Cracklings noise with vst instruments

micv

I've just first noticed this issue, that vst instrument when play at a high level will introduce crackings noises.  Thinking of overloading,  I checked and played with the gain.  Interestingly, doesn't matter if the gain is lowered when the signal output signal is around -11dbfs it will crackles.   ASIO setting is in the 1048 samples or higher so it's not the buffer.

The vst I used is Arturia Collection V but I also tested with Kontakt.  Noticeable with thick strings or synth pad, not so much with percussive instruments.  Does not have any crackles issue when in standalone.   In standalone I can crank the volume all the way to the redline but in Sonar,  it will crackles way lower.  Audio tracks are fine.  Strange, I have never seen this.

Also during my troubleshooting, when I move a midi note (nudge) while the instrument is being played, it will pop and crackle

5 hours ago, Tallsomeone said:

What audiio hardware and driver type (ASIO, etc.) are you using?

Lynx Hilo.  but I'm certain it isn't the hw or lynx asio.  I've used it for years. 

I noticed issues with midi and vst with releases late late year, suppose to be fixed, may be not entirely.

I've got the same thing happening with VSTs - glitchy crackling and popping noises.  I have the latest drivers for my USB audio interface (Steinberg UR 22).  And I have the latest updates in Cakewalk - just installed brand new on a clean OS drive.  I KNOW it must be an audio issue/setting in Cakewalk b/c when I run the same VST's in standalone mode (Arturia Piano v2, for example) - the audio playback is pristine.  I hope it's something the coders are aware of and working on releasing a fix very soon.  Otherwise, I'm going to switch to a different DAW as this crackling is no good - and I've been a loyal Cakewalk user since Pro Audio days.

My rig: AMD FX-8320 8-core | 32 Gb RAM | SSD's for OS, Samples & VST's | Steinberg UR 22 Audio Interface | Windows 10

If you go to the oldest CPU setting in the config file you will notice you are pegging 1 CPU when you get the crackle. Up over 80% for a single CPU will do the trick.

The modern CPU stuff doesn't really change this yet. But it does hide it by spreading the load across your CPUs.

The easiest way to deal with it is to choose a patch with lower overhead (requires less CPU) or turn down the voices for your current patch. Concurrent voices dramatically drives up the CPU cost of the patch.

You could also raise your processing ceiling by increasing your sample buffer for your interface.

Edited by Gswitz

Having the same issue, the crackling continues no matter what ASIO buffer size is used. Also the performance indicator shows there is no overloading of the PC. There are no problems in others DAWs or using standalone versions of the virtual instruments. Since this is something that has only recently become an issue, it can only really be a Cakewalk issue, potentially one that has been introduced recently to the code instead of something that has changed in the OS that affects just the Cakewalk DAW.
Hopefully it will get resolved quickly before it becomes an issue that turns people away, especially with the new features. 

I Found another thread with a similar problem with latency and someone posted the following...

On 4/12/2020 at 5:34 AM, msmcleod said:

What is your ThreadSchedulingModel set to within Preferences->Audio->Configuration File ?

I've found that setting it to 2 gives me the best results.

Noticed that I had mine set to 3, setting it to 2 and voila crackling had gone. To confirm the test I put it back to 3 again, and the crackling returned.

So I recommend that you check the ThreadSchedulingModel setting and set it to 2.

• Like 3

ThreadSchedulingModel already at 2, change to other values doesn't have any affect.

I know how a samples buffer or cpu spike 'noises' sound like in my environment, been there more than a few times.

This noise is more like an overdrive or over loading the vst, but the meter and sound level are normal.  It occurs at any volume/gain level thus reducing the gain was the 1st thing I tried.  In the analog world it's like setting (mis-matched) the headroom level when you connecting two devices.

I need to test more instruments from other vendors

Hi,

I also have crackling sounds, but only with 32 bit VSTi's. I have searched the forums and I think this involves everyone using 32 bit instruments. You can resolve it with some external software (jbridge) that will convert them to 64 bit as I understand.

I think it is a bit ridiculous that it is not resolved natively.

