Annie Lennox - wow !

Jeremy Oakes

Annie is one of the best. A pure singer, no vocal gymnastics. I had to venture into Costco the other day wearing a mask and gloves and Annie’s first 2 albums in my headphones. She took the fear out of shopping. I still may die in the near future from some stray Covid 19 particles. Time to bring out the rosary beads.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael Richards said:

Annie is one of the best. A pure singer, no vocal gymnastics. I had to venture into Costco the other day wearing a mask and gloves and Annie’s first 2 albums in my headphones. She took the fear out of shopping. I still may die in the near future from some stray Covid 19 particles. Time to bring out the rosary beads.

Love this :)

Thanks for sharing that, Craig.  WOW!

I can't believe I never heard this song before.  Ever.  And I have a Greatest Hits CD of the Eurythmics, but this song is not on it.

The arrangement is extraordinary.  The backing vocals are mesmerizing.  And Annie's singing on this.... Wow.

I had to listen to her original just now, too, and the studio cut I think is better, but I dislike the Official Video from 1986.  Very distracting.

I read up on it and it turns out to have been originally written by a couple of guys and sung by a man named David Freeman, which I then had to listen to his original version (now 3 times listening to this song tonight!)  :)  Wow, his original is fantastic.

And then lastly... a site for the lyrics and song meaning... By reading the lyrics, it's pretty obvious, but for comprehensiveness, the song is about a guy (or gal) who used to be infatuated with some "one" who probably did not return that love.  And the person has grown up, or past that now.

Your video post made it simple for me to quickly listen, and get hooked.  +

Edited by Toddskins

Years ago I saw Annie and Sting. They were phenomenal. A couple of days later I saw Heart and Ann Wilson just crushed it. Best couple of days of pure singing. Ever.

Two weeks later I saw Van Halen. So loud, so crazy. Very disappointed.

Years ago I saw Journey. Steve Perry put on a clinic. He was so on-the-mark that he was hitting higher notes than he hit on the album versions. If you’ve ever seen Maynard Ferguson live you’ll know what I am talking about. I was talking with Maynard after the show and his lips were bleeding. I thought I would never pick up my horn again. So many years later, I’m still at it. Can’t get this music out of my system. I am sure you all know what I am talking about.

Hav you all seen this Hans Zimmer MasterClass trailer?