Calculating dotted quarter note BPM

CDK

I've been trying to work this out too and I feel so stupid!!

I need a BPM of dotted quarter note = 72 so how do I calculate that into a non-dotted quarter so I know what number to enter into Cakewalk (since I can't enter a dotted BPM)?

Hope that makes sense. I can't figure out what equation I should be using to figure it out.

Thanks.

HI:)

A dot adds the half of the note to the note so to get to the undotted tempo you should subtract a third (1/3) .

For 72 it will be 24, so the tempo for quarters should be 48. then the dotted note should have the same length with tempo 72 as the quarter note with tempo 48.

Or do you mean which tempo it sould be with quarter note at tempo 72 and the tempo for the dotted quarter note at same length? Then you add the half of the tempo, so for 72 + 36 = 108 , then the length of the quarter note with tempo 72 and the length of the dotted quarter note at tempo 108 will be the same.

You can do this in milliseconds if you want (for Delay, Echo f.e.) 

72 beats per minute are 833 msec per beat(quarter). A dotted quarter note with 833 msec length is 833 x 2/3 = 555,33, then 60sec./555,33msec.= 0,108 * 1000 = tempo 108.

rounded 833! For a quarter not echo you need 833 msec. for tempo 72, for eigths the half, 416.5 msec.

Bassman.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...