Soundspot Union

cclarry

3 minutes ago, simon said:

as TheSteven pointed out previously  - a fire sale ? 

Could be more of "We know that peoples money is going to be tight for
a while so we'll just bottom out our prices to keep selling" thing...not a "Fire Sale"

• Like 2

As I've mentioned elsewhere I'm having a problem with crackling in Union  after installing their expansions (checked buffer size and CPU load and both seem ok) and sent a support ticket in to Soundspot about a week ago but have had no response so very disappointed in their support. For the price though (I think I paid about £10 for it a while ago) it's worth a try

2 minutes ago, paulo said:

Been here before haven't we and I think it was even cheaper then?

IIRC from the demo it was like my ex. Highly demanding of available resources and just the one full on velocity.

Don't think it was cheaper.  Agree it is a bit of a resourse hog, but I'm pretty sure they updated to include velocity responsiveness , or at least that is what I read.

51 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

Don't think it was cheaper.  Agree it is a bit of a resourse hog, but I'm pretty sure they updated to include velocity responsiveness , or at least that is what I read.

Pretty sure it was £5.99 when I got the demo, but the price isn't/wasn't the problem. Good if they have added velocity response/still unbelievable that they released it without it, but the CPU load just seems way OTT for what it is IMO.

6 minutes ago, paulo said:

Pretty sure it was £5.99 when I got the demo, but the price isn't/wasn't the problem. Good if they have added velocity response/still unbelievable that they released it without it, but the CPU load just seems way OTT for what it is IMO.

You are correct.  A difference of £0.41

I think it is a pretty good deal and could get usable content even without the velocity aspect.  Wish it was less CPU intensive, but lots of  VSTi are that way these days.

2 hours ago, JoeGBradford said:

Ah so sounds like CPU is an issue. Looked ok in the CbB monitor but maybe not the best measure. . I've got a quad core i5 intel CPU. Is that likely to be not powerful enough?

Lots of factors.  Depends on the GEN of the processor, as well as your RAM, etc.  Not to mention how much you have going on in your project.  

If you are nto seeing any resource problems in your project then you should be fine.    I usually have to put some synths + effects as one of my first tracks then Freeze the track to free up that processing.  

I certainly have other things that can be worse than Union.  

Thanks Brian - in these instances I have nothing else running and no other VST's in the project - just basically trying different sounds in Union.  I have 8gb of RAM - I've found reducing the number of voices in Union helps but doesn't always stop the crackling. I don't have similar problems in other VSTis and I have a lot!

10 minutes ago, JoeGBradford said:

Thanks Brian - in these instances I have nothing else running and no other VST's in the project - just basically trying different sounds in Union.  I have 8gb of RAM - I've found reducing the number of voices in Union helps but doesn't always stop the crackling. I don't have similar problems in other VSTis and I have a lot!

Without anyting else running certainly sounds like there is another issue going on.  

8 Gigs of RAM is on the low side, but shouldn't be a show stopper if the DAW + Union is basically all that is going on.  

• Like 1

Well I just got through installing Nebula on my new Music PC. I remember buying it on sale based on what Larry had said about it. But I had never used it. Well I figured I try it out today and was really surprised at what this thing can do! Nice plugin. So I went to the website and looked around and saw all these 5 for $5 signs on the plugins. So I load 5 of them up and sure enough, I was able to get them all for little over $6. So I went back and got the Union synth and all the sound packs with it. 

Then I said, I bet the Deal crowd would like to know about this one. But before I posted I did look around. And sure enough Larry already posted something about it. : )

Well for anyone interested, they have Nebula as part of the 5 for $5 sale. The Chorus on that thing is worth the $5 all by itself. Fantastic Chorus. and then you get three other fx in Nebula, along with four other plugins for the little over $6. Is this no-brainer territory? Yes I do believe!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, simon said:

I notice it's currently £130 at plugin boutique....!

PB prices are always all over the place. I've often seen "upgrade" prices that are way more expensive than buying whatever it is from scratch and  "sale" prices that are more expensive than it was before the "sale". 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, simon said:

I should give it a try.

I notice it's currently £130 at plugin boutique....!

Yes you should give it a shot. The LFO can modulate the Delay, Chorus, and the Filter!! It can get really nice or wild! I wouldn't say it it gets freaky wild, but that depends on you I guess! : )

And yes on the SoundSpot website Nebula is listed at $139. But if you put it along with 4 other plugins that have the 5 for $5 sign on them, you can get them all for little over $6 USD.

• Like 1