem. However, as soon as I insert SI-String Section and route the outputs to that instead of TTS... no sound. Very odd.

58 minutes ago, Kevin Perry said:

Silly question but have you loaded a program into SI Strings?

Thanks for responding! Silly questions are perfectly valid as this is all new to me; Logic used to do it automatically so I've never had to grapple with MIDI routings manually.

I've given it another go; SI String was set to the default program so I changed it to another program just in case that would make a difference. Still nothing!

I tried another strings VST and some of the notes came through but not all. Can soft synths/VST instruments only play notes within a certain range? The parts themselves aren't at the extreme range of string instruments or anything - root is Bb7 (as in octave, not the chord), which is within the clickable keyboard range on SI Strings, so I'm not convinced that's the issue but I'm clutching at straws..

Assuming the notes are in the synth's playable range. it is very likely data related.

There is a problem with some 3rd party MIDI files and Cakewalk sfz engine synths like the Studio Instrument series.

Once the synth encounters unexpected data, the sfz engine shuts down and will not make any sound until the project is restarted.

There are two ways to deal with this:

1. Clean up the data. Open the Event List View and remove the data before the first note (CCs are OK too). Usually this is enough but there could be more instructions later in the data so scan the entire track.
  2. Tell the synth to ignore the data. Open the plug-in UI and enable "Do not intercept NRNPs."

3Oa2ztH.png

Thanks for that @scook.
Sadly that didn't solve it.

However, I did try right clicking on TTS and clicking "replace synth" and putting the SI Strings synth there instead... and it worked! So that would suggest it's something to do with how I'm routing to a new synth? Or something else?

If one synth plays and another does not the routing is OK.

If a synths plays some but not all of the notes it is either a note range or MIDI buffer problem. The key+ slider can help with range issues. "Q" in the image below

Inspectors.3.4.png

SI-Strings also has a transpose setting just above the transport buttons.

MIDI playback buffer used to be an issue. Not sure if it is anymore but there is no harm in making larger.

Which of the two methods did you try from my previous post to fix the data?

If any of the notes are in range, SI-Strings has a fairly large range, and no notes play where TTS-1 does the problem has all the indications of a data issue.

I've sussed it! Or I think I have...

When I was inserting a new synth, Cakewalk was automatically mapping each part to a different MIDI channel on SI Strings - say, channels 1, 3, 5 and 7. As soon as I changed them all to channel 1, I can hear everything.

Noob question: is this correct? Should I only have one MIDI channel available for software synths/VSTs?

@scook thank you for your effort and your input.

I did not realize you were trying to assign more than one track to SI-Strings (should have looked at the image more closely) or trying to change synths assignments after CbB opened a file using TTS-1.

Track setup happens when opening a MIDI file

Adding synths does not affect the track channel setting.

SI-String does not care about MIDI channel assignments. It is really designed to work with one instrument/MIDI track but you can send  it data from more than one track.

After opening a MIDI file, I have never swapped out TTS-1 for a single instance of another synth. None of the synths bundled with CbB are up to that task. If this is the goal look for a multitimbral synth like Kontakt, Expand!2 or TX16Wx.

Usually what I would do is add a synth like SI-Strings along with an audio track and route a MIDI track to it. Then add another synth with an audio track and route a MIDI track to that synth and repeat until all the MIDI tracks are reassigned.

• 3 months later...
On 4/14/2020 at 8:25 AM, scook said:

There are two ways to deal with this:

1. Clean up the data. Open the Event List View and remove the data before the first note (CCs are OK too). Usually this is enough but there could be more instructions later in the data so scan the entire track.

Man I am SO GLAD you posted this Scook!!Had the same problem trying to get the SI EP to play a MIDI file,was messing around with stuff trying to figure out WTF was going on,decided to check online,found this,did what you suggested and VOILA!! plays the MIDI file..made my day...

On 4/14/2020 at 4:25 PM, scook said:

The the synth to ignore the data. Open the plug-in UI and enable "Do not intercept NRNPs."

Is there a chapter in the manual or maybe old cakewalk knowledge base where it is explained more closely what it does exactly this setting?