Lets talk SOUNDFONTs .. a trip back in time inc link to lots of them

aidan o driscoll

24 minutes ago, Magic Russ said:

Looks like they don't even sell Cakewalk versions anymore, although it looks like everything that was in Cakewalk format is now available as SoundFonts.

I just spot checked a page and while it does list Cakewalk on the right-hand side as an available format, selecting that format says "No products were found matching your selection."

However, selecting "Cakewalk Dimension PC" from the Format dropdown in the middle of the page does allow the product to be added to the Cart. [Testing done using the E-Mu Proteus Pack.]

Edited by User 905133
additional information added
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, User 905133 said:

For the record, I was not encouraging theft of intellectual property.  And so far as I know, he (TS/DSF) owns the rights to absolutely and authoritatively sell the sounds/samples/presets and to convert them for sale to formats that didn't previously exist.  However, I never heard that he had the rights to either sell or revise the Proteus X/Emulator X software (though I have thought of asking).

In fact, as the owner of many bought and paid for legitimate E-Mu sample disks [originals], the presence of bootleg *.iso CDs of the E-Mu sample disks on archive.org greatly reduces (or eliminates) my ability legally to sell original [production run] copies.  

Any lawyers amongst the user base here that want to do some pro bono work on my behalf against archive.org?

I am aware that over the years profiteers have attempted to sell bootleg copies of the CDs, but those very quickly were taken down.

Again, just to be clear, in my post above to Bruno de Souza Lino, I was not encouraging the theft of intellectual property. Apologies if it seemed that way.

That's good to know and thanks for clarifying.

I didn't mean to imply that you were advocating theft.

However, a lot of people don't understand that just because a company goes out of business doesn't mean that their intellectual property is free for the taking.

I wanted to make others aware of that and that the stuff is readily available from a legitimate source.

Edited by bdickens

I don't think so.

"Digital Sound Factory has an exclusive license with E-mu to re-master the primary source libraries to function on modern computer formats."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Sound_Factory

Now I could be wrong, but I believe that this Proteus x were talking about is just all the old Proteus modules put into software.

Edited by bdickens
  • Like 1

I kept all my old soundfonts from back in the day. Had creative Labs and EMU soundcards. Could use a utility called Vienna to make own soundfonts.

I have them all on a ZIP DISK, remember them. I also kept a USB Zip drive which works perfectly to this day along with about 30 zip disks of various audio stuff from back then inc old CW .wrk project files

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bdickens said:

I don't think so.

"Digital Sound Factory has an exclusive license with E-mu to re-master the primary source libraries to function on modern computer formats."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Sound_Factory

Now I could be wrong, but I believe that this Proteus x were talking about is just all the old Proteus modules put into software.

Not saying this is false. Just leaving open the possibility that exclusive license may have lapsed or may not mean what some believe.  The wording even to this entry is legally gray. For example, it has always been legal to sample a roland 909. Plenty of people sell sample packs with samples from the 909. There are officially licensed products that pull the actual raw sample sounds from the EEPROM and that distribution of those licenses are illegal. It's splitting hairs, but a soundfont pack made from someone sampling the proteus would be perfectly legal. We have tons of precedents. The names of the patches are often changed to some humorous version of original, but still there. I didn't write this as a counter, but more of a reminder that none of know the actual terms of license agreement and whether that license is more farsweeping than typical

27 minutes ago, bdickens said:

Sampling your E-mu  stuff and releasing it is entirely different than distributing pirated copies of their software.

Agreed but we have not established whether the files in question were pirated versions. You mentioned Digital Sound Factory without establishing whether said links were to their actual products, but simply a link that they did indeed have a licensing agreement to release mechanical licensed products that gave them permission to remaster.  That tells us nothing about legal status of original E-mu products vs licensed products. Conflating the two adds more confusion. I am not advocating piracy and everyone that has ever seen me comment on such topics. I do NOT believe such links belong here due to the confusion and lack of information. At the same time we have no way of definitively knowing it is piracy as far as what people do outside of this forum.  Saying it doesn't belong here is fair, but to simply label it piracy is not.

This E-mu discussion is academic anyway because it won't even work properly on modern versions of Windows anyway.

I found out because I had a copy from when it was still available from Creative Labs.

Those sounds are readily available from legitimate sources anyway. So why bother with  a pirated version that someone uploaded to archive.org.

"Not available from Creative any more. Creative have eliminated everything Ensoniq and E-Mu from their site except for a couple of pair of their earphones branded E-Mu. I have placed the Proteus VX and the Emulator X3 in Archive.org as abandonware."

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/proteus-vx-by-e-mu

If that ain't pirated software, I don't know what is.

Again, just because something is abandonware doesn't make it public domain.

1 hour ago, bdickens said:

This E-mu discussion is academic anyway because it won't even work properly on modern versions of Windows anyway.

The discussion is about SOUNDFONTS .. there is no problem with soundfonts being loaded and used in any version of windows inc 10 or 11. I have them loaded in CW in old .wrk projects from the 90s I am reworking currently

Back in the day VIENNA was the soundfont editor to create new SFs etc.

Interestingly there is a new editor here to create your own SFs. 

https://www.polyphone-soundfonts.com

ITS FREE and its open source ( via the license page https://www.polyphone-soundfonts.com/license ). Available for ALL platforms - 64 bit 

I reckon it is this .. Free to create YOUR OWN soundfonts and not edit licensed ones. Similar to you can legally have a radio that tunes into cops but its illegal to listen :D

Edited by aidan o driscoll

18 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Any lawyers amongst the user base here that want to do some pro bono work on my behalf against archive.org?

archive.org is a registered non-profit devoted to preserving digital content (I have personally sent them donations on several occasions, since I find their Wayback Machine service quite valuable )

They allow users to upload content and, since user provided content may inadvertently (or even intentionally) violate copyright terms, they have a copyright complaint procedure that will remove the offending content and, if appropriate, the offender's account will be terminated (this is the typical arrangement for services with user-provided content).

Instead of taking the lawsuit route, you can just file a copyright claim as detailed at https://archive.org/about/terms.php

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, aidan o driscoll said:

The discussion is about SOUNDFONTS .. there is no problem with soundfonts being loaded and used in any version of windows inc 10 or 11. I have them loaded in CW in old .wrk projects from the 90s I am reworking currently

This discussion wandered off into E-mu Proteus X software. You know. Thread drift.

Someone mentioned it being uploaded on archive.org. I pointed out that it is still someone's intellectual property and that those sounds are readily available from legitimate sources.

• Thanks 1