Please, everyone, start your own threads for performance issues. Aside from ThreadSchedulingModel=3 (which is not a default setting), every case likely has a unique root cause, and there are far too many users experiencing no such issues to conclude that Cakewalk has an inherent issue with its audio engine independent of the environment in which it's running, the content and configuration of the project, and preference settings.

• Like 1

gosh, I really don't think this is a Cakewalk issue. I have never had this problem or any of my colleagues. Most likely wifi/graphics/tweaking of your system. You have set to the default configurations and done all the audio tweaks that are suggested?

Edited by Michael Fogarty

On 4/16/2020 at 6:08 PM, Varga Bence said:

Hi,

I also have crackling sounds, but only with 32 bit VSTi's. I have searched the forums and I think this involves everyone using 32 bit instruments. You can resolve it with some external software (jbridge) that will convert them to 64 bit as I understand.

I think it is a bit ridiculous that it is not resolved natively.

I have the same issue with a few 32 bit instruments. No recent DAW that I can think of supports 32 bit and has since long moved to 64 bit. Bitbridge is an option. This is the default server in plugins area. Not all 32 bit plugins are affected. Some more than others. The Cakewalk Sound Center is particularly affected. Instruments in list that are green are 32 bit. Some have had better results using J-Brideg. I personally avoid 32 bit instruments like the plague to avoid issues.

The OP is using Arturia Collection V. This is a potentially cpu heavy instrument. Since the user mentioned problems mainly occurring when using thick patches in the first post, Gswitz has good advice. Either lower the demand on the cpu or upgrade the computer. This sounds like the issue to me. If adjusting buffer sizes doesn't help these are the only options. Unfortunately some instruments place more of a demand on a computer than others. Sometimes this points to the coding. More often it's simply the cpu capability and/or buffer size.

• 1 month later...

Hey everybody.

Same problems. Glaring with some 32bits as Cakewalk Sound Center or Yamaha SYXG50 or others ...

I observ that the crackling frequence goes by half each timeI increase step by step the ASIO buffers on my soundcard (Focusrite Scarlet 2x2). At 1024, it is nearby a half second and at 96 it is like a machine gun.

I also used Reaper and there is no such a problem.

I also remarked that some VST are ignored under Cakewalk and still recognized under Reaper. As Reaper seems to be open-source, it will be fine as someone may technicaly compare each stuff.  

PS / I have just solve the problems by using  JBridger appl which tranpose old VST in 64bit. It works fine !

Edited by André Roulleaux Dugage
Updating
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hello everyone,

Well I just googled and found this thread so at least I'm not losing my mind.  I've been using Cakewalk Sonar since 2005.
Just started experiencing unbearable crackling on playback.  Thought I had loose connections etc.  My older audio plays perfectly.

Through trial and error I've isolated the issue to the use of a VST - EZDrummer 3.

So basically this is a CPU overload issue?  I can try to resolve by throttling or changing settings but am I correct that this problem will simply go away if I upgrade to better laptop?  Throw a little $ at the situation?  Because life is too short for this crap.

I'm running Sonar on a MS laptop and using a Crimson SPL interface.

1 hour ago, Andrew Korvin said:

Through trial and error I've isolated the issue to the use of a VST - EZDrummer 3.

I recommend looking for more recent discussions by searching the forum for EZ Drummer 3 threads.  Here's one to get you going. There are a number of others that might be helpful, too.

Edited by User 905133
  • Great Idea 1

• 1 month later...

Has this been resolved? I've also started to experience crackling sounds recently in my projects. My CPU will hover around 30% usage but the engine load in Cakewalk will go over 600% in some cases. I've really had to strip down my projects to the bare minimum of instruments and plugins and even that doesn't solve the issue sometimes. Are there any setting I can change to get around this? I'm using the latest version.

image.png.0c2728612f78f21bc5f598d51077f4cd.png

Start a new thread for your particular case. There are dozens of different possible causes of crackles. Your symptoms sound like your DPC Latency is spiking.

https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

Run this tool at the same time as Cakewalk. and see what it shows. Common causes are Bluetooth and WiFi drivers; one or both may need to be disabled in BIOS to stop this.