Falls of Thunder

Jane Laws

This is my first post on the Bandlab forum. I’m still using the Sonar DAW and haven’t upgraded to Cakewalk yet.

Here's my latest song I've been working on while socially isolating, "Falls of Thunder," my song about Victoria Falls. The footage used in the music video was filmed by mum and dad, in 1966, on one of our many border crossings at Victoria Falls.

I would love to hear your thoughts on Falls of Thunder.

https://youtu.be/oktYdN3pK7U

• Like 1

Well, well; welcome to the forum, thanks for sharing this.
Beautifully done! The second time my blood pressure has
been effected (affected? maybe both apply?) in a "positive" way today;
so, thanks again!

t

only reason to remain with Sonar is if you are running an x86 system.
Leave Sonar installed, you'll want to keep all your Sonar vst and vsti.
CbB will not affect (again effect?) your Sonar install in any negative way.
You can "fall back" on Sonar anytime the learning curve is "hampering"
your workflow.

• Like 1

I remember a song you posted in the old Cakewalk forum three years ago called ”Does it rhyme?”. My comment at that time was: “A beautiful song and a very touching voice too. Loved it.” That comment might fit here just as well. Sometimes less is definitely more.

• Like 1

I too remember you from the old forum and it's great to hear your music again. Nowadays video is so commonplace but back a few years most people didn't have a movie camera so family images from back then were still photographs. I like that you created a song from your movie (which probably didn't have audio) and fit the lyrics to it. I thought the vocal could have been brought up a bit more and that's about all I can suggest. Nicely done.

• Like 1

Hi Guys

Thanks for your wonderful feedback.

Interesting what you said about the vocal being brought up a bit more. I toyed with this, so difficult to decide, thanks for this information.  I always listen to the track very quietly on several systems to see if I can faintly hear the vocals and instrumentation. What techniques can you recommend to get the vocals more out front?

It was interesting that through my many years of songwriting I had never thought of writing a song about Victoria Falls, until I went to a songwriting workshop with Aboriginal Elder George Walley. 

I've written about the songwriting process for Falls of Thunder on my music blog.

Falls of Thunder - Victoria Falls - Mosi-oa-Tunya

Thanks a million for all your support, Jane

That was fun, and totally cool of you to share that visual time capsule. I kept looking for the bungee jumpers but not, maybe thirty years later?

Nice singing! I'd vote for vocals up as well, just a smidge.

cheers,

-Tom

p.s. extra credit for your Dad's argyle hiking socks!!! A bold choice!!!

20 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

That was fun, and totally cool of you to share that visual time capsule. I kept looking for the bungee jumpers but not, maybe thirty years later?

Nice singing! I'd vote for vocals up as well, just a smidge.

cheers,

-Tom

p.s. extra credit for your Dad's argyle hiking socks!!! A bold choice!!!

Thanks Tom

Dad was always a risk taker :D