Audio File Explorer Column Headings

Bill Phillips

Question

8 answers to this question

you can customise a folder's columns, view, etc, but you need to apply it to that folder and then "apply to all folders" for it to stick to all/new folders

if you only want it in certain folders, rather than all, then you need to do them individually

/hth

On 4/13/2020 at 6:12 PM, Kevin Perry said:

This is Windows (10, I assume) being "clever" and using what it calls "Automatic Folder Type Discovery" - you can disable it (registry tweak) and customise folders more how you like, but it has some consequences (which may or may not bother you!).

See here for more info: https://winaero.com/blog/disable-folder-type-discovery-windows-10/

Thanks @Kevin Perry That's the answer. However, I suspect the "consequences" would be more annoying than the one I have now. I tried creating a project audio folder template and included a wav file to hopefully maintain the column format. No luck. When I pasted the manually formatted folder to another location, auto discovery re-formatted it. No luck. Microsoft needs to add a "custom folder types" option. I'm not holding my breath.

9 minutes ago, pwalpwal said:

you can customise a folder's columns, view, etc, but you need to apply it to that folder and then "apply to all folders" for it to stick to all/new folders

if you only want it in certain folders, rather than all, then you need to do them individually

/hth

@pwalpwal, thanks. Where's the "apply to all folders" option? Also is there a way to undo it?

6 hours ago, Nigel Mackay said:

I use pwalpwal's method on the root of each drive and it works.

Yes, but folder options don't affect auto-discovery which determines column headings. It appears, that nothing short of the registry edit @Kevin Perry proposed will do that. Even after I change the column headings for a folder, auto-discovery will revise them if I copy that folder.